Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you look behind Lyn`s Ford in that picture, you can see Guy Root`s 39 Dodge in yellow primer. Read more on page 8, car 16 on this thread.

2. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

I see in Lyn's profile page, he says the Ford was in 3 movies and 11 car mags. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller? Bueller? Sancho? Sancho?:):):)

stanlow69, Sancho and OG lil E like this.
  3. Great pic of the interior, Jim. The interior was way cool, especially the chrome dash!

Thanks for posting recent pictures of Lyn's Ford guys. The new paint looks great, but I wonder why anyone would want a chopped sled riding nose bleed style. If a guy wanted a car to sit like a stocker, why would he want it to be a chopped car?
    And would somebody PLEASE put some white walls on that car?
    It is such a great custom and with a few minor changes it could be so awesome. A weekend and about a thousand dollars and it would stop traffic! E

4. Hey @carhunter59 and Mark, was this the version or close to the version you guys are talking about? On my monitor, the car looks red. Is it more of a pink?
    @carhunter59, you gotta find those pics! E

biggeorge, drdave and Sancho like this.
  5. Just looked through the Internet Movie Cars Database but didn't find it there. Still looking though...
    The problem with trying to search out movie cars is that customs are often incorrectly identified.

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

it must have been painted yet again because it is Mary Kay tittie pink

7. Are the photos Stanlow posted before or after the red version? Is that what it looks like now?

drdave and OG lil E like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

9. Wow, that car is like a cat with 9 lives. A lot of paint work on this one over the years! E

10. I was looking through some of the custom pics on carnut and came across some more of the "I CUT IT" Merc. I thought these should be shown because they are of yet another "in-between" version. Similar paint as some of the shots Stanlow69 posted but these are before the taillight was changed to the Cadillac bullets. The leading edge of the skirts is not as smooth as the rear. Pay no mind to the billet wheels. :eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. OhioRiv

OhioRiv

Peachy Keen was built br Ron Gratton in the Cleveland Ohio area in the 80s. It was lavender when it headed west. 1485368648167.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Also came across these on carnut. Oh that trunk upholstery! From the 2005 KKOA Spectacular:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Man, you guys can find and remember the stuff! I can't tell ya what I had for supper last night. LOL

I can not believe the number of paint jobs that Merc has had....and almost the same number of different mirrors.

I agree with Ed, why on earth would a guy buy a flamed, low down, chopped shoebox and then put it way up in the air? Seems odd to me.

14. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Red version is the latest

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  15. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

This shoebox looks like it was from the eighties or nineties
    Any history
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

17. I thought it would be easy to find pics of it. How many chopped, sectioned convertibles can there be?
    So far the only thing I have found beside the listings are these 2 photos, top up photo dated 2011.
    Only a few years ago but it looked better then.:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I drove this shoebox/Ranch-a-roo back to Alliance, NE from Rapid City, SD back in 1984...My bro and I drove the "new" (to us) radical '57 Chevy to the Counts rod run with the very tired 283" in it. As we pulled into the campground where the event was held, a rod started knocking. We drove the '57 around that weekend and the knock got worse...come Sunday we didn't have a way to get the car, or us back to Denver. Lynn volunteered his trailer he'd brot the shoebox up on. We put the radical '57 on the trailer, my bro and I drove the shoebox (very cramped inside it) to Alliance. Dropped it off and he volunteered to take us the rest of the way to Denver, another 250 miles. My bro rode with Lynn in the truck, I rode in the '57 on the trailer-strange feeling too, watching the scenery go by while behind the wheel. We finally got home to Denver at 3 AM...The radical '57 started its six year journey to being redone on that Sunday.

R-

19. carhunter59

carhunter59
    from blaine mn

Yep thats at rons house in cottage grove . Pink it is but still has red covered dash and interior the same , was the x4door car from in the 80s .

rodncustomdreams and OG lil E like this.
  20. carhunter59

carhunter59
    from blaine mn

Paint is probably 3/8 inch thick ive seen this car now in 4 color schemes

rodncustomdreams and OG lil E like this.
  21. bscc50

bscc50
    from n.e.

the top picture was taken at lead east in new jersey. that's ray offs "connitcut yankee" 50 ford convertible next to it and if you look over top of the shoebox you can see the late bill abates lincoln with the purple fade winfield paint job.

22. Great story, Roger! Hope you and Dan are well. We'll have to hang out one of these days real soon! E

54delray likes this.
  23. I remember seeing this Merc at one of the Leadsleds I was at. I remember wondering what the deal was with the strange trunk upholstery, especially the underside of the trunk lid.
    Looking at the pictures Sancho posted of it today, the underside of the trunk lid looks like a bunch of baked potatoes wrapped in aluminum foil getting ready to be passed out and eaten at a family reunion or something (lol)! E

24. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

This car just came out of hibernation anybody know it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

How many chopped and sectioned shoeboxes are there. You would be surprised.

biggeorge, Austinrod and OG lil E like this.
  26. Oh I know. I thought chopped sectioned CONVERTIBLE would narrow it down. Hard one to find anything on...

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Try Bobby Simpson from Tennessee. Austinrod, of all the pic`s of cars you've, posted. I like that one the best. If you change it back to it`s original version Sancho posted.

drdave, Austinrod and OG lil E like this.
  28. Okay, I have found out that this car belonged to the father of HAMB member @Skirv He has not been on since May 2014. He showed how he adapted the Chrysler steering whhel to fit it in this thread (2012): http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ith-modern-suspensions-and-drivelines.743790/
    [​IMG]

And the tailights in this one (2012): http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/best-tail-lights-in-a-51-mercury.684828/
    [​IMG]