Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need advice on wire wheels for my "A"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ricky Rocket, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Ricky Rocket

Ricky Rocket

Hello, a large local swap meet is coming up next weekend and I'd like to pick up some wheels for my '31 Ford Coupe. I'm running no fenders, not channeled on the stock "A" frame. I plan on mounting the front spring perches on the split radius rods and shifting the axle forward a few inches...also contemplating picking up a 4" dropped axle in the future. I'm running the stock rear spring and banjo rear right now. I have 19" wire wheels all the way around now but want to put at least 16" on the rear; I'm looking for the "big and little" look. My question is what wheels to look out for at the swap meet (size wise)? Did the 16" wire wheels come in different widths? I'd like to have skinny fronts and wider backs with running some retro biased tires. I could use some advice on wheel/tire combos and some pictures if you have them. This is the look I'd like to achieve.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance, Rick.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  2. '35 Ford wires are a popular choice. HRP

3. Ricky Rocket

Ricky Rocket

Can anybody tell me by looking at the red coupe what size/width wheels they are? To be honest I'm kind of new at this and I'll need to be looking for wheels using a tape measure. Also, any input on the tires on the coupe?

4. That A is all rubber. 35 wires are all the same width

5. redo32

redo32

Hi Roadmaster, The red coupe has 16" 1935 Ford wheels. They are all the same width, I have a couple at the shop I could measure, but I think they are 4". If I'm guessing wrong I'm sure a Model A expert will correct me. Notice the car sets pretty good with this combo, maybe 5.60 or 6.00 on the front & 7.60 on the rear. Also the wishbone is stock. I would recommend getting that dropped axle and a reverse eye spring to see if it it sits right for you. Hydraulic brakes and some speed equipment for the banger and you've got a sweet little car. My humble opinion.

1949 Roadmaster likes this.
  6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

that coupe looks to have 5.50x16 fronts and 7.50x16 rears...Firestone bias ply tires...on 1935 Ford 16" wire wheels...16"x4".

7. Ricky Rocket

Ricky Rocket

Thanks guys, I guess I know what to keep an eye out next weekend for the wheels; guess I'll have to look into buying the tires new.

8. Ricky Rocket

Ricky Rocket

The swap meet was a bust, mostly newer stuff and what vintage Ford parts were being sold must have been solid gold under the rust for the prices they wanted. Anyway, I did find a set of four 16" x 4" 1935 wire wheels on Craigslist for $75. They are in great shape and need only blasting and painting. Next, to find a source for the Coker tires. I just joined the Alliance, so maybe I can get a deal?

9. Before you blast and paint them check to see that they are round and don't have too much runout (1/8 max?). If you are running the '40-'48 hydraulic brakes be sure to run adapters (see http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/40-ford-wheels-on-a-model-a.750368/#post-8330045)

Charlie Stephens

10. lucky-13

lucky-13
    from Sacramento

An idea if you can't find them check rally America they make new spokes in wider widths and sizes. They are really nice.

11. Check the lug nut seats also.

12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

You would be real lucky to buy four straight wheels in your first go. It seems i gotta buy 8 to get four straight ones. They must be spun to really tell. Someone on here said he could straighten a wheel with a block of wood and a sledge. But i havent tried it yet.

13. clem

clem

35 wires are 4". You can always widen the rears to 5"- 6". Those rear tyres may even be 8.25 x16.

14. Ricky Rocket

Ricky Rocket

IMG_0385.JPG

Finished my wheels.

Oldbill51 likes this.
  15. Ricky Rocket

Ricky Rocket

Wheels and tires don't look too bad on the A.
    IMG_1229.JPG

16. desotot

desotot