Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs We brought a new Merc home today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Looks like a GOOD find there Leadsled.Also looks like you have your work cut out for you. I hope she had a good title. Good luck with her. Bruce.

2. going to be a father son project. I expect it to take over 5 years.

Squablow likes this.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Frenched headlights, rounded hood corners and scooped hood sides, molded grille shell, tail light area looks modified too, and the front bumper pan looks like it was reworked for some reason. Also shaved door handles and side trim, from what I can see.

Any history on it? I love a good Mercury.

4. You couldn't ask for a better start. A lot of the hard work is already done. good luck and good times to both of you.

5. brady1929

brady1929

Perfect way to spend 5 years with your son. Congrats

Late to the Party and scotty t like this.
  6. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, good luck with it !

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

not if you put in more hours, and dollars, each day beyond what you thought was ever possible

VTjunk likes this.
  8. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

9. My job brings me all over the world. Time is a bigger problem then money. If I don't work than its the other way around.

10. harris73085

harris73085

Love it! What's the desired final look?

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Always liked 49-51 Mercs, had a '51 coupe back in '58. No shop, only a few wrenches as far as tools, and not much of a job, and needed a dependable DD, so I sold it. And always wished I had it back:(

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like an interesting start. The front pan looks to be Desoto 52/53 To run the Desoto grill teeth.
    You can see the edge of the one on my old Merc here.
    [​IMG]
    If I didn't know better I'd think that was the nose off my old Merc but it is tucked away in a garage all finished.

stanlow69 and Squablow like this.
  13. Awesome find! That will be a fun project.

14. teejay99

teejay99

Crazy 'Bout a Mercury .

15. We don't have every detail worked out. Stock dash, 52 Lincoln interior. Chopped, my son doesn't like the Desoto grills but I do. I like the stock tail lights. Power train will be all Ford. Maybe Y-block or SBF for sure an AOD. I love the AOD in our Lincoln. My son wants to bag it, but I am not to sure.

16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Nice old Merc! Great project. You could likely get it done sooner if you put your son in charge of all sanding,wire wheeling,ospho etc-you know,the FUN stuff;)

17. desotot

desotot

Very cool.Look forward to progress pics,, no pressure,, just saying

18. IMG_20170712_190045_351[684].jpg

So we are in parts collecting mode. We settled in on a engine. It's a EBY, never rebuilt. We don't have an intake. There was a 3 deuce set up where I got it. It has my name on it but didn't have the dough to cover it. We may wind up with set of later heads to open up the intake manifold selection.