Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 Pontiac Interior handle removal?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by fyrffytr1, Feb 28, 2017.

1. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I have a handle removing tool but it will not work on the 51 I am stripping. How do I get the interior door handles and window cranks off without breaking them?

2. ...your Pontiac takes a removal tool with a smaller slot to fit your handles,...you must have a tool for later years handles,...you mite bend a small wire with a short 90% hook on the end to pop off those clips, or I've used and old steakknife to do so.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  4. I can never find my removal tool when I need it so I use an old choke cable, the first 3 inches of it with a hook bent into the end of the wire. Push in on the door panel and fish the home made tool in under the handle to grab that clip. Yeah, you may loose a clip or 2 this way but it's better than looking through all your shit to find that tool.
    Turns out I loaned the damned tool out and never got it back and I don't remember who it was that borrowed it.
    Extra points for using a gennie 48 Pontiac choke cable.

5. Gman0046

Gman0046

Rocky has it right. I've even used a wire twist tie from a loaf of bread. Lots easier then using that tool and way cheaper.

Gary

6. 51pontiac

51pontiac
    from Alberta

I have used the hook on an old throttle return spring (fairly strong spring) and just snag the clip and pull. Worked well.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Push or wedge the upolstry as far in as you can. Makes it a little easier. Good luck.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I have 6 different door handle remover tools. None of them work on the smaller clips not pictured above. I do this for a live`n. I use the tool with a hook on the end. The tools usually come in a pack of 4. One is pointed(Awl). One has a right angle on it. One has a little jig in it. I use the mini sized kit. You can slide it in behind the handle and hook the clip and pull it out.---- As a matter of fact I made a tool for this particular job just the other day. I took a tool used to remove stereo`s and modified it to slide in and pop out the little clip. Haven`t had a chance to use it on a handle on a car yet.

9. inthweedz

inthweedz

You can flick the clip out by dragging a piece of rag thru the area where the clip is behind the handle, the clip ends will catch on the rag and slip out of the groove.. Just be ready to catch it when it comes free..

hacknwhack likes this.
  10. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I was able to get one handle off and found out why the tool doesn't work. The slot that the clip rides in does not go all the way across the shaft. The ends of the clips are blocked by the handle shaft. I used a dental pick to hook one end and snatch the clip out. I lost a few but will find them with my magnet later.

stanlow69 likes this.
  11. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

That's how I do it.
    Since the red rag is always in my back pocket. And the fancy tool never can be found.

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. I needed to make a tool for my '50 Pontiac - took a semi-long skinny round shank screwdriver and ground a slot into the side of the flat to make a little hook - found lots of uses for it on other stuff since.