Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods upper control arms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldgoat939, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

A Corvair isn't a Mustang [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My control arms are 1-3/4" down on my Falcon. This is the "correct" location, as determined by Klaus Arning for he Shelby full race cars. This is, of course absolutely not possible without using a set of wedges to correct the ball joint angle. The max you can safely do without them is about 1".

It made an alarming difference in handling.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I've answered my own question in regards to lower ball joint. The Corvair point's up as well. So if one was to look at reply #14 one will notice the height of the spindle from the lower ball joint is nearly the same between the two. Wouldn't putting back a pair of stock spindles and stock upper a-frames with a ball joint spacer (between ball joint and a-frame) bring things to near correct position ? Especially if tall springs are in said vehicle. [​IMG]

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

5. skip57

skip57
    from md.

I built my toy car in the late 70's. So it's a 40 yr. old street rod with a moded body that I got a lot of grief about. Go back to the Corvair spindle and check out post 34 . Each of our cars has it's own reason to be built the way it was. It is a tossup as to why some one would change out the front suspension

6. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

If you look at the picture that33anda3rd posted of the corvair front end in his Buick you can see that the front coil is inside the tower and the top A arm is attached to the tower so the only thing spreading the A arms apart are the vette spindles, and I'am beginning to think that they are to tall between the ball joints so I'am going to see what the spread on the 70/71 Nova will be and maybe this will fix my camber/ caster problem.

7. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

8. Allmotor

Allmotor

In the early 80's I built a 35 Chevy with a highly modified Corvair front suspension.
    Crossmember was narrowed, upper and lower control arms were modified to accept 72 Olds Cutlass ball joints.
    Used 72 Cutlass spindles, steering arms and disc brakes. Upper control arm mount was moved up with a machined adapter plate to compensate for spindle height difference.
    For steering I used a narrowed Capri rack.
    This setup worked very well with no issues and saw a lot of highway miles.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You do realize that's for stock Corvair spindles. I put that up encase you decide to put back stock spindles and ball joint spacers on your project.

10. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

sorry I misread the opening line and thought it used s10 spindles but that is ok as I can still look at the Nova spindles. Thanks again for the info.

11. oldgoat939

oldgoat939

Thanks for the info on the idea of moving up the A arm mount as I didn't think of that. I'am using a datsun 240 z rack and pinion and it has worked for many years for me as well as many miles.

12. doyoulikesleds

doyoulikesleds

13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Be sure to take careful notice of which way the lower ball joint goes into the spindle.