Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical I need a car lift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olustee Bus, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

Got a new to me garage. It will have a 10 foot ceiling. I suppose I want a two post lift.

The floor is concrete.

What lift do you guys recommend?

2. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

You have to have a minimum of 5 inches of tough concrete for a two post. MHO, I think the 4 post is much more versatile, it will work on any concrete floor, there are movable kinds. The thing that I liked the most, you have a big work table right there all the time. Actually, its an endless list of things that I do with the 4 post, more than just lifting cars. Big item, you don't have to do the 4 point kneel whenever you want to use it. Happy hunting

jvpolvere1 likes this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Even with a 10 foot ceiling you will have the croutch down to work under the car. My garage has 12 foot ceilings and with my 32 sedan on the lift I have to stand a bit crooked and Im only 5'10". Btw I have a 4 poster from Direct lift. As mentioned above a guy should have thicker concrete for a two poster.

4. 5brown1

5brown1

Another vote for 4 post. Stay away from Complete Hydraulics unless you want to be told the item will ship in two weeks and then have to wait two months after your pay up front. And they will not refund.

5. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

It's worth the effort to make a 2-Post work.
    Concrete-cut sections out of the floor, and pour sufficient pads.
    Our 4-Post is always in the way, unless you're working directly under the center of the vehicle.

H380 and metlmunchr like this.
  6. sunbeam

sunbeam

Many 2 posts are over 10 ft and you need to watch the units that the cross over are low the ones that you drive over they get can get taller as the raise up

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  7. KoolKat-57 likes this.
  8. aaggie

aaggie

When I had my shop built I had the concrete poured 6" thick in the area where I planned a two post lift. It has a 12' ceiling so I can get a top crossover lift and leave the floor clear. I watched a lot of videos on the Internet and I would stay away from anything made in China. I will buy a unit from Bend Pak when I can afford it. My friend has a four post setup and it is difficult to do suspension work since the corner has to be jacked up. With a two post the suspension hangs down and is accessible. The only advantage I see with the four post is that you can store another car underneath, of course if you need the lift you have to move the stored car.

9. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I think you need to chop the sedan's roof more. :)

kiwijeff, '51 Norm and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. fuzzface

fuzzface

"The only advantage I see with the four post is that you can store another car underneath, of course if you need the lift you have to move the stored car."

I have a 2 post Manitowoc lift and I park a car underneath it while I have another car on top.

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A 4 post is the only way to go;
    It's more stable.
    The vehicle (suspension) actually sits at ride height.
    Car on top, car under for better storage.
    You can make/buy attachments for lifting from underneath.
    Lay clear plastic sheet over lift, add vehicle to top, lift all the way up and now you have a cheap paint booth if vented properly.
    Guess it depends on what you plan to do with it!

chevyfordman likes this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2 - check your insurance policy too, some do not cover car damage related to being on a car lift

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one thing I would do if I were looking to buy a brand new one would be to get the one where the cables go overhead, but with a 10 foot ceiling that probably would not work. it is a bitch getting a dead car to go over the 2-3" platform that covers the cables. I paid almost nothing for mine and didn't even have to assemble it. just unbolted it from where it was, rented some rolling dollies and pushed it across the parking lot to my shop. the owner was moving and did not want to pay someone to take it apart and set it back up. the guy owed me $150.00 and let me have it for that.:)

one positive for the 2 post over the 4 post is when there is no car on it you have more space for working, with the 4 post it takes up the same room all the time.

14. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Bought a Bend Pak asymmetrical 10,000 lb. lift it required nearly 13' of clearance at the top and a minimum of 6-8'' of concrete in the floor where it sits.
    Was it worth it? Yes indeed, great investment!
    Everything was planned for in advance as far as where the lift would be in the building.
    We had it installed by the dealer who would warranty the lift and the installation.
    Since you only have the 10' height to work with, I would go with the 4 post lift, but buy a quality unit.
    Remember who will be under it!
    KK

Bandit Billy likes this.
  15. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i worked under cars for 40 years, most of that was under a 2 post. i recently bought a new 2 post 10000 lb bendpak and its great! well built. i also was worried about the concrete in my new shop floor so i added quarter inch thick plates for and aft of each post. i now have 12 bolts holding it to the floor instead of 6 on each side. i have lifted my 5500 lb pickup up in the air and stored my hotrod under it. i cannoy feel the posts move at all when i lift a car.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  16. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I know a couple local guy's who bought a lift JUST to keep the rodents out................................

chevyfordman and chevy57dude like this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get the storage idea for the 4 post but you don't see too many service shops using them. Try this with a 4 post.
    upload_2017-1-9_10-36-17.png
    upload_2017-1-9_10-36-45.png
    Rotary 2 post asymmetrical post lift, cables over the top, clear floor. I poured 6 inches of concrete in the center of the floor where the lift bolts down, reinforced with re-bar and plastic. I also had to add high lift garage doors so the doors hug the ceiling, door openers are vertical lifts mounted to the wall rather than hanging over the car and being in the way. I'm 6'2 and I can stand up under my cars without hunching. If I had to cut out 2 feet of ceiling, I would only be able to stand under the car if I was 4'2. I don't know how tall you are but that isn't much room for working under the car under a 10 foot ceiling.

BUT... it will eat up a 12 foot ceiling so not practical for the OP. I made my ceiling 12 foot but forgot to calculate for the sheetrock, when the lift went up the first time it punched a nice little hole on both sides of the ceiling:(. Point being it will take the entire 12 feet, period.

If I was limited to a 10 foot ceiling I would probably go 4 post with the casters on the bottom so I could roll it outside for pressure washing the under sides of cars them back in for fun stuff. You have to have a double wide door obviously to get it in and out. OR one of those hydraulic scissor lifts. I want one of those next. The local tire dealer cut his into the floor so you can drive the lowest cars over it without hitting. Good luck on your decision.

18. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

I don't want a 12 foot ceiling as I am going to heat and cool with a ductless system. My floor is 6 inches thick.

I have ramps. I may get a scissor lift someday.

19. Phil1934

Phil1934

You might be able to put tall posts between ceiling joists.

20. Low rise scissor lift a possibility for you? Will try to get a photo of mine for you

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hamtown Al likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.