Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Help me find some old photos of this Cedar Rapids Iowa 1940 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roadsir, Sep 22, 2015.

1. This is a great thread. Who doesn't love a 40 coupe?

Roadsir likes this.
  2. Roadsir

Roadsir

I sure had fun with the 40 this summer, that i may keep the small block in it for next summer.
    The 392 short block is built, and it ready to go back together. Well see how the winter goes.....
    IMG_1478381649.457952.jpg
    IMG_1478381674.722138.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim, Moriarity, kiwijeff and 5 others like this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

HEMI! HEMI! HEMI! HEMI!:D

Roadsir likes this.
  4. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Looks like a perfect lineup of hot rods! The small block is still awesome in the '40 and it sounds pretty wicked too!

Roadsir likes this.
  5. Roadsir

Roadsir

I'll post progress as I put the motor back together..!

I've got a '29 on 32 rails that I want to build.....The small block may end up in that.

30TudorSedan and falcongeorge like this.
  6. Roadsir

Roadsir

As I find more history on my 32 Sedan a I get a few bits and pieces related to the ol' 40 coupe. Before Girard Christopher had the 40 Ford Coupe, he had this Chevrolet coupe. Here's a cool picture form 1952. I think it's actually a 41 not 40 as stated.
    Girards 40 Chev - what about the ford coupe.jpg

Tman likes this.
  7. Eric, wasn't your first car a '40/'41 Chevy?

8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yes, 40 tudor sedan master deluxe. Car was in a junk yard in Jackson MN in primer with tuck and roll seat covers. I saw it there when I was 8-10 years old. Car went to the Fairmont junkyard and the owner put a small block and 53 Chev front in the car. I bought when I was 14 or 15 to and had it on the road when I was 16.

SS327 likes this.
  9. Roadsir

Roadsir

Been awhile since I updated this thread. I plan on taking the 40 to the H.A.M.B. Drags this year with new Cheaters slicks, more gear, and blow proof bellhousing, and will run the small block.

I did button up the hemi today, and it's ready for paint. It will be Oldsmobile gold like my nailhead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hemi head 1, foot 0. One head almost got away from me after a dry fit I was prying it up, it slid down, one corner onto a towel, the other I stopped purposely with the top my foot. Had a leather/ canvas shoe but it got mashed pretty good.

[​IMG]

1927graham likes this.
  10. 19indian

19indian
    from minnesota

At least it's not the go pedal foot. You'll be needing that soon enough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Ouch!!!
    Hope nothing is broken and you have a speedy recovery.

It hurts just seeing that for me and I'm sure for many others on the HAMB.

Glad it wasn't worse.
    Keep workin'... but a bit more carefully... please.

12. Damn ! If you would have had your shoes off .... those finger toes could have mitted the head, and thrown it back up to chest heights ! You throw baseballs with those things or what ?? Be a good tree trimmer .... hang from limbs and sh#t, climb ropes with no hands ....

( Ok, the hemi looks awesome. That is all. Heal quickly sir. Love you. ) :D

1927graham and Roadsir like this.
  13. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yeah, it's my clutch foot though. Already on rehab, took the dog for a gimpy walk!
    I really did get a little lucky, and I really didn't want the head to slide to the floor.
    Haha.....!

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I am really glad you kept your foot and the head safe overall. But extra excited the Hemi is closer to seeing its time in the car. But I couldn't bring myself to like that post as I winced away in sympathy.
    Wyatt

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. Roadsir

Roadsir

Well, my foot is still swollen, but it doesn't hurt. So this weekend I pulled the rear to drop it off at a shop for the ring and pinion change, and I pulled the tranny to start the bellhousing swap. That involved pulling the exhaust, dropping the x member/split bone bracket, and the front floor boards.
    Looks like a bomb went off.

[​IMG]

biggeorge, kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Your bomb is pretty neat and organized.

17. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yeah, I had to clean up a little:)

When I pulled the stock bellhousing I noticed it was missing one dowel. Might explain a little noise in the tranny bearing. Since it was a pain the ass to get that tranny out I decided I might as well check out the clutch disc. It's a Centerforce assembly, the disc looks pretty good, but best to change it now. Ordered it from Summit along with standard and offset dowels to true up the bellhousing.

Last week when I ordered my ring and pinion and install kit from Summit it was Wednesday night 10:30 Central time. Got an email that the parts were picked and shipped just past midnight. Parts on the door step Friday morning with standard delivery......Man that's great.

Ordered cheater slicks from Towel City a week and half ago. They said it would take 3 weeks - pretty busy, but they know I have a hard date and thought that it shouldn't be a problem.

Drawing up some plans for an aluminum radiator shroud to bend up for the electric fan.

Fuel system is not up to my liking...I think I'll re-plumb that as well.

18. Roadsir

Roadsir

Ha, just mentioned Towel City in my last post and the tires are on the steps today.

Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. Roadsir

Roadsir

My plan was to get the tranny and rearend buttoned up this last weekend.
    Dad came up to help and when we checked TIR on the bell it was .037" out. I only had a pair of .007 offset dowels that would give me .014" TIR correction.
    A buddy in town had a pair of .015's that he machined, but was out of town this weekend. I picked them up tonight, pulled the straight dowels, pressed in the offset dowels, and re-checked and got .007 TIR or +/-.0035 which should be good enough.
    [​IMG]

So we moved to the rear and installed the rear axle (now with new Motive 3.73's) and got that buttoned up, and lubed.
    [​IMG]

I also got the Towel City tires mounted and balanced. Rubber feels a little hard. I hope they work good.
    [​IMG]

This weekend I should get the tranny buttoned up, and I can work on the Electric Fan and Re plumbing the fuel system.

20. Roadsir

Roadsir

Well after getting a cheap ass rental tool from Advance Auto that didn't work worth a damn, thought there was no harm in trying the bread trick. I packed in a slice and a half of low cal, and six hits and it hydraulic'd right out.
    I'm a believer.
    [​IMG]

gmanrides and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Roadsir

Roadsir

22. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the slicks, they look like they will smoke a nice medium blue and leave perfect little chunks on the rear fenders.

-Abone.

kidcampbell71 and Roadsir like this.
  23. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And another thing.... many years ago, some guy was staring at a pilot bearing stuck in a crank and said...".hmm....I bet if I crammed a hunk of bread in there, it would come right out."

You know his buddy said, "you're a moron."

-Abone.

SS327, Tim, kiwijeff and 1 other person like this.
  24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Thats the 1st time I've ever heard of using bread. Thanks for the tip. I wish I knew about it before. The last time I had to remove one I made a huge mess using grease.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yeah, Where the hell did that come from? I've heard of peanut butter, maybe someone tried that and it extruded out so he decided to put the other part of the samich in? I was thinking of going hi-tech with play dough, silly putty. Now that I think about Flarp would be hilariously funny to video and audio.

Runnin shine and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. Roadsir

Roadsir

It really did work well. Had another stroke of luck on the rod I used. Chev pilots are .5905 which is 15mm and we just happen to use a lot of 15mm turned ground and polished 303 bar stack to make shaft. I had a scrap piece of 1" tgp turned down to .5905 to drive the new bearing in.

27. 100% Matt

100% Matt

That car is killer!!!

Roadsir likes this.
  28. Roadsir

Roadsir

Well, early last week I had the bellhousing, new clutch disc, and pressure plate installed along with the new pilot bushing and throwout bearing.
    Took last Friday afternoon off and Dad came up to help install the tranny.
    I made sure to clean the paint off the bore in the bell, and do a test fit. It was a honeymoon fit, went together real nice.
    Had a lot of re-assembly. Center X, and split bones, clutch linkage, floor boards, tranny cover, shift linkage, clutch linkage and adjustment of both. Got the wheels and tires back on, and the last thing was the exhaust. Dad got the tip of his finger pinched while installing one of the front flanges, so it was time to have a beer, and call it a day. Car is fighting back for some reason....
    [​IMG]

29. Roadsir

Roadsir

Saturday i drained the coolant, pulled the radiator to fit the shroud that mounts an electric fan too, while the paint was drying on the shroud I strung the wires.
    Sunday I yanked all the fuel lines and tossed them. It was a complete cobbled mess.

I relocated the electric fuel pump, with a new filter to the rear crossmember and rubber isolated it, and cleaned up the wiring to the pump.
    I have Black AN fitting and new hose to install. Waiting for a few more hose end fittings and a bulkhead fitting so I can finish it up this week.
    Also need to install a driveshaft loop.
    I've got Friday afternoon off this week. Plan is to put a few miles on it and make sure the shifter, rear, and clutch are ready to go.

Then I think that will be about it.... wanted to try adjustable shocks but think run it as is, and decide from there.

I'll post a few more pics this week.

[​IMG]

30. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just found this thread; wonder how I missed it. You find the nicest cars. Sorry, I don't know anything about this one. Regarding using Peanut Butter to remove a pilot bearing : I tried it and it didn't work. Smelled good, though. I ended up making my own specialized puller. (This was on a '49 Rocket Olds.)

Roadsir likes this.