Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 6 alternatives

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by toranadam, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Hello i have a 42 mapleleaf chev with a 216 in it, this motor has given me endless troubles and im thinking what if any other engines will bolt straight in and upto the 4 speed gearbox, im guessing early toyota 6s will considering the 1f is an almost copy of the blue flame, has anyone discovered any other motors that will? I dont suppose the bolt pattern on the bell housing is the same as sbc?

Cheers adam

2. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Only the LATER sixes (194 - 292) have the same V-8 bell pattern. Can't help but wonder how close the Toyota is, but it's my understanding that NOTHING interchanges between the two.

3. 'Mo

'Mo

4. You beat me to it Mo:D.
    All you really need is a new water pump and @MotherTrucker sells them for a price.

5. The 216/235/261 are normally trouble free engines, however, the 216 and early 235's lose popularity, due to having the splash oiler systems.
    Getting a '54 and up FULL PRESSURE 235 will work well for you.
    Forget the belly button SBC, the real fun is with an inliner !
    FYI, your bell will fit the 235 engine.

leadfootloon and 'Mo like this.
  6. belair

belair

What bob and mo said. 235 or a 261 if you can snag one.

7. HyperThraxer

HyperThraxer
    from Brisbane

There are a number of different things that you can do with the inline and you know they sound fantastic. Got a 54 235 in my 48 fleetline and it goes brilliant.

leadfootloon likes this.
  8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe you could find a Pontiac overhead cam 6 out of a Tempest mid to late 60's. Maybe a 292 Chevy inline 6 . Do a Google search for engine to transmission adaptors . I found several sites here in the states that offer adaptors . Not sure what you can find down under . A drill press and good imagination could help you get something mated up.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Chevrolet six up to 1962, or GMC six, or Canadian made Pontiac six up to 1962 will bolt in. US Pontiacs never had an ohv six before the mid sixties, but Canadian made Pontiacs offered a 261 cu in six from 1955 to 1962. This was actually a Chevrolet truck engine. I believe all Pontiacs sold in Australia came from the Canadian factory, and many had the six cylinder engine.

It may be possible to use a Chevrolet V8 if you can find a bellhousing from a 1955 or newer truck that will fit your transmission. I bet there are Chevrolet fans in Australia that have figured out all the possibilities years ago.

10. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

261 is likely the best bolt in replacement or if you want to do a little surgery on your radiator mount a GMC 270 or 302 will liven things up considerably. For truck duty, a small port head will give you good low end torque and excellent driving manners.

Kevin Wallace likes this.
  11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

235 or 261 would be the easiest swap.

12. Thanks everyone, i was hoping the bell housing was the sbc bolt pattern so i could use an adapter plate and bolt something common to australia into it like a 253 holden v8 that a mate has sitting in a shed waiting for a home

Cheers adam

13. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Don't take this the wrong way, because generally speaking I'm a Chevy guy. However Ford developed the 300 inline 6 much longer than anybody else. They are pretty much bullet proof and if I remember correctly offer a cross flow head readily available, as well as fuel injection if you're so inclined.

Devin

14. How about a holden 202 with an adaptor plate? If you keep your eyes open , 235's sometimes come up, and will bolt straight in. Campbelltown swap meet coming up soon, maybe something will come up there.

15. if i was replacing an inline 6 and sticking w/ another inline 6, i would go w/ a 250 .... decent power to them, imo

16. As I sift through my 68 year old memory, I'm thinking the big 4 speed trans used the more modern trans mount pattern. If that's so, you'd think a 55-59 chev pickup V/8 bell housing would bolt up to that old 4 speed trans and also to the GM v/8 engine. And a '60-61 V/8 bell housing would give you the hydraulic clutch actuation.
    All this is dependent on if the transmission bolt patterns are the same. I know full well the 1/2 ton and passenger cars used that tiny transmission bolt pattern and wouldn't work but check your '42 trans bolt pattern...maybe it'll work!
    Oh, BTW, your initial question is if the pre 62 chev 6 and V/8 bell housing pattern [against the engine] are the same and no, they're like boys and girls..completely different.

17. Harland grunder

Harland grunder

I went the v eight route all you have to do is use the front baaring retainer from a trip five Chevy and enlarge one hole in the stock trans.

18. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I installed a 292 with lump port head and Langdon cast iron split headers in my '57 GMC 100. Runs like a scalded dog.