Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 53 chevy front end question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim Payne, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

Hi folks, I have a 53 Chevy 210 that I have lowered by stepping the lower a arms and cut 1.5 coils. Since this the car darts and the steering is over-sensetive. Is it possible that dropped steering arms would help? Suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Got pictures? Has the car been aligned?

3. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

I don't have pictures of the suspension. Yes it's been aligned, but still has some negative camber. There wasn't an adjustment to get rid that.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Lowering the car may have put more stress on the idler arm bushing. More positive caster should help.

5. Yeah, that negative camber is a killer

camb.jpeg .

mgtstumpy likes this.
  6. What is the camber?

7. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Negative caster will make it dart. Do you know what the caster is set at?

8. This was common with stock cars, lay the spindles back a bit more and the car tracked better and no more darting on the straights. My bet is on the caster.

9. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

I'm not sure what the camber and caster numbers are. I probably need to take it somewhere different to be aligned. The shop I took it to didn't seem very interested in working on an old car. I know when dropped uprights are installed on these cars to lower them, they say dropped steering arms are required to prevent bump steer. I'm just wondering if I'm seeing that...since stepping the a arms is similar to the end result of dropped uprights?

10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@Tim Payne, you do need another alignment shop. There are adjustments for camber if you know where to look. Had to remove a cap under a grease fitting, then inside under the grease is an adjustment point. Your manual will have a better description. The beauty of stepped arms when done correctly is that the basic geometry remains the same so there is no need for dropped steering arms. Ive used your same set up on a few cars just like yours w good success.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app