Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs ???? MYSTERY MERC ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austinrod, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

Having been around cars like these from the 80s , you might be shocked at what that car looks like from the underside .
    Crap scabbed everywhere to hold roll pans valances etc. a few minutes under the car and in the wheel wells will tell a lot about the quality of the build . It may not be worth trying to unscrew what's been done . Like it as is or move on kinda thing .
    Good luck in your search !

Sent from the frozen North

2. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Thanks stanlow

3. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

4. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

that car is all wrong ..cept the flatty

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

It took me 62 years to get a '32 Roadster, but it was worth the wait!
    Don't jump into something that will become a "money pit" to make it the way you would want a Merc'.
    That car will draw a lot of attention, mostly unwanted!
    I would guess there is at least 50 pounds of "mud" still on that car, the builder was a heck of a sculptor!
    Sorry to be so negative, but it's just the way I see it.
    KK

6. Reminds me of Fonzs out of NY he passed some years ago The paint is diffrent but the over the top body mods just reminds me of his.

7. Squablow

Squablow

No history on the car unfortunately, but it looks like it had some very high quality work done at one time, and an unfortunate update.

$40K is pretty steep, but I think that car could be a great custom again without having to repaint it, and it's got a very nice chop IMO and a cool engine so those are big pluses.

Those bumper pans could be cut off and bumpers installed without any of the cut lines showing. My '52 Ford had a similar rolled pan built onto it which I was able to cut away and replace with a bumper without wrecking the paint. The chop has all of it's window surround trim pieces in place and looks very good, the louvered hood is nice, no ugly painted on graphics (shockingly), and I personally like the license plate treatment and the Impala roof scoop.

The wheels would have to be changed, the seats and steering wheel and column would hit the trash but all that stuff unbolts. The most difficult part would be cutting the headlight bullshit down without destroying the paint job, but I'd bet if you were careful they could be cut off and a regular headlight bezel could be screwed on, covering the cut lines.

It would be a solid winter's worth of work, and several thousand for bumpers and seats and other small bits, but would produce a beautiful custom when done.

IF the unseen parts of the car were clean/good workmanship, and IF the price was right (which it currently isn't), I would take on this car. I think it could be really great.

drdave and Chris like this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I first saw this car at the KKOA show in Davenport Iowa in 89. I liked the car, It was chopped ,had molded bumpers and eagle beaks(Headlight eye brow). Didn`t get a pic of it. Had something laying on the hood. Then it was there again in 98. Or and maybe at the Merc/Duce Reunion in 99. I was hoping it would be at the show again so I could get a pic of it. This is where the Pic came from. I really liked the car for the time period. It was parked along the fence in the shade. I`m thinkin it was from Iowa, possibly somewhere close to the show .I don`t think it moved from it`s spot all weekend. I almost didn`t recognize it if it wasn`t for the headlight treatment. Scan0065.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Austinrod like this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Can't help but wonder how much Bondo is on that car.
    It surely is "different" but it would take a special buyer to cough up $40K.
    Tastes have changed since those days.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Hope that you find specific history/info that you are looking for - unique ride that raises more questions

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If it had bad body work done, it would surely show by now.

Austinrod, Squablow and Sancho like this.
  12. Yea but it's got air conditioning and a heater. I bet that flatty loves that. I already see missing bolts on the motor.
    Be careful with a DEALER/stealer.... Jump in it and turn all that shit on and go out and jump on it and see it it will even get out of it's own way. I bet it's heavy as hell plus with the ac....
    Spend your money on the other one you like unless you know something we don't about. Your money your car. We just like to talk about it;)

13. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Thank you stanlow

Sancho and stanlow69 like this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

That's a good point. Assuming it hasn't been repainted, it's probably quality bodywork underneath to hold up so well for so many years. Still needs a serious reworking in my opinion, but you'd have a good starting point.

Good points there too. I think the A/C would have to get thrown out with the seats and steering column. It's ugly anyway.

15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I love the Merc's but I would have to offer half what he's asking which probably would be close to what he paid for it!

16. Rand Man

Rand Man

I don't think that dealer has anywhere near 20 grand in it, but that's another subject. I agree with Squablow. It could be saved, with the right effort.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

You save 10K Merc's, not 40K Merc's, unless it has some historical value!

18. williebill

williebill

Nothing wrong with the Impala roof scoop, or the trunklid treatment. It needs bumpers, a different steering wheel, and a few other things. Look very closely at the bodywork before you cough up a dime. I bet it can be bought for less than 40K, maybe a lot less.

kiwijeff and Squablow like this.
  19. alchemy

alchemy

Mauled Merc.

49ratfink and lurker mick like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just couldn't pull the trigger on it unless it was at 10K. Your going to put 40 in it so it will be worth 30. Styles are always changing but I believes this one won't make it back. Good luck.

21. Squablow

Squablow

Fuck the dealer's big inflated price, this car has a shitload of time and good workmanship in it already, and the right guy willing to put in the time could make it great without having to start from scratch.

I'm sure there would be a couple grand cost in the bumpers, and another couple grand in seats and upholstery, and probably another grand in little shit like mirrors, steering wheel/column, ect, plus probably 100 skilled hours of labor to do the work it needs. That's $10K

If the car could be bought for $20K and another $10K spent in just the right places, that's a hell of a slick chopped custom Merc for 30 grand. Nice ones don't come cheap.

Granted, you'd have to get it for half the current asking price, which is unlikely, but still, this car shouldn't be written off so easily.

The more I look at it, the more potential I see in it. My current '51 Merc coupe project is pretty much starting from scratch, and I'd jump at the opportunity to start with this one if the $ was right.

drdave and Sancho like this.
  22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Lose the sideview mirrors, add some bumpers, fix the headlight treatment, and you're good to go!

23. Tell the dealer a more realistic price, and if he don't agree, show him this thread.

24. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

that quickie overspray paint job doesn't give me much confidence in it. nor the spaghetti style wiring job under the hood. Paint is new, its not even flaking off the plastic wire loom yet. Could be all sorts of horrors hiding below

25. Ribbed bumpers or less modern roll pans would clean it up real well, I am not a big fan of the deck lid either, but I could live with the rest of the body and probably learn to like the deck lid.

Wish I had some info for ya. With a little love (I'm sure you could love on it enough) it could be a real fine cruiser.

26. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Thanks porknbeaner

27. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Notice it had a different grill back then
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. You can't put a square peg in a round hole.

Slopok likes this.
  29. Austin if you like it and can make a good deal with the seller, then buy it. Everyone here has their own ideas and if this one fits yours that's all that matters in the end. No matter what it's gonna get looks anywhere you go. I would still look at it over cars newer than the 50s. We don't want to see you get ripped off and we also want to help if we can. If your into 80s streetrods then buy this baby and put a sbc and drive that bitch from coast to coast. Old trends always come back around. Just don't put square door handles in it to top it off.
    I also think it's looks better with the bar grill and not the merc grill. Go get it.

30. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Looks like a case of customization-devaluation to me. Also sounds like the seller wants to get out of it all the $ put into it.
    If the underside looked ok, I might offer $15K for it considering the cost of fixing it. I'd suspect gallons of bondo are under that paint.
    Might be better off buying a decent stock driver for $20-$25K.

fms427 likes this.