Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What welding machine would work for me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spillaneswillys, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hey Guys I just bought a '51 Dodge truck and would like to do some custom work mainly 1/2" rod, light steel. Any recommendations on a welder that will work well for this. Not doing any suspension or frame work. Will be posting pics soon with my build and radical thoughts!

2. I'm guessing you're just getting into it. Watch all of ChuckE2009's videos:
    https://m.youtube.com/user/ChuckE2009
    (best teacher on the web), then decide. Most versatile might be a MIG, you're better off with something 220 volt, and with a warrantee so you can get it replaced if it burns out, and keep going.

I have an old Solar 170 mig from a bodyshop, by far used the most. (And also an AC Lincoln buzzbox stick welder, a DC TIG and DC stick from Eastwood, and wire flux from HF) Metal fab is addictive, and you probably will end up with several machines.

Just my 2 cents, (for which you've already overpaid.)

3. I have been a welder in a past life, mostly heavy steel castings, also air arc burning as well. I am familiar but strangely not as my talent lies in woodworking.

4. Phil1934

Phil1934

I've got a 155 that will just barely do 3/16" which was the last T frame I bought so I would say get a 170. I have a buzz box for heavier only because it was my starter welder. Only gets used with aluminum rods now.

5. I like blue ones

shawnsauto1 likes this.
  6. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

if you have the money buy a good welder, i like miller also. buy alittle bigger than you think you need.

7. I make a living woodworking as well. There's not a lot of joy in it for me anymore, I would rather work on projects for myself (old cars and motorcycles.) I've been convincing customers lately to let me incorporate metal fab, so that's made it fun again. This is a Mahogany ship's ladder I built recently, with some simple metal fab. IMG_1485737301.545153.jpg IMG_1485737344.849550.jpg IMG_1485737371.878331.jpg
    Let us know what you end up getting. And pics of your ride.

williebill, jvpolvere1 and catdad49 like this.
  8. Clunker WOW I love that kind of imagination. I build things that border on abstract and beyond. Uh some people don't understand it. After looking at your art work I am going to invest in a really nice welder and some other metal working tools!

clunker likes this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have worked a 140 Hobart to death doing sheetmetal and light steel projects. It has never broke or stopped working .Uses Miller replacement parts. Bought it at tractor supply on sale almost 10 years ago. Welds 1/8 inch plate with .030 wire. Have a Harbor Freight stick welder that works really well for thicker metal. I use it for building trailers.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  10. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a Miller 150 about 20 years ago when I took a class at a high school vo-tec. The 150 was the smallest 220 volt welder Miller had at the time and has done admirably since.

I don't know what the smaller 220 welders are currently but I would get into a light 220 volt if it were me. Nothing has fazed it so far and it is a way better welder than am I.

11. wesleyoldham

wesleyoldham

I second this, definitely go 220V. I like millers but have also heard alot of good things about hobarts. Not sure if youre wanting to get in this deep but a tig setup is great for an all around machine imo. Especially does great on sheet metal

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have a Hobart mig 220v. We use it with combo gas 20-25 % duty cycle but at times we push that a little. Mostly used for roll cage type work and body framing on dirt track car. Very friendly to use. Bought it mail order 10 yrs ago and it's been trouble free for the most part. Good luck.

13. Oldb

Oldb

I have a Lincoln power mig 219 that has served me well. Happy with it up to around 5/16. I use stick beyond that. If I had the chance to do it again I would have gone with a 250. Get the biggest one you can afford and have the electrical service to run.

B

14. thanks all good stuff!

15. sunbeam

sunbeam

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Miller, Lincoln and Hobart all have readily available parts and you can get them serviced though local welding supply shops without a hassle or getting laughed out the door because you brought in "one of those pieces of junk" Meaning some of the off shore stuff that sells cheap.
    Hobart is usually sold though AG related places like Tractor supply and some folks used to say that this year's Hobart is last years Miller with a different paint job.
    I've got a big old Forney stick welder that is probably almost as old as I am but there is nothing too big or too heavy to weld with it. I've built a lot of stuff with it and it was the shop welder at a truck repair shop across the street from where I work for most of it's life before I bought it.
    I've also got a Lincoln 175 that I picked up off Craigslist a few years ago that is now my ever day welder that I use most of the time and use on sheet metal. I got deals on both of them and had money in pocket to buy a Hobart 140 when the Lincoln showed up.
    Back in the 70's my buddy built the frame for my T bucket with his 225 Lincoln welder and welded up almost everything else for it with that welder. His welds were world class even with a stick welder and no one had a mig or tig except some real high end welding shops in those days. One of those would work for sticking 1/2 rod together and you can usually find one on Craigslist pretty cheap.

17. graveyardsledder

graveyardsledder

I love my SnapOn MM240. The best welder I've ever owned. It has quick switch between mig/tig. Also has option for spool feed gun of aluminum. Can easily do 1/2". They are a little pricey new but used ones pop up all the time. The top is removable to carry for extra distance if only one 220 outlet.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest something else. About 2 years ago I found I had a need for a portable welder that would run on 110 volts. To make a long story short, I ended up buying a 220 volt Everlast combination stick/TIG welder from Amazon. I know some of you guys are gonna jump all over me because it was (gasp) made in China. From the time I received it until the present, I have found it to be a high quality unit and very useful. As a matter of fact, since I bought this unit my Hobart Handler 170 has languished in the corner (I haven't had the occasion to do much sheet metal work lately). A stick welder does not require a gas bottle, or in the alternative, flux core wire (which I find messy). Many experienced welders recommend starting with stick rather than MIG because you have to develop some skills to use it. Different electrodes are available and reasonably priced. If you have to, you can get some cutting rods and cut with it (try that with a MIG). All in all, I've been very happy with it; for what the OP says he wants to do, it may be a good choice.

BTW, it is a very compact unit and very portable, It also has an adapter plug that allows it to be used on 110, where it did everything I expected from it. Add to that the ability to use it as a scratch start TIG in the future, makes it worth considering.

19. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

IMG_0003.JPG I used to get paid to weld, now it's only for fun. I love this machine, I got the water cooled upgraded torch conversion. I have around $1,100 in it, I crank it up to 200 amps and let it rip!
    I don't stick weld anymore, tig welding is the way to go.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I still owned a shop, every welder, of every process, and the plasma cutters were blue. Outside of normal wear, and freak accidental damage, guess how many needed service, and how often, over a 10-year period, of heavy use.

21. phat rat

phat rat

Gas/torch and a Miller 210 are what I have. Sold the old buzz box a few years ago as I was never using it anymore

22. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

1/2" rod is a dam big welding wire .your not counting the flux wrap are you?
    to me a 1/2" rod is the diameter of the center rod, maybe I'm not understanding correctly ?
    We have a 350 Lincoln rectifier set up in the shop to weld with anything over 1/4" rod.
    If your not welding on the frame what do you want to weld with a 1/2 " rod.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty sure that the material that he wants to weld is 1/2" rod, not the welding filler material itself.

24. southcross2631

southcross2631

I visited the ship yard in Philly once. They were using about 1/2 inch rod for ocean ships.

25. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I can understand that, that was heavy plate.
    My Dad was a welder for Sun Ships in Chester Pa for a time.
    Welding off a swinging bosens chair under a tarp.
    A real bitch in the Winter

26. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Bought a MIller Econotig about 25 years ago and it does everything I can think of for hot rodding and racing...

27. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Had a 220 Chicago Electric ( read Harbor Freight). Worked OK but wasn't using it so sold it.
    Was kind of missing having a mig and Eastwood had a 135 on sale for 249 bucks with free shipping before Christmas. Been very impressed so far. Uses Tweco consumables. Think the price is 279 regularly.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!