Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Thrift-Six 144 motor Portland Oregon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_DropOut, Jan 28, 2009.

1. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Alright alright alright,

I bought a inline-six 144 long block last summer. It needs to be rebuilt and tossed into my Ranchero. I took the motor apart this last fall to just check things out and all looked good with the naked eye. One of the connecting rods spun a bearing but thats the worst of it. Gotta love inlines for their over all toughness.

I want to take this 144 to a garage for a hot tank & magnaflux. Problem is I dont where to take it.

Anyone living in the Portland Oregon area please give me your recommendations. Give me an idea of why you recommend the place too.

I’d love to find a joint that is local, does good work and loves old iron. Those are the type of establishments that I’d like to support.

Other things I’m looking for:

1. Inline-six 144 head (just incase mine turns out to be cracked)
    2. Exhaust cast manifold with good studs.
    3. Rebuilt single barrel carb. for that motor (I forgot carb numbers at home)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. inliner54

inliner54

I have heard nothing but good things about Archie Somers Machine in Vancouver Wa. All the old hot rod guys I know just love his work. call them at (360) 699-5205. I heard he recently moved so if you cant get ahold of him send me a PM.

3. Powerband

Powerband

Can't help with the Portland connection but there's a forum that a lot of the six cylinder Ford guys on the HAMB visit. The FordSix guys - eat, sleep and shit information on those engines including the 144.

Here's links if you want to check it out:

http://fordsix.com/forum/

http://fordsix.com/

4. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Thanks I'll look them up, or give you a PM.

And thanks for the links Powerband. I do know of this site and have used their wealth of knowlege several times.

How about any other of you rodders in PDX, any suggestions on garages and/or machine shops in the Portland area??

5. helmsville

helmsville

I sent my V12 to Perkins Diesel, at La Center exit they are a cool bunch of guy's, they have some amazing machine tool's. very top notch.

6. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Thanks for that info Helmsville.

WAIT A SECOND!!!! V-12!?! I think we need to hear about that one my friend. Do you have a thread on your motor, or any photos???

7. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

Just an update to this long forgotten thread. I took my motor to Portland Engine Rebuilders, down on Hawthorne. They did a fantastic job. I'll post some images soon.

Another note. I decided to rebuild a 200ci inline 6 instead of the 144. I still have the 144 if anyone is interested in a good complete motor. :)

8. helmsville

helmsville

upload_2017-1-28_12-2-36.png

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy crap! He said wait a second! That was almost 7 years!

10. Hibernation:D.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  11. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

They don't call him the drop out for nuthin'