Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 351w Valve Adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52JimmyV, Feb 11, 2017.

1. 52JimmyV

52JimmyV

So I got tired of googling and finding conflicting information. Can anyone tell me how to properly adjust these valves? 351w, I think it's off of a 84 bronco/truck.

From what I gather, they are non-adjustable positive stop valves that need to be "set" as the following:
    1. Place cylinder 1 on tdc
    2. Tighten ALL valves at 18-23 lbs of torque
    3. That's it???

I've worked on my chevy 350 for 20 years with the "regular" valve adjustment procedure. This is throwing me off.

ANY ADVICE APPRECIATED before I fire up this baby. Thanks 20170211_051827.jpg

2. You just torque them down. That's it. No procedure. Nice and easy, isn't it??

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  3. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Yup just torque down, unless you have the heads milled a lot then put shims under before ya torque them down.

4. These are what is known as "non-adjustable rockers". Which means, you guessed it, there is NO ADJUSTMENT!!

5. These guys are right - there is no adjustment necessary, or possible! Done

6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Ford made different length pushrods for them. Something like .030, .060, .090 shorter ones if I remember correctly.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

which, depending on your point of view is A) a real plus, or B) one of the things that makes Fords a royal PITA.:mad:

8. rjones35

rjones35

Being not a Ford guy, and hopefully not too dumb sounding, does it matter where the pistons are if you're just tightening them all down to a certain torque anyway?

9. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

As long as the cam is timed correctly, it makes no difference.

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

The carlot krook's would just fit FILL with Big sections of sponge under the Valve cover and sell it, that killed the clacking.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I advise you to lube the valve, rockers, fulcrums and push rods. It looks pretty dry. If it's a new build it could take some time to pump oil up the push rods and it will squeak badly before it gets there.

12. And the pushrods look a little clogged, so running a wire through them with some solvent, blow drying them and then forcing some oil into them before installing would be smart, too.

13. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Everyone is right on, all excellent comments. The only fly in the ointment will be if you are running an aftermarket cam where the heel and ramp has been cut down to obtain the desired lift. Then you will need to change to an adjustable system similar to a Chevrolet. If not too radical you may be able to get away with locking rocker nuts and blanch ground washers under them. Good luck

14. 52JimmyV

52JimmyV

Thank you everyone for the advice. It's a stock cam and not a fresh rebuild, but its been sitting there for years. I'll take your advice and clean and lube all the parts that I can. Thanks again

15. George

George

run the oil pump before trying to crank it up.