Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Weird little console ID help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Feb 2, 2017.

1. IMG_0215.JPG IMG_0214.JPG i just got This thing for my 48 plym. The seller and I don't know what it's from. The latch looks 55-70's GM the styling looks like 63 GM. Any help would be nice. the lid and the box are cast.
    Thanks
    Scotty T

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. 3340

3. i think it's way too small for that. that is a stool it's sitting on, for a size reference.

4. Squablow

Squablow

I had a similar one that came out of an early 60's Ranchero but on mine the fins were deeper and they continued over the front.

5. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Lid looks a lot like 61-63 Pontiac console lids.

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Very early Nova, Tempest, F85, Corvair maybe.
    KK

7. i'm thinking small GM also but google won't show me one! seems way too small for a commercial application. i have done many specific searches and found several consoles but not the same one.

8. Squablow

Squablow

Is the lid die-cast? Any casting numbers in it? Is the lower part fiberglass, plastic, steel?

9. Sure looks like the one in my father's 64 grand prix

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The lock/push button was used at least as early as '49 on GM products glove boxes.
    The lid itself is similar in design/construction to '48/'53 era Chevrolet pickup
    glove box door but it is oriented differently. Bottom line for me is, I don't know
    what it is from specifically, but think GM is most likely. Could even be from something like GM Truck and Coach Division from that era.

Ray

Squablow likes this.
  11. millersgarage and partsdawg like this.
  12. the lid and the body/box are cast. don't see any numbers. not a grand prix. most GM consoles in 63-4 have similar style. the GM lock/latch looks to be original.

13. A ride in the HEMI Plymouth.........................................................(some day)
    <<<

14. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I took a picture today of a chevy dash, think maybe a impala but not sure.
    Was the glove box door that is really close to your door, that I thought was unique.
    It is a lousy picture as the shed is dark, I was not there to look at the dash. Might give a general idea of the time that chevy was doing the chrome doors.
    IMG_20170202_125531825.jpg

15. that's a 61-2 dash, they had padded consoles. but yeah the era seems about right.

16. Squablow

Squablow

I had thought that too, the lid does look like the Chev truck glovebox, although those are a stamped stainless skin and not die cast, but this might be part of a big truck or bus or something.

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Could it be an aftermarket piece, maybe an Almquist or JC Whintney, Sears or Montgomery-Ward?

18. I hadn't thought of that. Entirely possible.

19. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Is it even car related? Just a thought.

20. I believe so, based on the GM lock cyl and the bottom ends are curved to fit over the driveshaft hump (presumably) hell It could be from a Disney world trolley for all I know! Like Hnstray said it could be from a coach of some kind. It just seems too small to me it's about 11" long and about 9" tall

21. It might get adapted to be my 44oz big gulp holder!

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

I agree GM coach/school buss/?? of the era. Don't think it's passenger car, looks too utilitarian.

Never2low likes this.
  23. Thanks for all the input guys, I guess it's not really all that important. It has the right look for my plym. And that's what really matters.

41 C28 and Hnstray like this.
  24. Did you look under the lid for a number?

25. Yup didn't find one

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

prolly has a curse on it, won't fit the ply... and any other thing i can think of.................................want to get rid of it...........................................?

27. Not until I see it in place and decide I don't like it Thanks for asking. Lol