Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBF mini starter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by okiewelder, Feb 15, 2017.

1. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

I have a 69 351W with a top loader 4 speed in my old ford and am needing to replace the starter.
    Does anyone know what year of newer ford mini starter will work?

2. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I used I think a 94 f150 starter. It has an attached solenoid to it so there was a jumper wire needed on the starter.

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Picking a Ford Starter depends on the flywheel and transmission, not the engine. There are two 2-bolt starters, automatic trans and manual trans.; the trick is that all 157 tooth flywheels use automatic trans starters. If you have a 164 tooth flywheel, then your starter depends on the transmission choice.

Now, having said that, I'll say something that might get me flamed. Instead of dropping $300 for a new starter, I took a chance and bought a cheap imported gear reduction starter off a certain internet auction site for $39 bucks. That was two years ago an it's still cranking fine. LOL

4. RmK57

RmK57

That's great advice. Best $50 I spent was one for my 514 BBF. No more heat sink issues.

5. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

Thanks for all the reply's. I have not started this engine in about 30 years and I have been trying to get it going but, it just isn't spinning fast enough to go

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Perhaps if it isn't spinning right you should make sure that the starter is the problem, before you cook something in there.....

bchctybob and Atwater Mike like this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Check battery AND cable connections. CLEAN them! (at batt posts AND connections at starter solenoid as well as engine connections) Also check ground strap from engine to body.
    Battery condition will be critical...

Years ago, a customer had a '55 Chevy that died at the gas pumps out front of the garage I worked for.
    Older guy, acted like it was 'his last hurrah'...
    I checked the battery, dead cell on cell #1. No $$, didn't have a used battery kicking around, so I drilled a hole into the plate of #2 cell, right thru the top of the battery. Tapped a 3/8" USS thread, cut the head off a long-threaded 3/8" std. bolt, threaded it into the hole to the bottom. Took two 3/8" std. nuts, ran one down and attached a universal cable to it, with eyes on both ends. Lock washer and nut, tightened it and the car started right up! (10 volt battery now)
    That old guy came in for gas for at least 2 more years, running that "10 volt battery"!
    My boss saw it and said, "Son? Did you see what that old man did to keep that Chevy running???"
    I said, "My..."

bchctybob likes this.
  8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

9. VTjunk

VTjunk

I use a 90s ford thunderbird 3.8 in my Falcon with a toploader, worked with a C4 also. It's a gear reduction style, just have to reroute the wire from your fender mounted solenoid to the one on the starter. Works fine, better header clearance due to it being a smaller unit.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

Good morning fellow Hambers,
    Yea I have checked all the connections and cleaned and cleaned some more.
    Installed new starter solenoid
    I have 3 good battery's that I keep charged up in my shop that I have used.
    I think I will pull the starter and see about getting it rebuilt there is a good shop that I have used a few dozen times and I like to throw them some business when I can.