Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Plymouth build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bartikus, Jan 9, 2016.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that the stock compression ratio is 7 or 7.1:1. Nice if you want to put a blower or a turbo on....

I did this with a '49 for a customer. Made a nice improvement. Pretty cheap, too.

2. bartikus

bartikus

I've only had a chance to talk to one machine shop and they want $130 to mill the head.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Call around. Make sure they know there need be no disassembly.

4. bartikus

bartikus

Yeah I will l only had the chance to call one shop yesterday

5. bartikus

bartikus

The last couple of nights has been clean the motor and get ready to reseal it. It has been fun having my 5 year old and 3 year old helping me. There was a some sludge under the valve covers which I was expecting. It will need a new timing chain. I was able to order one in tonight. The bearings look decent enough to rerun them. I'm not pulling the pistons. I'm just going to clean the motor the best I can and throw it back together. I want it in the car this weekend.

1952B3b23 likes this.
  6. Earlybird

Earlybird
    from pittsburgh

So how well do the tires clear the sway bar when turning lock to lock? after upgrading to the jeep cherokee swaybar upside down. when you say cherokee you mean mid sized small cherokee not a grand cherokee?

thanks,
    John

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both the Cherokee (XJ) and the Grand Cherokee (WJ, ZJ) have the same front suspension, in that era (pre independent front), and thus have the same anti-sway bar. There were a couple of different ones, but by far the most common one was 1-inch in diameter. That's the one you want.

I do not recall the steering being affected in any way.

8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

OK, now with the new job, I think early HEMI.

9. bartikus

bartikus

Oh I sold the car, had the opportunity to buy an off topic car that I have always wanted. Wife said one had to go.

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

I've always had a soft-spot in my heart for '49-'54 Plymouths. My Dad own a maroon '49 Club Coupe, and I learned to drive in a '54 Belvedere, powder blue & white...exactly like this one...and, yes, it had Hy-Drive !
    [​IMG]
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

11. I like the way you think look thru my albums I built a 52 plymouth some years ago using yard parts. my master was used mopar/the rearend and drive train all stock mopar to the drive line a Valory/Diplomat is a great donner car. my 318 /904 trans did a great job. I have a 48 Ply I will be starting soon and its getting a used slant six and a 4 speed overdrive I have it Lol Do the shock mount its day and night also the sway bar makes a real diff. cheap and have fun.

12. I have been schooled nice work all of you !!!!!

13. Change the water tube while out of the car much easyer

14. Jeff J

Jeff J

Have this one and it's a driver rust free no patch panels New Brakes, Hoses New tires .Upgraded to 12 volt system camera plymouth 034.JPG