Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrysler flathead six question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2loud2old, Jan 8, 2017.

1. 2loud2old

2loud2old

I am looking at an old Chrysler that has a 241.5 cu.in. flathead. I am well aware of the unpopularity of the Chrysler flathead sixes in hot rodding circles. I do not intend to attempt to make this car into performance car. If I buy it I am thinking of making it cosmetically look a little better under the hood. Nice head, multiple carbs and dual exhaust. I have seen reference to various different engines that share the same head bolt pattern. My last Chrysler 6 was in a '33 Plymouth that had a '38 engine and that was in 1968.

2. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Go to p15/d24 forums and all will be answered. They are sturdy motors, but as you say not really hot rod material.

3. 2loud2old

2loud2old

Thanks for the reply.Can you send a link to the forums. I don't know how to do that.

4. wasn't the first Daytona 500 won by a Mopar 6.....just sayin......

5. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

6. daliant

daliant

Not quite, Lee Petty was driving a '59 Olds when he won the first Daytona 500, but he did race and win with a flathead powered Plymouth earlier in his his career.

7. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Flathead sixes won't make huge HP numbers, but look really cool with split manifolds and dual carbs. I have one out of a 48 Plymouth that I'm going to put in one of my cars.

8. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

All the stuff you need will interchange between all Chrysler and desoto flathead six with 26" blocks. Nothing from the shorter plymouth and dodge flattie will fit. Edmunds made a finned aluminum head, and both dual and triple carb intakes. They come up on ebay from time to time. Like right now.
    Good luck!

9. Earl Edgerton in California makes his Edgy finned heads to suit both the 23 and 25" mopar flat 6, also intakes as well......andyd

10. MidwestOldie

MidwestOldie

You'll like it. How about pix?

11. 2loud2old

2loud2old

Thanks again for all of the input. I have heard mention of 23",25"and 26" blocks. I don't know what the head measurement is on the car I am considering buying. Car belonged to a friend that was an avid Chrysler guy. He passed last year and left a small collection of Chryslers. I may be able to get this one from the estate. One of those instances where you have to wait until the right time. Cars will be sold probably in the spring. Still, don't want to push it too much.
    Met the guy at a parade in 1968 when I had my '33 Plymouth. He had a '31 Chrysler. Been friends since then. Sad to see him go.

302GMC likes this.
  12. 2loud2old

2loud2old