Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest guys with a bunch of cars and car stuff

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Auctions are like a jury trial. You never know how they will turn out. A guy I knew quite well. Bill was a avid collector of vintage Allis Chalmers tractors and related stuff. I had sold him a C Allis and a Massey Harris Pony tractors. The tractor club he belonged to bought a H Farmall from me. His wife had a reputable auction company sell it all. They advertised nation wide. And buyers came from long distances. And the collection sold for high dollar. I seen a orange straw hat ( Supposed to be a item that dealers gave to buyers of new WD 45 tractors) that had the allis chalmers logo sell for $100! It took two days to sell it all. The small stuff sold on a Saturday. And the Tractors on a Sunday. I would not care if my stuff sold at auction. heck I bought a lot of it at auction. The Acre where our store building and shop is we bought at the state Tax forfeiture auction!

loudbang likes this.
  2. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Unfortunately....many times ''family'' members can be the worst of friends when it comes to things we've accumulated or treasured are possibly up for grabs. I watched personally, my cousins literally ''swoop in'' with the speed of a gazelle, when ''things'' were left in limbo for even a day or two when family members passed on....it's that ''questionable'' period when bereavement sets in suddenly, and nobody has energy to keep an eye on things, and then find out everything has been rummaged thru, and things quietly 'removed'. It's awful to watch, and then have to deal with confrontations, anger, jealousy, and a host of other ugly scenarios!

I remember in the mid 80's....my great uncle had suddenly passed on, and he had some old cars and parts, tools and a bit of racing stuff of the 40's, in his sheds out back....and a will was set up 'sort of'...mostly by word of mouth and a few handshakes taken as sincere and based on character ....next thing ya' know, relatives and ''friends'' I'd never even heard of were ''all of a sudden'' at the front door, contesting the will and results as non-binding, wondering if the will had been read yet!!! I remember thinking ''who are these people???"....it was like watching vultures circling roadkill.....literally!

It's tough stuff to deal with, and harder to watch when it's going on within your own circle of family ( I was an observer, not a treasure seeker, so I witnessed the events as a bystander)....relatives and family members can change into some weird gluttons when potential $$$ can be had....justifying it as: "Well, somebody is going to get it, why not me?"......ugh! I've experienced the very worst of family members, and it still leaves me in awe of the selfish and supposed ''entitlement'' they have to ''get things'' that somebody else may benefit from. Now, everybody in my distant family isn't talking to anyone, and jealousy has ruined the years in this generation as it stands....it's ugly, and to think, everyone was actually friendly and polite to all ''BEFORE'' my great uncle died, and his stuff was based on a equal division of his properties....lawsuits and ''lost'' cars and parts now reign in the current times still!

I would advise everyone to sit down, write a reputable will, and decide ''beforehand'' what is to be done with everything, legal and that way nobody gets too big for their britches in ''deserved'' treasures, and inform everyone ''before'' the day of judgement comes...it's worth the time, effort, and family integrity once the reality sets in of who is sadly gone, and the desired wishes before the reality of sadness and hurts set in all of a sudden, and leaves everyone reeling in the results of emotional impacts. I wouldn't wish this stuff on anyone here on the HAMB as I had to watch, and see the results of terrible behavior based on ''I want it by any means necessary)......, so posting this as a humble reminder;)---------- Ray

3. Mrs Beaner knows and already has a destination for everything. Of course when you're first date (sort of) is at the dragstrip when you are both 16it is just a given. ;)

1959Nomad, loudbang and clunker like this.
  4. ???"....it was like watching vultures circling roadkill.....literally! -----Yes indeed. But will,s & trust if contested cost people money and cause hard feelings. My wifes daddy knew he was dying of cancer. He gave her his 66 chev Pk that he bought new. He gave it to her 7 years before he died. When he gave her the title. He stated he didn't want to be dead farting in his grave and Debbie not get anything. And when he died her siblings told her she had to bring the Truck back? Of course she did not bring it back. And that Truck is the only item she received from her parents estate. If you want someone to have something. Give it to them now with no strings attached. Make them take it home with them. If Its land Deed it to them now . If its marketable and you don't Use, need or want it. And there is nobody you want to have it. Sell it and spend that money on something useful to you. We are making a valid attempt to do what I have advised. Its difficult for a hoarder who has made it a lifestyle their entire adult life to change their ways. First you have to get your mind wrapped around the idea. And for me I simply quit attending auctions and adding to the Hoard. Because of my addiction. In the last few years ive attended very few auctions. And only bought items that I had immediate need for and actually used. This year I went to 2 auctions. Bought chain link fence. and at the other bought a big pile of PCV pipe for $11. I already used some of the fence and pipe. We plan to go and put a 6 ft chain link fence around the yard of My youngest sons place. We want to keep the Grandchildren and their pets safe.

clunker and loudbang like this.
  5. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

Thanks Raiman1959 for the laugh. You, my friend, have your head on straight!

loudbang likes this.
  6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sorry, but based on my first hand experience I TOTALLY 100% disagree with this, TERRIBLE advice.
    My dad had a stroke, followed by a SERIOUS heart attack about seven years ago, he hadn't made any arrangements whatsoever, and had been estranged from the family for decades (his choice, not ours, and yes, booze was a big factor). He wound up in the hospital they put in two stints after that he had been unconscious for several days, they hunted me down at work via my brothers ex-wife. I should preface this by saying my dad was pretty well off, but you would never think it to look at him.
    The RCMP contacted me at work, and basically told me that he was probably hours from death, and I needed to get in to the hospital, so I highballed it over there, he was still unconscious. It was clear they really didn't have much information on him, and started asking me a lot of questions, at first most of them related to his condition, like how long he had been drinking for, how heavily, any other health issues I was aware of, does he have a will,(he didn't) ect.
    Then they sent in this "social worker" and she started asking me some more questions, the conversation was quite pleasant until she asked me where he lived, and I told her he had a riverfront acreage(That's pretty big $$ in the Greater Vancouver area). Suddenly her entire demeanor changed. She remained very solicitous and helpful, but it was clear that she suddenly wanted me out of the picture. Told me that I really didn't have to do anything, or worry about anything, and that the "Public Trustee" (whom I found out later was her EMPLOYER!) would take care of everything. She also said that if he left the hospital, he needed to go to a care facility, because he wouldn't be able to take care of himself. I totally objected to this, and told her "no way, I don't know much, but I know he wont want THAT, and it will kill him." She told me "Oh, its for the best, bla,bla,bla"
    The change in her demeanor had set off alarm bells for me, and I had a hunch that she was being less than truthful with me, so I contacted a client I had that worked in social services. She said she "couldn't talk about it at work" but would drop everything and meet me that night for coffee. This didnt do anything to re-assure me, so as soon as I got off the phone with her, I contacted legal referral services and asked for a referral to an estate lawyer. It was going to turn out that this was THE BEST thing I ever did, for me OR my dad.
    When we did meet later that evening, my friend from social services told me that the "Public Trustee" would basically stick him in a home, and while he was there, strip the estate, and send me a bill for legal services at the end. The lawyer was fantastic, told me that their first move would be to declare him incompetent, and assign a "trustee", and if he left the hospital, plug him into a home. He told me we had to get a "stay" issued by a judge before he left the hospital, which he immediately got to work on.
    While he was doing that, my dad had regained consciousness, and I went to the hospital and told him what was going on, and I told him that when he got out he could live in my basement suite, subject to 3 conditions. 1) no booze(neither my wife nor I drink, and we have a child) 2) no yelling ranting fits of temper and 3) Most of all, DO A WILL, because I am not going through this BS again! I don't care who you leave it to, you can leave it to the man in the moon for all I care, but GET YOUR AFFAIRS IN ORDER. My dad very humbly agreed to the last one especially, and thanked me for "saving his ass" from the clutches of the government.
    The lawyer was fantastic, threatened the "social worker" with a lawsuit and we had a different one within 24 hours of me contacting him, got the Government off our collective backs within about 48 hours, did my dads will, set up a POA in case of the worst, set up a DNR because my dad was amandant that if he had brain damage he did not want to be kept alive. My dad lived another five years (the Dr's gave him three months when I took him out of the hospital) puttering in my garden, the lawyer handled my dads affairs during that time, when my dad passed away, his stockbroker tried to f*ck me, the lawyer took care of THAT in REAL short order, he dealt with the estate, gave me HOURS of advice as the executor, a lot of which he didn't even bill me for, and at the end of all this, billed us $2300. If theres no will, you will NEED a lawyer. In fact, unless you are poor as hell and have no assets, get a good lawyer anyway. The key here is "good" and theres plenty of them out there. The Government LOVES people that don't get lawyers.;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  7. I learned from my father who passed last year and because of him, I used his financial lawyer and transferred everything I own into a trust which is 3 years old. After 5 years the state can't do any kind of look-back or touch anything listed, including all my cars ( home also ) because they all now have my name and or the trust on the titles. All my titles and extra keys are kept in a folder in a safe. Maybe I don't have every I dotted or T crossed but have most everything covered for any kind of situation. A little planning lightens the load on the family and I'm not quite 58 years old yet. You just never know what the future holds.

Blue One and loudbang like this.
  8. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Squawblow nailed it. A fellow local here has several Show quality cars, but told his wife that they were worth about double the going price. She cannot understand that no one will pay anywhere near his prices. Thus they have just sat in a garage for more than 5 years.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Every stinking lawyer I ever dealt with left me with a bad taste. Did I tell you my oldest son is a Lawyer. I wouldn't trust him no farther than I could throw him. definition of a lawyer. Someone who you hire to protect your assets from your enemies and he steals them for himself. If you give away your stuff and deed your property and keep a life estate. No judge trustee lawyer or even after the prescribed time DHS can take it. Get a copy of the book titled how to avoid probate.

10. finding a good lawyer and one who did all that for only $2300 is about the same odds as winning the power ball lottery. Around here they charge $2500 every time they have to appear in court. And $200 per hour.

11. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Lawyers, wrecker drivers, car salesman all cut from the same cloth

loudbang likes this.
  12. Don't forget politicians

13. embyman68

embyman68

I've only needed a lawyer once, but after asking around a bit I was referred to a lawyer who did a fantastic job and even traded his service for my woodworking service. The best part was he valued my work at the same rate as his...$300 per hour. COMPLETELY changed my previous ignorant opinion of ALL lawyers. Bottom line is, you need to do a little research no matter who you are hiring! In every profession there are good ones, bad ones, and a bunch in between.

14. desotot

desotot

Wrecker drivers aren't so bad, it's the salesmen that sell winter tires you have to watch out for.

15. donno21

donno21

Ton's of good advice here. Not married, but we are registerd in Nevada as Domestic Partners. Used a Para Legal instead of a lawyer, half the price and came to the house. Bank accounts, vehicles, RV all taken care of in a trust, so no probate. Recorded in NV and ID as we both own property in ID. DO IT NOW!!

loudbang and barryvanhook like this.
  16. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the things I have gotten it the habit of doing is marking the high priced items (tools) with the cost and the date I purchased them. IE - Welders, Plasma Cutter, Mill, Lathe, Blaster Cabinets, Snap on Tool Cabinets, Air compressor ETC. I instructed my wife where they are marked and to use that as a price guide in the event she has to sell. The date helps her to gauge the current value when the vulchers start to hoover around.

loudbang likes this.
  17. jazz1

jazz1

I started thinning out all the stuff I know I will never need or use. Emptied one building last year. I just don't need 4 spare doors for my current hotrod or two extra hoods. Stick welder sold last week,,not sure why I hung on to it so long other than it was pristine for a 40 year old machine and a pedal car that just took up shelf space. 2013-03-09 16.58.46.jpg

18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Just got back from seeing our new trust attorney. Our old trust attorney retired and our trust needed to be revised. The main thing is that I asked about cars and as long as they are listed on the trust, they do not have to be registered with the overly long, trust name. (It would be advisable to list the your trust name on your bank accounts and investments, however.) So, you and your significant other can be on the pink slips, but have the cars listed on the “assets” page. No need for trusts to be on any cars title. Any thing can be written as far as the successors are concerned. The executor(s) are listed with a provision that they can opt out if they do not want the responsibility of dispersing the “huge” estate for the next coming years of the younger generation.

If you want to leave your million dollar car to your daughter, go ahead and make provisions for that. She can title it and put it under her own individual trust (immediately) and if she gets divorced, the car is still hers. It will not be part of the community property. Anything “inherited” that is not in a separate individual trust is community property on divorce matters.

The trusts are usually very simple, but it will take someone that will be around to disperse those extended funds for the years to come. Giving something that will last for the younger generation and that they will not squander it away is your thought. You can always put in a “desire and intent” clause for them to follow. That is why there are successor trustees/executors. One does not live forever.

It was a long meeting and well worth the time it took to get everything straigtened out. Even if the trust is typed out and made official, it is only a document, but can be changed at any time for any reason. It just helps your estate not have to go through the year+ long probate dilemma. Just having a will goes right to probate and lasts until the state feel everything is in order.

Jnaki

A disappoint event happened years ago with a friend’s young (19) son and (21) daughter. They got a lot of money from the life insurance and blew it all within a couple of months. No long term income for the foreseeable future, except for their own jobs. So, we all have time to think what age will they be more reasonable and responsible. Think back to when you were, at this responsible stage. We were totally responsible when we were 30. YRMV…

loudbang likes this.
  19. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

If something happens to me, I want all my shit to be a really great pick for others like it all was for me,lol. But it will be up to my daughter. She is the executor of my estate and will probably just have an auction after the stepkids and close friends each get something.

loudbang likes this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    A will by itself will immediately be put in probate and the estate will be tied up for a long time. A friend's dad died and his estate was in probate for almost 2 years. But, in the living trust, you call the shots, or your executor(s) will after they get their hands on this trust. Within the living trust, a will is a part of the trust with similar requests that you have written. Most of the wills mention that everything goes into the trust and how it can be distributed. A will by itself is open to probate.

Jnaki
    If the hard copy of the trust is not available, most trust lawyers give a DVD with all of the stuff on it or a flash drive, these days, to the clients. Immediately copy and paste onto your backup emergency hard drive. Now, your heirs will know to turn on that back up hard drive to get all of the information. Just know who the lawyer is and where they are located. Multiple siblings within a family can register a trust with the same lawyer, but different names, so the lawyer's contact location is always available.

milwscruffy likes this.
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I die, my son and grandson will probably come out pretty well. My son will take care of the car and garage stuff, and he will share it with his nephew. My wife won't have to deal with it, we are a close nit family, and no one outside the immediate family has any claim to anything. There is enough funding here (outside of the car and garage stuff) to put me 6' under, and give her some spending money. My estate will be small enough the government won't want to bother with it.

22. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I have a few things around from being in the hobby for many years, plus a couple friends with even more than me. Whoever kicks it the others have to help sell the stuff. Actually I have already started selling off, even if I built a car a year I wouldnt live long enough to finish them all. Cutting back isnt easy but reality is I dont need to keep it all.