Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ranchero Redo

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Bondo Slinger, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Just thought I'd start a thread to document the make over of my Ranchero. I got it off a friend last May and it's got a 302 four speed combo. [​IMG]
    Cruised it like this all summer but time for a refresh. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]thought we'd pull the mill and open it up to see what we have[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bct, edcodesign, selohssa and 8 others like this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Looks solid. Just needs some TLC.

4. selohssa, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Like your truck project, maybe walnut shells would be better and not have a chance of warping any of your panels

My bud in school had a 57' black one just like yours, and had Dodge 4 blade lancer caps

I have had my 78' since 80', neat trucks

DND

6. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

As a owner of one my self, I'll be watching this thread.. I like that shade of blue..

Bondo Slinger likes this.
  7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I dig that blue. It would really pop with all the trimming.

8. exterminator

exterminator

Was thinking at first why tear it all the way down but then seen the rust- good thing to do.

OahuEli and Bondo Slinger like this.
  9. 57 Ranchero is my all time favorite car. That is a really nice one, just a few rust spots. I'm sure it will look fantastic when you are done, it looked great as it was, love that old paint. Are you rebuilding the mill? Can you show a pic of the int so we can see how they incorporated the 4 speed?

chryslerfan55 and Bondo Slinger like this.
  10. Nice project. I'll be following as well. Hundreds of '57 Ford fanatics over at www.57fordsforever.com if you need any info. I'll be following your progress. What are your plans?

11. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Cool little truck. Love them. First thing without question is to do an engine upgrade to a 292 or 312, or better still an FE engine. 302s are fine for mustangs and early falcons, but not for cool cars.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a great body style - had one but, sold it because of too much rust in rockers, rear floor panels, area below upper bed cover ( where seats were for wagon), etc - a 351 would be a good upgrade - have fun

13. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Very nice project,you will get many smiles per gallon driving it.

14. Thanks. I love the Plymouth grille on yours.

I'll post a pic for ya. Anything in particular you're looking for?
    Thanks for the link! I'll check that out. As for plans I'm going to keep it simple. All the glass is getting replaced. New interior but nothing fancy. Keeping the manual drum brakes etc. Paint color and wheels are up in the air. I'm thinking of keeping the stock caps or maybe lancer's. Maybe supreams.
    I'm surprised the 302 isn't getting any love. I've always been a Mopar guy but I kinda like this little motor.

aussie57wag likes this.
  15. clunker likes this.
  16. Stogy, selohssa, T-roaster and 2 others like this.
  17. 2-tone. Something along these lines...

[​IMG]

18. slowmotion

slowmotion

Really solid start to a cool facelift. It'd look great black w/'58 hood, Supremes you mentioned, & roll with the little 302/4spd. Be a fun cruiser. Stance appears right on.
    [​IMG]

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. I don't know, I dig that blue. Wonder what color it's going.

Wish I still had my 58 Ranchero

20. Pretty much everything that could be un-bolted was sandblasted and epoxied [​IMG]

Some nastiness.[​IMG]

Unfortunately it's had used 1/4's brazed on at some point. I've ordered a pile of patch panels from EMS. Won't make it up here for two weeks. Unfortunately the patch panels won't reach past the brazed seam. Major surgery to remove it. Toyed around for a minute with the idea of sectioning it to remove the seam but quickly returned to my senses hahaha!

21. Start grinding away 'till you hit air. Then all that brazing stuff will be history.
    You got a nice start on a terrific project. Love those '57 Rancheros.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. I'd love to find a '58 hood! The car was lowered with Aerostar coils in front and 2"blocks in the back. Sits perfect IMO and rarely drags anywhere.

brEad likes this.
  23. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I am watching. Rancheros are my favorite, building one right now. Have a thread over on the 57 site. Love the stance of yours. I cut 1 3/4 turns out of the stock coils. Was a 292 car.

Hit that braze with a course grit sand blast and epoxy primer will stick with it all day.

24. Here's a little inspiration iphone pictures 226.JPG iphone pictures 226.JPG iphone pictures 222.JPG .

25. ELRANCHO

ELRANCHO

27. Get those rubber cowl drains replaced before you put the front fenders back on permanently. That's a large portion of why your floors are rotted out.

deadbeat and OahuEli like this.
  28. These ones? My floors are okay actually but these drains look like they've been replaced with a section of rad hose or something. Can't quite tell.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[​IMG]

selohssa likes this.
  29. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Who did the sand? blasting?