Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical DIY t5 rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 47streamliner, Mar 1, 2017.

1. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Have any of you guys rebuilt your own t5?

I've seen a few videos on it and it appears to be pretty straight forward as long as you follow the proper order of things .

What are your experiences ?

Which kit did you use ?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. robbyj67

robbyj67

I haven't rebuilt mine yet. Its on the bench waiting. But I did buy the rebuild kit from 5speeds.com. They offer a "peal a shim" style shim for setting endplay that I thought was really cool. Its not cheep close to 400$.

robbyj

3. I broke the main shaft in half on an off topic off road race truck (Ford Ranger) that ran a T-5. I bought the replacement parts as necessary and rebuilt it at home in the garage - it held up fine to a few more years of Baja abuse before I sold the truck. It really wasn't hard, pretty self explanatory. I also re did the one in my Falcon when I broke the front housing putting it in not realizing that it had a longer main shaft from a V6 World Class when I was running a V8 - again, easy rebuild.

4. studebaker46

studebaker46

there are several threads on this topic over the years from iding trans to rebuilding them Tom

5. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Sounds promising - I picked up a world class t5 for $150 so I figured it would be a good candidate for a rebuild .

I'll take a look at the 5speeds.com kit , damn $400 huh . I was hoping it might be a bit cheaper . I guess that's the price you pay for OD lol

6. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Did you guy end up buying any special tools ? I saw something about a special pair of reverse pliers or something

7. No special tools that I didn't already own ....

Justin32IH likes this.
  8. mustangsix

mustangsix

I rebuilt a NWC T5 several years ago. Not too difficult - just follow the steps. No special tools.

9. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I have been in a few of them. Not too difficult, especially if you have done a few top loaders. They use tapered roller bearings instead of the old ball bearings so pay attention to the setting up the end play correctly if you want it to live.

I don't remember needing any special tools.

10. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

"how to rebuild and modify manual transmissions" by Paul Cangialosi was pretty helpful when I pulled mine apart.

11. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I rebuilt my WC T5 last year using a complete rebuild kit I found on ebay for about 250$ or so. It contained all I needed and more, but I can´t remember the seller. I also got me a T5 shop manual, but I have to admit, watching a few youtube videos on rebuilding T5s helped with simple things like slipping the top cover in place from one side, getting the input shaft assy out, simple stuff like that.
    IMG_4606.JPG IMG_4607.JPG IMG_4605.JPG

12. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

I kept looking at the master rebuild kit . I wonder how often the extra parts are really needed

13. Don't really know but if you purchase the master kit I would recommend you replace everything you have with the new parts in the kit. HRP

14. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Are the Ford rebuild kits different than the s10 kits ? I can't seem to find a definite answer

15. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

About 2 years ago, I rebuilt a NWC T5 for my '41 Chevy Coupe. I had never had ANY manual tranny apart before. While checking out You Tube videos, I can across a video from Bad Shoe Productions, where a 20+ year Ford Tech walks you through the rebuild process. He was doing a WC Ford box, but the two boxes were so similar I had NO issues. I paid I think $29 for it. Worth every penny. Set the laptop on my workbench and followed the video. The entire rebuild was done in maybe 4 hours, first time ever. The guy gives several tip that aren't apparent or mentioned in any of the books I read. Something you might want to consider. http://badshoeproductions.com/

Chris

airsix and 47streamliner like this.
  16. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Don't know the differences but I see some listed as Ford some as GM ... who knows I thought the guts were all the same

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  17. robbyj67

robbyj67

All T5's are not the same! Your T5 can only be identified by the tag that is is attached by one of the tailshaft housing bolts. Non-world class are different then world class. The book that dentisaurus mentioned above is a great book and is the same guy that runs the 5speed.com website. All in all a little extra time on researching is worth it weight in gold on the t5 tranny.

18. 47streamliner

47streamliner
    from Huntley il

Done a fair bit of research - mine is a world class GM t5 . Just wasn't sure I'd heard the guts of a world class t5 was the same regardless if it was Ford or GM . But I see rebuild kits specifically for GM or Ford .

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Input and output shafts are different sizes between different models, and between Ford, GM, etc. That makes for different size bushings and seals, etc.

Functionally, WC is WC, and NWC is NWC.

There are some minor variances over the years of production, but nothing severe.