Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My Y Block is acting up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thee 292 in my 55 has been running great, until yesterday.

I recently put the B intake and a Edelbrock 500 on it. Pretty much turn key. Then out of the blue, it started popping out the exhaust under load and surging. I pulled over and adjusted the mixture to see if it was off. Basically, I ran the mixture screws in and backed them out a turn and a half to start. Not much difference. I don't run any ethanol based gas at all. Pretty new plug wires etc. I am wondering if the float may be hung.....It idles ok and seems to rap clean.

Usually, popping through the exhaust is a fat condition or raw fuel. I'm a little perplexed with this one. Haven' pulled the plugs yet, to see what they look like.

Any ideas?

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Two thoughts Vacuum leak or your still running a Load O Matic Distributor. with a non compatible carb.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have no idea about the distributor. How do you tell? Don't have much Y block experience.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

You need the later distributors. 1959 and newer

5. Call mctim, the Y block guy

6. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you pulled the original carb, the Load o matic distributed won't work with the Edelbrock carb. The LOM used a small vacuum signal to provide advance-it has no centrifugal advance. No weights, just the spring against the vacuum can. There's info on here, but probably more at the Ford Barn or yblocksforever. The easiest route is usually to go order a rebuilt dizzy for a 62 ford truck 292. Beyond that any 57 later dizzy will work. You may have to rework the mechanical advance curve, try both ported and manifold vacuum on the vacuum advance, and maybe fit an adjustable vacuum can. Most of us run 10-12 degrees initial, depends on your build spec's, but almost all y's like more advance than the factory setting.

Mctim's an expert, but Ted Eaton at Eaton Balancing in TX is closer.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

I doubt I have one. It has a Pertronix unit in it. The car had tripower, but the shafts were wore out, so I put the B manifold on it until I could get it rebuilt.

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Fuel pressure? Edelbrocks are sensitive to this.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

It has an inline regulator set to 3 psi.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. sunbeam

sunbeam

1956 and earlier distributers did not have mechanical advance grab the rotor if it will move counter clockwise it has mechanical advance if not it's a early load o matic. Another way to tell load o matic points are straight 57 up points are a little S shaped.

Roothawg likes this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Here's the deal, it was running fine one day, the next it started this crap. I'm starting with the easy stuff first. Picking up a set of plugs tomorrow. The old Y block has some blow by and uses some oil, sso I am hoping to find a bad plug. We will see.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  12. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Check your intake bolts sounds like you may have one to long and bent a push rod.

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Really? How long are they supposed to be? I'll pull the valve covers and look for the obvious. Of course I swapped intakes months ago, wonder why it would take so long to show up.

14. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

I thought you swapped the intake and it started acting up but if the bolts are to long they will get into the push rods and bend them causing it to pop back through the carb

15. Roothawg

Roothawg

No, it's backfiring through the exhaust. I guess the correct term is afterfire.