Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Mavericks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Mavericks

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

63fdsnr, Ned Ludd, Tim and 7 others like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hmmm- guess that we all learn and change over time - but, you certainly retain much of the partial definition of Maverick: individualist, free spirit, original, eccentric, etc

4. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Not a indoor car show guy either, watched Bill Grant's car being built. Right on, told Bill that it now needs to TROG! Congrats to all entered.

5. I think the paint color on Dr. Dan's roadster is called "Kail's Beard Orange"... or so I've heard.

6. The James Hetfield roadster was also very impressive
    IMG_7293.JPG IMG_7295.JPG

7. belair

belair

My first car was almost a Maverick. Glad I didn't go down that paved road to Hell. I like the big red car without the top, but only without the top. Great cars all, and I'll see if I can find some of those cry-baby dolls to go with those matching jackets. And the only thing worse than underestimating the influence you have is over-estimating it. You might have nudged things in a good direction.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

i.rant and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. you will get your chance to gripe again i am sure, i have faith in the tacky "look at me" fashion sense of the latest trends. maybe self driving, enviromentally conscious, gender neutral,.............

10. That Packard is beautiful. BEATIFUL. I'm glad it won, it's art. I would like to see it with bumpers and a white padded top, but I still wouldn't kick it out of bed as-is

11. Nice car but top is too something. Maybe too padded or modern looking. The rest of that roadster is perfect!:cool:

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're far from "the old guy", and not to blow smoke up your ass but it's the core spirit driven here that makes many of us less than the old guy too. That said, I'm Motown born n bred, that means snow for a full 3rd of the year if not more and if not snow just ball shattering cold. We NEED indoor car shows. We don't have high temps and sunshine for the majority of the year (yeah, I know it gets cold in TX sometimes). It's no secret that for the indoor show crowd there's certain things that will always have appeal. The show rods of the late 60s through the mid 80s were largely midwest or even Michigan based, built for the sole purpose to wow folks removed from the life but had spending money for tickets. Fast forward to now. It seems that since Meyer's "First Love" 36 hit the circuit the bar wasn't raised, it was cut up into little pieces and thrown into the ocean! Things calmed down a little since then but the bar is still fairly high for Ridler or AMBR.
    I have to say, I'm really impressed that you feel, or at least editorialized, such positive comments about the Packard winning car. I agree about Troy as a person and I never met him. Just watched him interact with some folks at Amelia Island a few years ago and he struck me as one those all in real car guys. The Packard is indeed a mid 30s vintage, about 36 or 37. To many it's no secret about my gig and the Packard brand, and I admit that I had a little bias to begin with. The truth is that bias took root when it was on our pages in bare metal. I already mentioned in another post about the task of getting one right just for the sheer mass of most models. Last year's winner touched me a little too. I started my car life as a finisher, and to see what a master finisher did to a Deuce hiboy, well that too impressed the shit out of me. The Kelly Brown T also poked an arrow into my ass. What a 1st class car and background, and a rare Ardun 60 might have had a little to do with it too. We are who we are, I wouldn't begin to try and convince you to change your outlook on shows or indoor shows. Lately it seems you might be missing a thing or 20 (yeah I meant twenty) by not attending, if only for the dedication and hi-jinx found in the "detached" groupings where most of us end up anyway. I know you put some time into GNRS in the past as noted, maybe you need another venue now and then. There's always Detroit...;)

chryslerfan55 and K13 like this.
  13. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

I wish I could attend this event,time and distance does not allow ,
    but I must say that 28 roadster does it for me.To bad it's black

14. Nice write up Ryan.
    I totally get what your saying, in the past, your stance was exclusive, the rebel in the sea of trendy.
    Now we're kind of the trendy, and nice too boot.
    But where will it go from here, is anyone's guess.

This was your/our year, the period correct/traditional theme was totally dominant, and a cause for much excitement.

Is the Punk Rock gone?
    Has the Sex Pistols turned into Green Day?
    I guess time will tell, but for now, I feel proud to be hanging on the interweb with like minded people, and our own Troy and Cretin, and of course, Doc Dan.

Congrats to all Hambers involved in this show.
    This year, in my head, you were all winners.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    brad2v and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

loudbang and Fly'n Kolors like this.
  16. I agree with your thoughts Ryan. This year was the best over all selection of cars going for the AMBR trophy in years. I would like to give props to my friend, Don Lindfors, for his "Boss 32" RPU. What I appreciate about Don's roadster is the fact that from the engine build, the chassis build, and everything else in between, Don built his roadster with his own two hands, in his own backyard garage. To even be considered for the AMBR makes Don a winner in my book.

seadog, i.rant, loudbang and 8 others like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Wow... I hadn't heard that. That's what it is all about right there.

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Latham blower on a hopped up V-12. That's pretty hot rod in my mind.

WiredSpider likes this.
  19. Thanks Dean & Ryan - I did indeed build that RPU in my home garage with two exceptions, The paint (I used to paint my own shit but with Severe Chronic Bronchitis it is no longer wise, so I had an old friend, Pete Santini do it) and the Upholstery (kinda funny, my mom taught Home Ec so I always kinda thought sewing was for girls growing up and never learned, so I had an old mini truck, 70's era, freind Ron Mangus do it). It was kind of funny how the truck was received - I built it to a late 60's early 70's look. The guys that were about 60 and older (like me) seemed to really dig it and gave it big props, the younger guys didn't "Get It" as a general rule. But When cats like Pete Eastwood said I nailed the look and Gene Winfield asked to come in the display and then told me he loved it - well that told me I achieved my goal. I hope many on here dug it too.

With what known pigs the Lincoln V-12 motor is I wonder if it makes any more power than the Packard 8 could have? I know why they did it, talked with Troy at length about it (who is a freind, is just as nice as you suspect, and even loaned me the carpet for my display) so they definitely built a "Hot Rod Lincoln"

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    50Fraud, Drewfus, loudbang and 10 others like this.
  20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh Contrare, Senor! Y'all know that I have zero connections to GNRS or any part of the industry, I am nothing more than an observant, educated, not-entirely ignorant Southern city boy who was lucky enough to grow up in the 50's and 60's, sitting in the HAMB left field bleacher seats, but it doesn't take Einstein to understand the impact that the JJ has had on the AMBR. We all witnessed the brouhaha stirred on these pages over the years as a response to the Billet Cluster Fuck that the AMBR had become, and well, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I saw it change before my eyes over a several year period, and the HAMB sure seemed to be Ground Zero. Can you say "Woodward Roadster"? Just one example of how the needle was moved before our eyes. Anyway, the Boss seems to be a humble guy, but I don't think we can overstate the important role that the HAMB played in moving the needle.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Holy crap... I didn't realize... I mean, I just put one and two together. You did a fantastic job man.

hotroddon likes this.
  22. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

nice packard and ford too.

23. Totally Agree! If not for The HAMB we diehards would have been in small pockets around the world doing our thing and feeling like no one gets us.

kiwijeff and brad2v like this.
  24. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

What size jackets do you guys wear?

rpm56, seadog, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  25. brad2v

brad2v

Glad I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that...

Fly'n Kolors and kiwijeff like this.
  26. About the same as the Gold Chain

loudbang and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread, This was the first year since I started seeing photos of the entries before the award was handed out that I though the majority had a serious chance of winning the award.
    For me ever time I see more photos of the red Packard it grows on me a bit more. You can just visualize that car rolling out of a custom shop or coach builders shop in the late 30's and blowing minds as it rolls down the boulevard.

Hotrodin's truck just rocks me as that was closer to my idea of a hot rod roadster pickup when I was young. The authoritative rumble of the pipes when he fired it up and backed it out of the trailer in the Street rodder video is worth watching the video a few times over too.

The greatest thing about all of the contenders was not one of them had that SEMA show display a companies product look to them. Almost every one of them flowed as one cohesive unit end to end with no out of place pieces or components that didn't match the rest of the build. No gaudy wheels dominating the rig nor other parts that drew your eyes away from the total build at first glance. We might have liked different top setups on the Packards but Top down the red one is spectacular in the lead photo of the thread.

brad2v likes this.
  28. @Ryan -

You're very welcome ... but I should clarify that I did not take any of the photos posted in my thread.

Almost all of those images were shot by friends (& fellow HAMBers) that were at the GNRS on Wednesday (during the AMBR judging and display setup) ... i.e., I snagged these pics off of their social media sites and then posted them in my thread (giving appropriate credit to each photographer).

Also ... I've been told by my teenage kids and by my twenty something nieces & nephews that the term "LIT" should never be uttered (or written) by anyone over the age of 35 :rolleyes: :D

mrspeedyt, KandN Kustoms and loudbang like this.
  29. Thanks :)

loudbang likes this.
  30. Yeah, while your RPU isn't quite 'trad' enough for this site, you distilled the essence of the era with none of the distractions. It definitely would have been my personal choice!

loudbang and hotroddon like this.