Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Are 49 shoebox bumpers the same width as 51 bumpers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knghtcadi, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Ok last question on this topic , does anyone know if these year bumper are the same width I'm trying to narrow down my ideas on what I can adapt to my 47 Plymouth. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. fastford1956

fastford1956

I am not sure but if you are looking for one. I might have one still in a factory wraper nos . I'll try to look on what I have and measure

Sent from my VS985 4G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Yes I have found a nice rechromed original for a decent price so I guess it depends on what your asking for it and is it a 49 or 51 ? Thanks for checking though

4. fastford1956

fastford1956

5. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Ok if they're accessible can you see if they're the same width and if your selling them throw me some numbers you want for them. Thank you

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yes it will fit.. I put a 51 bumper on my 49 Ford in 1964 after a very minor rea end accident...

7. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Ok thanks that brawdens my search

8. I have 49 Bumpers on my 51 Ford. I can tell you with confidence they are not all the same. Not that you can't make them work. 49's are all smooth, the arc across from side to side is much flatter than 50's. 50's have a ridge in them and just a bit more curve but will bolt to the 49 frame and/or brackets. 51 is a total different unit. 51 Brackets are 51 only and the Bumper face has a total different profile as well as arc from side to side. To install the 49 bumpers on my 51 I had to re shape the lower pan of the grill as well as the dust shield for the rear. I also found it was easier to hand build all the brackets rather than try to re drill any stock ones being they are spring steel. Now let me add to this, I've been told I'm a bit Anal about how things fit. Some people just don't care about correct and for them Close Enough is all they want. Yes the bumper bracket bolt holes in the frames are the same so you can mount things up. However just hanging there didn't work for me. I also shortened the tips of the front bumper so it ended at the wheel well opening instead of extending into the opening. Looks real simple when just viewing the car. That's not so true.
    Here is a profile of the rear bumpers, notice the rib in the bumper on the Convert. That's a stock 51. My Green car has the 49 on it. They have a totally different face profile.
    The Wizzard
    P1010190.JPG

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sorry.. Maybe it was a 50 bumper on my 49.. I know it had a ridge in it while my 49 did not and it was 60 years ago.. Sorry for any confusion....

10. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Thanks for all the info , my plan was to put a 49 front bumper on the front of my 47 Plymouth because it's smooth and looked to have the right shape and for the rear I was thinking the 51 because it had the recess for the tag guard that I wanted to put on since my tag will go on the rear bumper. As far as brackets go I'm already going to have to fab them but I figured these would be a good custom look but I didn't realize the 51 had that rib so it might not look right on the back if I have the 49 on the front , what do you think ?

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Crazy. The Ford guys would kill for Plymouth ribbed bumpers. Plymouth guy has to have a Ford bumper.
    The Deuce guys still haven't switched over to Model A frames...yet...

Knghtcadi likes this.
  12. Here are a couple more photos showing 49 and a 51 front bumpers profiles.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

13. Well, I can't tell you what might or might not look right for you. I can tell you as you can see from the photos the 49 and the 51 Bumpers side by side look like they came from 2 different brands of vehicles. Myself, I would not mix them up. I'd do 49 or 50 or 51 on both ends if I were going to do anything at all.
    Like I said before, I'm kind of Anal according to some people. I think it's a sideways complement.
    The Wizzard

14. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Your right they're not the ribbed ones though and they're pretty mangled up , ford bumpers are the only ones I like that I can find though

15. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

Yes your right I see the differences better now so that helps me , my last delima will be to just use two front bumpers since my rear bumper is so short on the ends and almost flat , so thanks again for the help

16. Glad I could help ya out a bit.

Knghtcadi likes this.