Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955-59 Chevrolet/GMC Suburban (Carryall)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by castanonkustom, Aug 26, 2009.

1. suburban59.jpg He wanted $7500 firm, had a few small holes here and there, dash was cut, wrong side windows, original motor trans that ran off a jug under the dash 10 years ago when the photo was taken. He stuck it in his garage right away after that photo was taken with everything still spinning free when I looked at it. He also had a 59 NAPCO suburban that was roached as far as body goes that he wanted to swap the 4x4 and side windows into this one $2500.
    It was nice and too original to make a tow vehicle out of, I would have used the frame, front axle and body only so I thought it was a bit high for what I wanted to do and for what I had to add to it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. squirrel

squirrel

wow....I paid a grand for my 57 in 1998, the body had some rough parts but a lot of nice parts too (the quarters were in pretty good shape). And it drove after I got it home and added brake fluid and gas. I did end up replacing the frame and front sheet metal, it had been hit kind of hard in the front.

They sure are getting hard to find...

Durbinspeedshop likes this.
  3. I know of a 59 GMC with a chevy front clip and no glass for 3500 in Arkansas, just seen a 57 with one piece side windows for 4000 in Iowa and a 55 panel in Kansas for 5000. They are out there but buying sight unseen is always a tough call. suburbangmc.jpg suburban57.jpg suburbanp.jpg

4. Yes, that's the factory spot for the spare tire on the Panel. Also, one key is standard. It's on the passenger side because that's the "curb" side- when you pull up to the sidewalk it'll be on that side instead of fumbling with your key while standing in traffic.

5. Durbinspeedshop

Durbinspeedshop
    from Missouri

[​IMG]this is my buddies 56 suburban, they are wicked cool,got some tacky ass wheels though

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Wow! Doesn't a 4-71 weigh almost 1,800 pounds?

7. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

[​IMG]
    A photo I snapped in Montana about 15 years ago of a Napco carryall.

8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Same feller had this Travelall, as well.
    [​IMG]

czuch likes this.
  9. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

This one was in Missouri. I wanted the tailgate, but couldn't justify the $600 to buy the whole thing at that time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I bought that gas tank out of this panel in Cabool. The rest of it might still be there.
    [​IMG]

11. Barn Find,

That panel on the passenger side is exactly what I need (turns out the 1 ton wheel lip is different)... if it's close to you, could you ask about it for me?

Many thanks, Bill (aka, Mac the Yankee)

12. The military motor that it replaced wasn't light by any means. Right @1800 (1780 net weight).

13. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Look up John's Auto Salvage in Cabool, MO. Call them and aks them if it's still there. It's hours away from me and it's been years since I was there.

14. Thanks Barn Find- will do!

15. I have a 59 i just finished for sale in southern oh.All new air ride system,.LS 5.3 twin turbo 4l60 posi rear end..asking 12k

16. 59100

Dear Guys, this is now my 1959 GMC Suburban. I bought it in LA, California and took it over to Munich, Germany. It still some work to do, still searching parts, but I love to drive it. 20151221_111837.jpg 20160518_225250.jpg Some more pics after arriving and

bq874 likes this.
  17. 59100

takin apart it looks right now in white mat. 20160806_114549.jpg

18. 59100

Does someone has lower his original front axle with a dropped axle? I can´t usa a mustang front end.
    Also I plan to lower the rear end (original leaf springs) with a flip kit. Does someone has done it?
    I´m still searching for parts. I need the locks for the slide windows. It would be great to get a picture how they look like. Thanks Andy

19. squirrel

squirrel

this is what the locks look like. Pretty simple, and you might already have the lower part. The piece on the glass is what gets lost easily. I have these three from taking the windows out of 3 suburbans. They are hard to find.

you can buy a dropped axle for the front. A flip in the rear should not require a kit, just some cutting/welding work. But it will drop it too low, I think. I used front spring hangers to mount the rear springs under the frame, when I flipped mine...it worked pretty well. Might be more difficult to find the parts over there, than it is here.

IMG_20171007_073047.jpg IMG_20171007_073055.jpg IMG_20171007_073255.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 59100

Thanks a lot for your answer, your pics and the information sheet. Now I also know the correct name of the window locks. One of mine window pushers is missing but also all 4 catch assemblies. Yes it´s hard to find special parts for a 1955-1959 Suburban. No junkyards. Some panel arround here, but since 20 years I never saw a Burb in Germany. Also I have a 55 Chevy 2 dr. Wagon since that time. Only twice in Germany. You might won´t sell them four and also one pusher too?
    Very well execution on your rear end. I have also a rear end conversion kit from the 55 with lowering blocks at home. But as you wrote it might be later to low. I will try your tip. What kind of dropped do you have? A guy is selling a 3 until 7 inch dropped axle, belongs of the situation the leaf springs. I thinks 7 inch is very low and the end.
    I plan to use the original leaf springs at front to have a well ride. Thanks a lot for help.

21. squirrel

squirrel

you don't want the front axle to hang below the bottom of the wheels (scrub line)

I never have a good time mailing anything overseas, unfortunately.

22. RamJet1

RamJet1

I guessing that the catch assembly is steel with welded or captured nuts and the handle on the glass is stainless steel?
    If I had one in hand, or some good pictures with dimensions, it would be an interesting challenge to try to make those.

The wife wants one of these for her daily, and a couple times I almost got one.
    Someday.

23. 59100

It´s very well you posted the picture about the catch assemblies. Until no there is no picture how they look like.
    First I tought to make it by myself, but it´s might be a special spring steel, to get the turns. Here pictures about 49-54 which I found it. Suburban Locks 1949 - 1954 .PNG
    No problem. If you might be interessted, a friend of mine live in Los Angeles, Bellflower. He could arrange it for me.

24. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The big GMC/Chevy Suburban was a mainstay in our 70’s neighborhood. Our neighbor carried a ton of stuff in the back of his two toned vehicle. In driving around with them, it was obvious that the vehicle was quite large. Finding a parking spot without infringing on other spots was a chore. Making sure it did not stick out too far at those angled parking spots in the beach parking spaces was a game to be played every time they went to the local lots.

But, this big Suburban had its qualities that could not be overlooked. Like the driving angle of the old VW, Econoline and Chevy vans? This one had it in spades, plus it had a motor in front for more protection than those sheet metal noses of the early vans. The panorama view from the front seats was outstanding. Driving with power steering was a must and made it a lot easier to drive. Plus, the room in the back was tremendous...Surf boards for a whole surf camp could be stashed back there with accessories to boot.

Even though we were always sitting higher than the rest of the moving vehicles around us, the big outside mirrors helped our defensive driving plans and moves. When we got our 2nd 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, that was one thing making the fun drive a little tiring and “shaky.” We had the small 4 inch outside mirrors for viewing along that long dark blind spot in the rear quarter area of all 40 sedan deliveries.

My wife loved driving the 2nd 40 Ford Sedan Delivery because of the SBC, A/C, auto, comfortable seats and a great ride. But, her biggest complaint was the sight line to the rear, over the shoulder view. Where were those pesky cars in that lane next to her? Sure those 4 inch mirrors showed something, but it was like looking at a needle head while trying to thread it through that loop. What to do?

Jnaki

Jump up many years later. In our conversations about getting another hot rod for just cruising around on those great So Cal days, another 40 sedan delivery was brought up by her. But, no, was the answer unless something was done about the outside view. She liked the station wagon idea, 59 Chevy wagon, a 62 Chevy 4 door a 65 2 door Chevelle wagon, or a 1970 2 door Nova wagon. I could go for any of those…
    upload_2017-10-11_7-29-50.png upload_2017-10-11_7-30-10.png
    upload_2017-10-11_7-30-22.png upload_2017-10-11_7-30-36.png
    choices, choices, choices...
    But, I still favored the 40 sedan delivery. So, HAMB’s “The Moose” was kind enough to do his “magic” on some sedan deliveries with his expertise and …blind spot problem solved… Now, about the cost…and purists stand back…
    upload_2017-10-11_7-34-22.png 40 Suburban
    upload_2017-10-11_7-34-40.png 40 Nomad
    Ok, maybe not everyone's cup of tea... But, one of the other modern wagons will solve our dilemma, or this cool looking 55 Chevy Suburban, with clear rear quarter vision…yes…that may be the answer.

Grand daughter’s stuff? Not a problem… Grand daughter’s friends in the car pool? Bring it on…room for the whole troop… long distance driving and camping? Yes… Those pre-teens would think it was also, cool to boot !
    upload_2017-10-11_7-38-59.png
    upload_2017-10-11_7-39-13.png