Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Roadster Build - The Berwyn Bomb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qzjrd5, May 1, 2016.

1. bct

bct

Lookin' good. Love the grill.

2. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Lookin Good! Love 28-9 roadsters on 32 frames.

3. I remember lusting after this roadster body when it was in my buddy's garage. I always wanted to see him build it, but circumstances didn't allow that. Still, I am glad to see that it went to someone who is making it back into a car. Carry on, Sir.

4. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good dude! Let's hear that sucker fire!!

5. louisb

louisb

Cool build!

--louis

6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Hey Mike, great build. I will be copying. . . errr, watching

7. Very cool keep the updates coming

8. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Been working a little on the roadster lately. Decided to get rid of the divers helmet distributor and go with the more conventional '42-'48 style crab type. Because my engine has the early style camshaft with a longer snout, it requires a spacer. Baxter Ford helped me out with both pieces.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jumping around a bit, I was able to use a spoon type pedal and linkage. I still need to bend the pedal over closer to the brake and clutch.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next the gauges. Found a nice set of mid fifties SW's with the large logo on the HAMB. The tach and the speedo are a little later. The speedo was a charitable contribution from a fellow Hamber! It required a bit of cleaning but turned out decent. The tach was a HAMB purchase and appears NOS. The insert is original SW as well.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Had a vertical fan clearance issue with my radiator outlet. Decided to mount the generator on the left hand head and make up a pulley specifically for the fan. I used the front and rear of another generator core, cut down the shaft (with the help of another Hamber who machined one end for me to match the bearing ID), and was able to lower it about 0.75" from where it was when the generator body was in place. This allowed me to keep much more of the fan blade to cool this 85 HP beast!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear panel time. It needed a bit of straightening first. Then I found an original well used Hollywood light for above the plate at a swap meet. The tail lights are original '42-'48 Ford with NOS Lynx Blue Dot lenses. I always wanted a set, so what the hell.
    [​IMG]

10. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Looking good Mike!

11. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Needed to shorten the '40 driveline I was using. On my other roadster I took my torque tube and driveshaft ends to a local driveline shop and they did the work for me. This time around I was fortunate enough to have a friend help me. Many of you know who Cory Taulbert is. He's one helluva nice guy and extremely knowledgeable and talented in the hot rod arts! Well he's made a fixture that holds the torque tube cocentric and the ends parallel to each other for welding. I was his first patient, and the operation went smooth as could be. We ended up shortening the tube to a total of about 53". I had a mockup tube in the car so I could get the right length.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Next we shortened the '33-'34 driveshaft I was using. I was lucky to find this shaft at a swap meet. I also purchased a 10 spline to 6 spline coupler from VanPelt. I didn't use the 10 spline end for anything but the larger OD which fits (after turning it down some on the lathe - thanks again Cory!) into the shaft tube. Then the 6 spline end goes into the '40 rear. We did TIG weld the coupler to the shaft, but I didn't take a picture of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stogy, jalopykid and ct1932ford like this.
  13. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

I am also getting a torque tube seal to prevent axle lube from migrating to the torque tube. This is coming from Bruce's Hot Rod Shop.

Next I finished my brake lines. Don't have any pics of that - but its pretty simple stuff, just takes some time to make it look decent.

A friend of mine gave me his '37 banjo steering wheel for Christmas! What a gift! I also make a toe board out of birch plywood (the floorboard came with the subframe) and made a simple bracket for the park brake lever that mounts it to the trans.

[​IMG]

Last but not least was a purchase from Baxter Ford Parts - a rebuilt and partially NOS Stromberg 97 carb. For now I'll be running one only. Maybe later I'll buy another one and get crazy.

[​IMG]

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and 303racer like this.
  14. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Damn - I guess my mug scared off any comments.....

It's looking good Mike!

Stogy likes this.
  15. walter

walter

great build!

16. p__moore

p__moore

Cool build. Neat TT welding jig too.

17. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job Mike! I want a ride! Really like the gauge and banjo wheel, it looks great!

18. JonnyZ72

JonnyZ72

Super cool!
    All of my family is from Berwyn. I live in Ann Arbor (I noticed the yellow M flag in your shop).
    Great job!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. Pete

Pete

Great build.

20. BillyG

BillyG

Mike, have you relocated the mount for the radius rods? And I assume you eliminated the center bearing in the torque tube.

Great build, can't wait for a ride.

21. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Great build! Can you show your rear suspension and how your spring mounts.

22. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Yo Bill. Yes, relocated on the tube and when we shortened the tube, cut out the center bearing. I tried pushing it out, but it was much easier just to remove that section.

23. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Spent time trying to match some body panels with a finish so this doesn't look like a bunch of parts welded and bolted together (which of course it is). I just used CLR, water, and some scotchbrite to remove some surface rust. Then a light coat of semi-gloss black and a pretty abrasive rubbing/polishing compound to buff out some areas. I tried to match the look of the right rear quarter and upper decklid panel plus cover some bare steel. Rubbing out some of the new paint left a trace of the previous panel finish. I also painted the frame, but left some "patina" behind so it didn't lose its personality. I still have to do some rubbing here and there. I am pretty happy with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slv63, cactus1, jalopykid and 3 others like this.
  24. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Thanks. This is the best pic I have. Pretty standard stuff. '35-'40 rear crossmember flattened out a bit, with a '40 spring and U-bolts. Using stock spring shackles to the axle as well.

[​IMG]

Stogy and 303racer like this.
  25. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

26. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

IMG_0913.JPG IMG_0914.JPG IMG_0916.JPG IMG_0919.JPG IMG_0920.JPG Looks like the history of this thread in pics is lost like many others. The car is on the road now. Here's where it's at currently. Still working on a windshield and some small stuff.

Hollywood-East, Stogy, woodz and 9 others like this.
  27. showrod

showrod

Looks great!! Just how i pictured it.
    Nice work.!

28. Holy cow! It's a car again. Just the way I pictured it as well. Well played, Sir.

29. 303racer

303racer

Bullshit photobucket Car looks good , wish we could see the work that went into it

30. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

6FB07598-0086-4DD3-92CE-0F073B02CD42.jpeg 78158E98-F4E4-483D-BFF3-EFC7834DC973.jpeg D3EC8A8A-B88F-45DB-937F-41B45551A679.jpeg Got the windshield mocked up. 4.5” chop. Old chrome frame.

303racer, kiwijeff, Stogy and 8 others like this.