Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***January 2017 Banger Meet - Happy New Banger Year***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Dec 31, 2016.

1. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Thanks for the snubber info Bill

2. My bad, it was the full synchronization in 39. I just recalled it was a preferred transmission and that you could swap the gears into the 32. Live and learn....

3. 97

He is , just that he let his Dad play with the computer at Xmas .:rolleyes:

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

There were some discussions and a write up of the conversion in the spring / summer monthly banger threads in 2008. Start with April and read through the following months. The tech post for the conversion is in there somewhere. The last time I looked for it I found that it was missing the pictures. Probably because the original poster lost the picture host.

Dannerr likes this.
  5. RussTee

RussTee

for overdrive look for a Mitchel seperate box in the driveshaft

6. You two ARE looking very good!
    Continued happiness and comfort to you both

7. Jim,
    I'll never forget you taking me over to your "Faux Son's" shop and storage complex. It was amazing to see all the "Stuff" his grandfather had collected. I remember seeing a couple of boxes of a bunches of scrap that was represented as a complete HAL engine. Because he wanted to sell all of this, I told him that I'll keep him in mind when those that ask ME about "Stuff"; I'll have them get hold of him.

Such an occasion arose when a friend of mine asked me about the whereabouts of HAL engines. I mentioned the "whereabouts". It turns out that they knew each other. A long story, longer: My friend bought the HAL junk (It turns out it REALLY was junk). He turned it over to "Smokey" Alleman of Atascadero CA. "Smokey" literally rebuilt a complete HAL engine. Our friend stuffed it in a modified T roadster; and is tearing up the dirt ovals in SoCal with the Western Racing Association.

I tell this story for everyone so that they understand that: "Where there's a will..There's a way"

Happy New Year to All! "Dawg"

(P.S. "Smokey" is now working on a Model B Block engine for my friend. It'll be topped by a McDowell DOHC head, with a five main girdle)

Outback, Crazydaddyo and Dannerr like this.
  8. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

why is it when I take something apart it never goes back together as it was ?

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The floor Gnomes take stuff and seldom add to it......

Dannerr likes this.
  10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

oh , ill try to get them

11. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Sometimes I stand in the middle of the shop and say "Give it back or I'll never drop a cookie on the floor again!!!!"
    That sometime gets things to magically return quickly. You just have to reminds them who is boss.

12. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I sure understand that ......... must be thousand $$$$ in parts somewhere

Dannerr likes this.
  13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

got most all figured out ............. thanks

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  14. 97

You can either put the 39 gears in a B gearbox and clutch housing , you will need a B sump too from memory or get/make an adapter to go between the A block and the V8 gearbox, either way you have to sort out some arrangement for the clutch and brake pedals and the handbrake to mount onto.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/transmission-adapter-kit

Old Dawg likes this.
  15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you . appreciate the help

16. 97

You can also fit a V8 flywheel while you are at it, you will save some machining and flywheel will be lighter and the V8 clutch bolts right onto the flywheel, whereas you need to re-drill the Model A one after lightening to take the V8 clutch . If you use the 35-41 flywheel you can machine the outer weight off , that gives you the lightest safe steel flywheel ...around 25 lbs, whereas an aftermarket aluminum wheel will only weigh about 12 lbs...that's near 50 lbs off the Model A one. Once again from memory it is a bolt up but you have to end for end the starter pinion on the starter shaft, or fit a V8 pinion ? . Beware there are two different diameter armatures , only the bigger one is useful here. I would recommend fitting a harmonic balancer at the same time.

Old Dawg likes this.
  17. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thanks , already have parts at the engine builder .

*** still need to figure out an open drive shaft

18. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Use a truck diff nose to hook up an open driveline

Outback likes this.
  19. I have converted several starters to use with V8 flywheel and if you aren't careful you will not get deep enough engagement and the first time the engine kicks back it will shatter the starter pinion, you must clear front mounting plate to allow more depth of engagement. not enough will cause the pinion to disengage and if the starter in not released ( take your finger off of the button ) again it will shatter the pinion. Do you see where I'm going with this? My experience with this conversion with current import starter pinions is to just have the A or B flywheel chopped for a street rod. Just think about it, you have worked and worked to prepare for the big race but when your over eager help kills the engine then shatters the pinion trying to start it not knowing the proper way. Kinda spoils yer day!!

Old Dawg likes this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

wow , the things we don't know . we got a t-5 , but need a early ford pick-up rear end snout to convert to open drive shaft ...................... thanks ... steve

21. Herb Kephart

Herb Kephart

A lot easier is to make an aluminum seal housing to bolt in place of the torque tube--seal ID to suit the OD of a slip yoke that fits the pinon spline. That's what I did on my avatar car.
    Pickup part, being only one year piece is impossible to find around here.

Herb

Dannerr likes this.
  22. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thanks ................. steve

23. So, I am about to embark on the first journey into building a modified banger (both A, B and tje AA engines have been mostly stock), and are starting to gather the parts, I've accumilated over the years. First thing to go wrong was to find out, that the V8 clutch I bought, was an 11":
    [​IMG]

I recall, that people previously has talked about using a 9" Ford Tractor clutch, because of it's counter weights. But what should I look for?

Appriciate your inputs!

Keep 'em kruzin!
    Dannerr

24. Hi, Dannerr! This is from a 59 ab flathead engine!! I think this is the right pressure plate for the mod!

IMG_20170123_092134826.jpg IMG_20170123_092128002.jpg

I got a Hot rod Ford and two dollars bill!

Dannerr likes this.
  25. 97

hot rod works and jack hammer both make open drive conversions. OR you can keep the closed drive and use a crazydaddio adapter to the T5.

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

9" v8 ford clutch pressure plate is the one you want

27. But is there any difference, or is all 9" with the same weights?

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I'm not sure as I never cared . but just check before you buy . any ford parts store should have them .

Dannerr likes this.
  29. I haven't checked back in my files, but I am thinking that the 9" tractor PP does NOT have the counter weights.

30. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

Question for ya @Bluto - are you talking about a 32-38 truck or a AA truck, or what? I'd like to make this conversion, but not heard of using a truck's snout. Please expound.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app