Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The car you just had to have and you ended up disliking it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Back in '03 I bought a 1949 Lincoln EL coupe from a friend for $300. 14 years later I haven't done anything (and I mean anything) to the blasted monstrosity. In short I just can't stand it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. statesblue

statesblue
    from Luzerne Pa

Years ago I bought and restored a TR-6 which I just had to have. I always liked the way they looked.
    After I completed it my wife and I followed a good friend of mine in his MGC up to Rhinebeck N.Y. The TR ran flawlessly and I actually brought home a First Place Trophy in my class.
    Got home on Sunday night and Monday the car was on Ebay. I couldn't stand that car. It was like being trapped in a Tuna can. Extremely uncomfortable for both me and my wife.
    I still like the way they look and all but I wont be buying another one for sure. Ill stick to big bulky American iron.

3. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

57 Corvette back in 65 with a 327/340 and no AC in Miami. Plenty of power and wouldnt stop in a 10 acre field. Thought it would be a good idea to run slicks on it until it rained and I spent more time going the wrong way in the other lane. The interior had its own eco system with interior fog & carpets that never dried out. In the rain the windows would fog up so bad you had to stop and wait until it quit {see slicks on back also}. Heat from engine made driving in traffic like a suana. 68 Bronco 302. When I got it the thing had 1 wheel brakes and a dry shiny geared steering box and no front end strut bushings at all or a trace of kingpins. After market made in Taiwan kingpins were worse then what came out, made in Taiwan brake drums were $175 each for rare brake upgrade. Only good thing was the motor. Body was full of bondo which started coming out 10 minutes after I got it home. Heater in Monatana winters was as close to nothing as it gets.

4. teejay99

teejay99

OK , OK , I have to mention my one and only foreign car that the EX wife and I bought in 1971 ....a 71 Fiat Sport Coupe . I can't blame her , I was half of the decision . The car looked cool sitting in the showroom , fire-engine red , walnut steering wheel , got a gazzilion mpg ( OPEC was raising the price of gas by then ) and I think it was $2200 out the door .
    Now I'm a Big 3 guy , always had been , and but for this one brain fart , always will be . Turns out this car will start and run just fine EXCEPT when it's raining . Every time ! I go back to the dealer " Doesn't it #%@#%$ rain in Italy ? We tried everything . No dice . If it rained I took my wife to work in the 58 Chevy .
    We got to covering the motor with a house blanket ....seemed to do the job .....then my wife jumped in to go to work , forgot about the blanket and got about 2 miles from the house . You have never seen a blanket wrapped around a fan belt like this one . After about 2 hours of cutting the blanket out , new fan belt , get my wife to work .....took it in to the local Chrysler dealer and traded it on a 72 Plymouth Duster .........they gave me $700 for the Fiat ......the dents in the roof from my fist didn't exactly help the trade value .

Attached Files:

• fiat.jpg
      fiat.jpg
      File size:
      239.3 KB
      Views:
    flux capacitor and Finn Jensen like this.