Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 4 position ignition switch wiring ( 12v Flathead Ford)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Timbo405, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Timbo405

Timbo405

Ok Hambers - here's the gory details -
    12V neg ground converted 48 Ford Coupe - 59AB - powergen alt. - elect fuel pump - Pertronix elect. Ignition. - new Bob Drake dash harness. ( resistors on all the gauges) - batt in the trunk. - anyhow - car had miles of house wire in it - replaced harness but left the 4 position key switch in it someone swapped in before I got the car. - used the ST terminal and spliced in a wire to the starter button. ( Solid red wire). elect Fuel pump is on the ACC. terminal - ( small yellow wire). BY wire is dash power/lighting - RG wire is coil hot side - largeYellow wire is from battery side of Starter Solenoid. - prob is - pump runs when the key is turned to the left of "OFF" position...and also in the ACC position - which is where it's wired... should it be wired with the coil on the IGN terminal? ( I don't claim to be an electrician and luckily I haven't smoke checked anything yet...and the car starts and runs...)is this correct? - not Henry Ford correct - just correct. ign. switch.jpg

2. i'm not really following that...but i think you wired that start terminal to the start button on the dash? if so, i don't think that is right. the dash button grounds when you push it

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. sdroadster

sdroadster

Wire the fuel pump to the Ign terminal.

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Electric pump is usually wired to "run" (Ign., or coil) position, as when you are using your acc. switch for some accessory, you don't want your fuel pump running.
    However, the sane method is to wire from your ign 'on' (run) post to a separate switch for the pump.
    Switch can be of the low amp toggle type, wire in a relay that is 'toggled' by your switch.
    Relay is the actual 'high amp switch'.

MrPhat40 likes this.

5. Timbo405

Timbo405

start button is there - it's just for looks only - the harness wire that hooks to it has been lengthened and hooked to the ST terminal...works perfect. I have no idea how it was - I just went in there all crazy and ripped it out. between the crunchy 70 yr old stuff and 10ga house wire w big orange wire nuts - this is muy bueno

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That is how Acc works. It gives power to things that need power when running engine is not wanted. As for a radio. So yes as others have said and as your question ask's, move pump wire to Ing terminal.

7. Left of off is the ACC position. Right of Off is the ON position , and then past that is the spring loaded start position. Move the Fuel Pump wire to the IGN terminal.

8. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Run pump wire to Ign. terminal.

9. how is the alternator wired? i bet it is feeding back into the switch.

10. Timbo405

Timbo405

it's a Powergen shorty - one wire...goes right back to the POS to battery @ the solenoid.
    A bunch of this stems from the car having been conv. to 12V and wired by Stevie Wonder and Ronnie Milsap before I got it - trying to tidy up w new repop harnesses and just one or 2 items additionally snuck in there ( Fuel Pump etc..)
    Thanks for the help Gentlemen! I do appreciate it!
    - now to create a new post and ask for 1948 optional turn signal wiring harness diagram... Stevie and Ronnie farmed that job out to Jim from "Taxi"...holy shit...where's the Tylenol!

11. MrPhat40

MrPhat40

Totally agree with Atwater Mike.
    Do yourself a favor and wire that fuel pump to a relay controlled by an easy to reach switch. Feed the switch with the IGN side of key-switch.
    In case if a (God Forbid) accident you do not want that fuel pump running.
    Good luck MrPhat40

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Timbo405

Timbo405

re-did it to the ign. terminal ( already had it on a relay) and split the hot wire with one of those cool arming switches with the red flip cover I had "acquired" back when I was a mech w VMFA-312... if it was good enuf for overpriced govt crap - it's just about right for the old Ford! She works fine n dandy now!

Johnny Gee likes this.