Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage TROG West 2017?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Jan 8, 2017.

1. A Trog West event at Tustin Air Hangar 1 or 2 would be great if they could get permission/permits and pay homage to the early drags held there.

Blues4U likes this.
  2. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

So are we going to meet at El Mirage in May to do our own informal little event? Standing 1/8 mile top speed for flatheads and bangers? .................if so I am in!!!

ROCKER77 likes this.
  3. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Don't hold your breath as that dry lake bed is for SLR cars & bikes only, and no surf to speak of either

DND

4. It's open to the public and off road vehicles. So we can go and just not tell them. As long as we pay are 15 to get onto the lake bed we can do as we please. I'm down let's do it. Or hell we can even get with the park rangers and see what we have to do to make it a real event. Gathering of the hotrods at el mirage. Sign some at your own rise legal crap and run em. All in favor say Eyeeeeeeeee.

ROCKER77 likes this.
  5. If dirt bikes and razors can do 80mph why can't we do 60-100.

6. And Dennis and the rolling bones crew went out there last Father's Day and Dennis ran his car up to 120 mph no one said shoootttt.

7. image.jpg
    Hey tex I'm ready got the numbers on now.

ROCKER77 likes this.
  8. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

It wouldn't have the same appeal if not done at the beach. California would only welcome it back it people drove electric cars made out of recycled plastic bottles. If it wasn't for the weather, I'd leave here in a heartbeat.

9. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

I have lived in NJ my entire life. I have also attended all the short tracks in the state either as a driver, spectator, or crew member. I have seen it all as far as the bullshit, and hoops you have to jump through to hold a race in NJ. I have seen the World Of Outlaws harrased so much about their cars they stopped comming to NJ. Hell I even seen Flemington Speedway have there opening day delayed for lack of sprinklers in the covered grandstand years ago! East windsor speedway was forced to shut down because of the noise. The B.S. here in NJ goes on and on.

Having said that, I have absolutely nothing against TROG East, but I still find it hard to believe that NJ lets you guys drive your cars on the beach, much less race them. This state is all about regulation by the Politicians. All I can say is you guys had better keep kissing as much ass as you can and behave yourself. Because unfortunaetly, Trog East is just one tree hugger or complainer away from being shut down.

cretin and gas pumper like this.
  10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

UMMMMMMM
    Better check the water level at El Mirage,,,,,,
    And contact the BLM about having a racing event,,,,,
    And May is our first event and that is when the Rangers are out watching.

11. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Nice Bruce, if it has numbers on the door then it is race car, as far as the nay sayers, please stay home like you always do and wait for us to post pictures of the fun we had on the dry lake bed........I have been many times and it is an off road park most of the year so I don't see why we could just pick a weekend and show up with hotrods.

ROCKER77 likes this.
  12. And please don't show up in your pocket book streetrods.
    I guess we won't be able to say when we do it tex. It will have to be a phone call thing around to all the true don't give a shits like us with real flathead powered early hotrods. Just bangers and flatheads and everyone else gets their tires popped.:DAnd when it happens all the Na Sayers will be mad they didn't know when. I see why this kind of shit don't happen anymore. Everyone talks about how and why it can't happen instead of finding a way to make it happen. And to all the it won't be the same as trog because it's not on a beach is right it won't be like trog. It will be like el mirage back in the 30s and 40s. Yea they ran for time back then but they raced everyday back home in the streets. Racing is racing no matter where it's at. And to tell the truth tex we don't need to take pictures or film it. If you weren't there your still a square.:)

cretin likes this.
  13. And hell even if we can't race we can still camp there and throw one hell of a hotrod party. Just a gathering of early hotrods would be enough for me to go. The trog west was badass. Where the hell else are you gonna see 100+ cars built the way they were in the early days. Not at a car show anywhere. We just need a huge gathering of era correct hotrods.

14. How many cars go to Duece days in Canada??? How many of those cars are true hotrods and not streetrods? So I think we can put together a vintage hotrod gathering in a historical place like el mirage. Come on. Join the movement. It's are American history.

15. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1-8-17 036.JPG 1-8-17 025.JPG 1-8-17 036.JPG No dog in this fight, but how about an El Mirage deal the week before Bonneville? That way you could head west early and catch both. I may or may not be able to run with a 1962 vintage engine, but I may come spectate and camp perhaps.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

You know the hamb drags are pretty right in the middle of the country and have a whole quarter mile to play with ;)

17. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And are the weekend after Bonneville usually......

Tim likes this.
  18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I'm in if you're a planning;).
    Old Clem's Steed will get a workout :). IMG_8476.JPG Or will take 64B as well ;).

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

since this discussion is about a possible gathering/event not part of TROG maybe someone, like paintslinger805, could start a new thread to attract other like minded folks to help make it happen

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've spent many, many weekends riding around the lake, though I haven't been in years, but it's just an empty dried lake bed about 8 miles long and a couple miles wide, plenty of room to find some place to run the cars. Except I don't want to be left out cause I got a 283 Chevy and not a flat head. If this is going to be an outlaw event, then let it happ'n, Cap'n. Chevy's, Hemi's, Olds, Cad's too.

21. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Outlaw flathead event at El Mirage 2017!!! Just like our roots with the Western Timing Association and Russetta which were no rules outlaw timing associations and gave the middle finger to the establishment SCTA, we will have our own outlaw El Mirage event........Flatheads only!!

22. modeleh

modeleh

Exactly what I was thinking. As a Canadian I am shocked by how much participation there is from Americans to the Duece Days events in Victoria. The dedication of enthusiasts from all parts of North America is what makes it such a great experience.
    Imagine the turnout you would see if a similar event with beach racing were held at Long Beach, Washington. It would surely get a lot of Canadian participation and would obviously get a much bigger American turnout than Duece Days ever would.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about a HAMB friendly camp out at El Mirage in May or October of 2017?

Blues4U likes this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'm in.

25. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I just got a text from a good friend in the "business" that saw this thread and he informed me a 1/4 or 1/3 mile timed event is in the works, invite only period cars similar rules to TROG with camping and but at the hollowed grounds of El Mirage, permission from BLM has been received and it looks like it will happen sometime after the November SCTA meet so we don't tear up the track............very exciting possibility so stay tuned!!

ROCKER77, lucky13 and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  26. 1gearhead

1gearhead

If you are looking for a southern California venue the Irwindale drag strip is probably available. Chico at Moon holds their Christmas party there and runs open 1/8 mile drags. Safe, legal, fun and available, think about it.

27. cj92345

cj92345
    from so-cal

el mirage is back to being a lake

28. Good it will refresh the lake bed and when it drys out it will be really nice surface. I can't wait tex I hope it's on.
    But does it have to be so long away?!?

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I'm game for that ;).

30. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I'm in, if you guys are willing to let a big fat '39 Tudor blow your doors off...