Register now to get rid of these ads!

Master cylinder swap on 51 Mercury?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Jul 16, 2008.

1. i was wondering about the side ear and the frame.....it goes over it. i haven't look real close at his frame but i do remember thinking the the ear would be into the rail.

2. mikes51

mikes51

You are right, that is why the bracket locates the m/c above the frame, the pushrod goes up at an angle now. locating the m/c above the frame clears the inside ear and let's the lines that come out of the m/c sit just on top of the frame.

3. CathyH

CathyH

Fat Hack,

It's very kind of you to be working on my Merc, but it's not right that you are spending your own money to work on my car just because I paid your friend and a fellow HAMBer $3720 in advance to work on it, and he apparently spent the money and won't respond to my PM asking about the work. You're not responsible for your friend, and it's not your fault that I'm such a big idiot. At this point, I can't afford to spend another penny on the car, and definitely don't want you spending your money on it. I've given up on my dream of owning a Merc, and have hopefully learned a lesson about trusting people. Thanks again for all of your efforts, but it's not your responsibility to try and pick up the pieces behind someone just because they're a friend of yours.

Cathy H.

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

He WAS a friend of mine! Your car is going to get done, and driven down to you...despite the setback encountered here. It ain't over yet, and I will be having a word or two with the guy you paid to do the work...believe me!!

In the meantime, I'm doing what I can to get your ride back on the road! :)

(The new brake shoes arrived today and NAPA actually had the hardware in stock! Not in kit form, but they had all the stuff available seperately!)

5. I made my own version of this bracket this weekend but have not had a chance to see how the rod will work. Does it just run up hill or do you have to modify it somewhat?

6. mikes51

mikes51

I just remember adjusting the length of the push rod to fine tune the fit.

My memory of the design was: imagine you place the new m/c against the stock merc brake pushrod. You keep the bore of the m/c parallel with the push rod. Then you rotate the pushrod and m/c as a unit up (rotating about the pin that connects the pushrod to the pedal assembly). Rotate up just enough to clear the m/c ear and let the brake lines clear the frame top surface.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008

7. Does anyone know specifically what make and model had the residual valves built in?​

8. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

According to my memory, most drum/drum dual reservoir master cylinders from the late 60s/early 70s had residual valving built into them. Most Ford and GM ones for sure...I'm not certain about Mopar/AMC.

9. gm's did (drum/drum only) but not all ford did, the mustang master i was going to use ('67 i believe) did NOT have them.....but the chrysler master i'm using does (69 chrysler). the chrysler master has a 4 bolt foot unlike the fords/gms.

10. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Good info there!!! :)

I'm leaning towards using a GM master anyway...this just kinda clinched it!!

(On an unrelated note...I just gotta throw down props for NAPA! They usually end up having stuff to rebuild the brakes on these cars in STOCK! Jennifer at the big warehouse in Taylor (or Romulus?) has been instrumental in helping me get this car as far along as it is!)

I may be "battin' clean-up" here, but it could be a blessing in disguise...since I know now that the brakes will be done RIGHT, not half-assed!!

:cool:

11. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

I'm using the fatman bracket with a 68-76 corvette master with a 1" bore. Had to shorten the pushrod about an inch. No residual valves and no problems, although I do have 4 disc brakes...

12. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Damn! 4-wheel discs, eh?! Pretty cool!! :cool:

13. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm reviving this old thread. I have a '51 Merc also, and since I have the frame apart, I would like to upgrade the master cylinder to a dual reservoir with built in residual valves. Does anyone else have additional information to share about this topic? I'll try calling Fatman tomorrow to see if the bracket is still available. Recommendations for a master cylinder from a specific vehicle? I was just browsing ebay for a suitable replacement. If I am using drums all around, am I able to use a power booster?

14. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

15. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

we have a bracket that mounts the Wilwood 260-7563 remote dual master in the stock location. Bracket runs 35 plus shipping.

16. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Scarebird,
    Great, thank you for the info.

17. oldcarfart

oldcarfart

IIRC Speedway has the adapter.

18. mercjurij

mercjurij

Hi guys, does someone know the adapter size for the breaklining from mid 70 chevy dualmaster cylinder to the original 1950 merc brakelines? Thanks

19. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

Anyone have any photos of this actually installed?

PB080003.JPG