Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 48 Cars In 48 States

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by travisfromkansas, Jan 18, 2017.

1. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

This thread is about a dream, a goal, a great big hairy adventure that I’ll be taking in 2017, The Great American Road Trip.

I call it 48 Cars In 48 States.
    [​IMG]

Has a nice ring to it, huh? So, what the heck is it?

48 Cars In 48 States will be a two month, 48 state, 15,000+ mile road trip in my '63 Galaxie with my canned-ham camper hanging off of the back. I'll be booking photo and video shoots of at least one traditionally inspired (looks traditional even if there are some non-traditional parts that you don't see) hot rod, kustom or drag vehicle in each state, updating daily on my website with the previous day's travel, documenting the people I meet, the things I see, the cars that I shoot. My weekly podcast (Chrome Pipes And Pinstripes) will feature the car owners that I meet along the way, telling some of their stories as well. At the end of the trip I'll be publishing a hard cover coffee table book featuring the 48 cars and some of the adventure.

Taking all of the experience of shooting photos for my site royboyproductions.com and various magazines for the last decade, this book will document a freeze-frame of some of the cars in the USA for the summer of 2017. My dream is a book that shows off some of the best examples of traditional hot rod and kustom car world that are out there today, while meeting the awesome people that own the cars. Also, it’s going to be pretty damn cool to see a good portion of the country in my Galaxie.

[​IMG]

There’s a growing list of car shows that I’m going to be working to fit into the schedule, but with an average of about 6 hours a day of driving I’ll be at the mercy of the weather, so I won’t be able to guarantee that I can attend any of the shows. I’ll plan on Saturdays being car show days or days that I can get a show and knock out a state. The schedule is going through multiple iterations to try to make it to some of the following shows, Greaserama , Hot Rod Hill Climb, Starliner, Iron Invasion and maybe some others. Shop visits are also something that will be added into the schedule as it’s possible to do so. Hopefully we can meet up at some shops and do some group shop visits and hang out sessions.

All of the info as I put it out will be available on this page on my site, and if you’d like to help me plan the trip and get some behind the scenes info on the trip you can join this group on Facebook if you’re on there.

This post is kind of the stripped down version of the plan but here on my site you can get all of the info as I get it laid out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    LOU WELLS, woodz, rjones35 and 12 others like this.
  2. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Sounds like a great trip! Have fun we'll be watching :)

travisfromkansas likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks! I can't wait to not only go on the adventure but to bring a bunch of folks around the world along for the ride and hopefully inspire some folks to take some epic road trips as well.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. Spooky

Spooky

Kewl man!

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Dave Schaub travelled through 49 States in 9 Days in his 32 roadster to raise funds for charity.
    Here's another way someone else did 48 states by using Route XL.
    Lots of driving ahead, drive safely.

P.S. I note that he missed North Dakota, could have gone to Fargo or Bismark.:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool! Write an updated version of "88-lines about 44-women" while you are out!

8. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

I will be watching this. I plan on doing the 48 or 49 states with my boy in a couple weeks of years.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can catch a cargo ship, with a parking garage on it, departing twice a week, for Hawaii, from the Port of Oakland, California.
    20130828_143242.jpg

http://www.matson.com/pov/booking/shipping_rates.htm

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  10. Wow, an ambitious adventure for sure, Travis. I don't have anything worthy of inclusion in the book but, I wish you a safe trip. Hope to see you at The Jalopy Showdown.......................Don.

11. 2935ford

2935ford

All I can say is...........WOW!

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cool man, message sent if you don't already have something in Minnesota I would like to be considered.... thanks

13. ozrodder

ozrodder

Looking forward to this I'm following the podcast episodes over here in Australia
    Bloody brilliant !!!!
    Drive safe Travis
    See you at a show somewhere !!!!!!

14. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

15. Will definitely be following along wishing I was actually along for the ride Travis!

16. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thank you all for the good wishes and support! It will be an adventure to remember!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Mark, I've heard so much about your place I'd love to stop by on the trip! Your cars of course are exactly what I'm looking for.

Tim, lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  18. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Good for you! Sounds like a Great Time.
    You, and anyone else, are always welcome to visit our Shop in Natick, MA.
    Over the years we've had many Visitors, often just needing a place to make necessary repairs during the journey.
    Drive safe!

IMG_1213.JPG

19. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks! Hopefully it will be more of a visit than a repair stop!

20. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I'm curious about this part. So everyone you visit will be obligated to at least buy the book but you're hoping that they'll buy this video and/or photo package too? Or is there no obligation whatsoever? Have you determined the cost of these packages? When will you be leaving-June maybe? It sounds like fun. Good luck....

21. Awesome idea for an epic adventure! Here's wishing you the best of luck along the way. Hopefully you won't have any major issues.

22. I can help you find someone in South Dakota if needed. I also have a full hookup camper pad you can use out here at my place.

23. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

As of today I'm still working on getting corporate sponsors to put their name on the coverage on my site as I often do to offset the cost of the trip. If a company steps up and wants to reach 28,000 hot rod and kustom car lovers a day, then the feature spots can be free. The cost of the packages will be based off of how much sponsorship covers vs the projected daily costs. I'm meeting today with a local print shop to get an accurate estimate on the cost of the books. The circus will leave town the evening of April 28th as soon as I get off of work and I have until July 5th at 7am to get back.

Sancho likes this.
  24. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This will be a kool version of the movie the Long Long Trailer. Praying for Happy Trails

25. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Mickey my friend, thank you always for your continued support in all that I do and for introducing me to most of the greatest people that I know. You and the Stray Kat Kustoms Family are among the absolute best. I WILL be at the 500 and I am looking forward to seeing you my friend!

guthriesmith and straykatkustoms like this.
  26. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I'm also looking for sites to put on the list for places to stop on my trip. What's near you that a traveler should see?

27. best of luck on your travels !

28. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

The trip planning is going well, the camper rebuild is progressing along. My day job has asked me to postpone the trip so they can get my replacements up to speed so I'm moving the trip back to the fall. The loose plan is to leave September 8th and return on November 12th.

I have opened up the book pre-orders and have been shipping the stickers to the folks that pre-order.

[​IMG]

The first 10 days of the trip will have some backtracking but I wanted to make sure that I start the trip after the Stray Kat Starliner in Wichita on September 9th then loop up through North Dakota and back down to the Hot Rod Hill Climb before heading east.

[​IMG]

I'm excited to get the chance to meet so many new folks and see parts of the country that I've never seen before. I've almost gotten enough business sponsorships to pay for the trip so the car owners will not be obligated to buy a copy of the book or a photo shoot.

Thanks to the folks that have reached out and asked to be a part of the trip!

chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.
  29. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I leave for the trip finally on Sept. 2nd and I have 47 States lined up!

The only state that I have left to fill in is Vermont, so if you know of any traditionally styled hot rods, kustoms or gassers from Vermont let me know!

The route has changed and is all planned apart from this one spot.

The route map is here http://www.royboyproductions.com/2017/07/07/48-cars-48-states-update-005-route/
    Although the audio that is included in that post is not 100% accurate as of today.

The 48 State, 15,709 mile trip starts in 8 days. The new engine is feeling good with 1000 miles on it, the camper needs some small things that should get knocked out this week, I'm anxious and nervous and excited all in one.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    gonmad and Tim like this.
  30. Gaskets? I assume you meant Gasser, or dragster.....;)