Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8 3/4 mopar axle ends?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by judgeyoung, Jan 11, 2017.

1. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

I have an early mopar 8 3/4" with the adjustable (?) axle clearance, bolt-on hub axles. I would like to use that setup with a set of later model dragster axles I have with the standard one-piece 30 spline axles. Can I narrow the rear and use the original bearing housing ends with the later axles? Or can I just buy later mopar ends to weld on to my housing in the narrowing process? Or can I use other ends that might have the same bearing size, like 9" or early Olds/Pontiac?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Mopars in the later 60s and 70s with one piece axles, still had the adjustable bearings. Are you sure the ends are different?

3. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

The adjustable end axle used the same size bearing we put on our race axle ,we were calling them "green Bearings", they were sealed ball bearings instead of greaseable rollers. I hope thats what you were asking.

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

20170111_153337.jpg
    If you have one of these in the center of your diff or spool you can still use your adjuster.
    Those green bearings are costly.

5. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

I have not disassembled the rear yet. I just want to use the later axles. If the bearing sizes (and any other critical dimensions) are the same, I should be able to just shorten my housing appropriately and use my short axles. If they are not the same housing ends, I want to use the appropriate ends when I shorten the housing.

I guess that what I am essentially asking is: Can you interchange the "bolt on hub" axles with the correct length one-piece axles?

6. dwollam

dwollam

Are you saying you have a 1964 or earlier rear end with the tapered axles with bolt on hubs and want to use the later style Mopar axles and hubs on the earlier housing? If so, I know the center section will swap, not sure about axles.

Dave

7. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

I'm pretty sure you will need to weld new ends on, or else swap the whole housing out for a post 64 rear end.

8. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

The Chrysler 8 3/4 was popular in dragsters starting in the late '60's
    It was most common to use Olds housing ends & the axles were made accordingly.

9. squirrel

squirrel

did you look up the part numbers for the bearings for both donor cars, and compare the dimensions?

10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Swapping out the ends to Olds and purchasing appropiate axles is the wise and most common thing to do. along with the availability of disc brake kits. A lot of assoc are now requiring the use of aftermaket axles(over cut down and re-splined) for the faster classes

11. judgeyoung

judgeyoung

I have short aftermarket axles. I am not sure of the bearing style on them. They are axles previously used in a dragster. It is possible that they already have olds or 9" bearings, if that was a "not-unusual" practice, I just don't know. I will try to check the bearing numbers to verify. I just assumed that since they were mopar one-piece axles, they would have the later mopar bearings.
    If the late mopar bearings will fit in the same axle housing ends of the early two-piece axle rear, I can just shorten the housing, use the dragster axles and be done. If the factory "one-piece axle" and "two piece axles" housing ends are different and the short axles fit later ends, I will locate and weld those on the early housing. If the short axles use other bearings like early Olds, I will just weld THOSE ends on.

I am still wanting to know the original question: Are the housing ends different for two piece mopar axles and one piece mopar axles?

12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Different axle makes have different back spacing from the flange face to the bearing housing.
    MOPAR and Big bearing FORD is 2.36"
    OLDS is 2.91"

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri