Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Fear & Loathing The Classic Car Dealer: Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's really funny! Especially for someone that is critical of the creator of the website that allowed you to make over 12,000 posts on it!

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Easy man. He's allowed to have an opinion. Opinions make the world go round...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wraymen and bobwop like this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Easy man. I'm allowed to have an opinion... even if this is my forum.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Please. Thank you Ryan. I read the HAMB every day.
    I have been active and VERY supportive of the HAMB, that doesn't mean I must blindly agree with everything on it!
    I just don't understand the thinking here and the explanations offered don't make sense to me.
    I don't buy ANYTHING off Ebay because I think prices are inflated. My choice!
    I really don't like Craigslist either, too many crooks!
    MY CHOICE!
    Don't like dealers, don't buy from one!
    I don't call for banning either or harass those that use them. Can we just not do personal attacks?
    Again, thanks Ryan, I did not mean my comment as a personal attack, merely as an observation!

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No problem. And I'm not saying dealers should be locked up and/or outlawed. I'm just saying I wouldn't buy from one (with one exception really) for the various reasons I've stated.

bobwop likes this.
  6. I didn't mention that I most likely wouldn't buy from a dealer either, but private sellers are just as dishonest! Markup is why. Due to health and financial reasons my buying days are pretty much over anyway.

GZ and bobwop like this.
  7. I'm sensing envy/jealousy here in some cases.
    Are people upset because money was left on the table, when they sold their car?
    Are people upset because they didn't have the vision, to take their car to the next level or presenting it in such a way as to net them more dollars?
    Are they upset "all the good deals" go to someone else (dealer)?
    Are they upset, because they didn't use due diligence when they bought from a dealer, and now have buyers remorse?

Maybe, because the classic car dealer, is living the dream..doing exactly what he wants to do, working for himself (work isn't work, if you're doing what you love).

To assume these dealers, aren't passionate about collector cars is just wrong. Their passion is more than likely what got them into this business. If their business is their passion, then obviously they are passionate about their inventory for the business.

When that passion becomes their business, they have to be more diligent in their acquisition cost, profit must be made, or they close the doors.
    Larger dealers have employees, B&O taxes, lease on their buildings, advertising, etc.
    They have taken a huge risk/gamble taking the steps to get their licenses and start up cost.

I couldn't agree more, with the dislike of those less then desirable dealers (no actual inventory, misrepresentation, etc.), taking advantage of anybody..but I also realize they are not the majority, they are the minority.

I personally have never bought from a dealer, and have no intentions of ever doing so..probably because I'm just egotistical enough to believe I can find what I'm looking for, and sell what I have, on my own just fine.

8. me too also. there is only one thing i eat raw..............................

williebill, ct1932ford and bobwop like this.
  9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

yeah, I like raw vegetables myself

10. I always did like the saying, "Throw a rock in a pack o' dogs, the one ya hit will holler." Seven pages...man.

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

well said!

makes sense to me.

Just today, I bought an OT muscle car. It had been on CL for weeks and the price was listed at $30000 FIRM. I talked to the fellow numerous times to confirm that it was numbers matching and very correct. He described it as a very nice car. It was obvious that he wasn't going to budge on his price.

I drove almost two hours to arrive early afternoon with 6 degrees showing on my thermometer, but with 20mph winds, it was brutal. The snow had been deep, but yesterday it melted to a thick slurry. Then it froze. His driveway was glare ice. The car was stored in an outside shed. After an hour of thorough inspection. We started to discuss the few flaws that he failed to mention. I estimated that it would cost me $1000 to overcome them and that I would pay him his price less that cost. Eventually we agreed. Then I had to shovel snow, fall on my ass, push the car when he got it stuck and hold my breath as we got it up the ramps on the sixth try.

So I did my job. Dozens of others had come to buy the car. Nobody would pay his price. I suppose I didn't either, but I took the time to explain my position and utilized the rapport that we had already built to gain his understanding and agreement.

When I got back to the shop, I called the TLC Restorations and started the process to get the car in for detailing and improvement. I sure hope my estimate is reasonably close. Tomorrow and Friday I will work diligently to do what I can to improve the car and its appearance.

Eventually, I will take photos, write a lengthy description of the car and then advertise it on numerous websites that I subscribe to. I will also advertise in a Midwestern publication. Would you believe I spend well over $30000 per year on advertising!?

And when it is all done, I will likely ask $37000 for the car, expecting to give up $4000 during negotiations with the hope of GROSSING $3000. But there are a lot of these cars on the market, so I may not even do that well.

But I like the car (even though I am a bit tall for the driver's position) and it has great options and good colors. So it will be fun to show it off. In the end, that may be my only profit. In the end, I am absolutely confident that the next owner is going to have a fantastic car that will be very enjoyable.

But my passion is my business. Today I made a new friend. I am now inspired by a new purchase. Let's hope there are enough crumbs left over to pay the bills and buy my day old bread from Wal-Mart. It was a good day.

GZ, mammyjammer, Hnstray and 7 others like this.
  12. phat rat

phat rat

Bob, I bet some here will still bitch because you'll make a few bucks

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

They can bitch if they choose, but if they really study what I wrote, they should be concerned that I may not make one red cent. Their choice.

14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I like the part of the story of the tall guy falling on his ass. :eek:

Just kidn' Bob :D

Roadsir and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. phat rat

phat rat

I seriously doubt that those guys would have any concern at all if you only broke even at best. They seem to feel things should just be passed on without profit.

bobwop likes this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

I quit posting shit on Facebook a little over a year ago because I got sick of listening to my friends fight and bitch at each other. I'd hate for the HAMB to go the same way, even if the subject of the thread is kinda/somewhat on topic.

The internet is becoming a Brave New World out there.

17. I agree. I don't know what more can be said in this thread! That was part of my point.

wraymen likes this.
  18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

The bigger they are the harder they fall. My back is not happy tonight.

19. I can't see too many people bitching about it. I often check out the cars you offer for sale and they seem to be priced fairly. I like the fact that you usually have something to fit every ones budget. I would not hesitate to buy from you. I could care less how much money you or any one else makes on a deal. I decide how much I spend on cars, bikes etc. and if its too much than its my problem.

This has been an interesting read but I too think it has run its course.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That ain't food, that's bait!

bobwop likes this.
  21. What's the next Holiday? Easter? Can't wait!:rolleyes:

Leakie and bobwop like this.
  22. Roadsir

Roadsir

Had a couple invite us on their Florida timeshare vacation. They told me, and I knew that we would have to sit through the 4 hour presentation for 4 free days in Daytona beach and a $50 Visa Card...Had a few cocktails, snacks, made it through video pitch - NO., handed off for the tour of the penthouse NO, hand off for the property tour NO, hand off for the gym tour NO, final sit-down to see the numbers - NO, final sit-down with the supervisor - NO, transferred to a "holding area for the third and final full court press by person number one NO! then person number Two NO! before they opened the door that led to the lobby where they said I could get my Visa Card....No receptionist staffed on the lobby...closed the door behind us and stiffed me on the $50 Visa Card.

williebill likes this.
  23. I've bought and sold my share over the years. If I'm buying, I assume the seller is a thief and try to rely on my own (supposed ) knowledge as to if I want the car and price. I learned very early on to just walk away and forget about it.
    As a seller, I'm so square that I'll actually tell the buyer what's wrong with the car ( if anything), a few bucks isn't the price of my honesty. I was raised to be honest, my father was an honest man, a very good example.
    I never could take money I didn't earn from someone without knowledge that was hoping for a decent, reliable, halfway affordable car, IF IT WASN'T THOSE THINGS!
    Dealers are no more or less honest than anyone else, I have certainly encountered many, many, dishonest, full of shit guys in the car world in my 63 years! And many, many great, honest good people.
    Like anything else in life, what ELSE is there to say??
    Develop radar, not bitterness. Usually people allow themselves to be cheated by some dishonest guy..................
    by trying to get something for nothing!

Kan Kustom, wicarnut and wraymen like this.
  24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Time shares are getting off topic

jim snow and Gary Reynolds like this.
  25. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

had a Great Old Fashioned in New Orleans...Hotel Monteleone Carousel bar...
    uhh what was the other subject?

26. frank spittle

frank spittle

Some of us are fortunate enough to get up every morning and enjoy going to work. I assume Ryan does. I do too.

27. Ryan, I agree but I would like to hope everyone here can offer their take on things and have a reasonable exchange without saying its a stupid thread that only was allowed because you were its author. I didn't disagree with Gary's opinion so much as I think you deserve some respect for what you have given us here.

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, so I might be busting Gary's balls a little here, but I get a kick out of this. You know, I never have understood somebody disliking a thread but taking the time to chime in anyway. "Hey I don't like your thread". Don't like it, think it's stupid? Then move on, leave it to the dunces to hash out.
    Gary, you start out by telling us what a stupid thread this is.
    But then you give us an opinion, on an opinion thread.
    Then we get another opinion.
    Then I guess you thought all that could be said had been said, and you said so.
    Oh but wait, you thought of something else.
    I will bet we will find out soon enough what else there is to say. Maybe there are some HAMBers who have an opinion on this topic, whom we have not heard from yet. This is an opinion thread, folks, of course you are not going to agree with a lot that is said on it.

Anyway, no hard feelings Gary, this is just a little HAMB tough love! You and I have way more in common than not, I generally agree with you, I just got tickled at your thread ambivalence.

tb33anda3rd and NoSurf like this.
  29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the other form of adversary to the "hobby"? The PROFESSIONAL SHOP. Restoration, hot rods, a mix, we who work in that part of the industry (not sure I like that term yet) live every day behind the 8 ball (many have failed living on 8 balls too:eek:). Face it kids, every on topic car on this board, a whole collection or single car, projects, parts, even old tools and equipment, NOT ONE IOTA IS REQUIRED. Everyone here can live a long and productive life without it. So, why does the shop have to get paid an actual profit for their service of your "toy"? How dare we actually make a living taking some old car back to brand new (or better) condition? Can you believe I was actually called a "Necessary Evil" in person, right to my face with no shame? "Damn lady (it was a woman), and here I thought the evil was a car you couldn't trust on a CARavan" (that's a CCCA touring event). Talk about going from zero to hero, you're just short of a god when they net a perfect score, then you're god damn pariah when they get invoices. Faster than a 427 Cobra, zero to hero and back down to zero so fast, sometimes makes you think the person has a serious psych defect with the mood swings. It could be worse. What if I owned a Sushi Bar? ;)

And ya say I don't listen...:cool:

bobwop, Hnstray, WiredSpider and 2 others like this.
  30. X55GasserMan

X55GasserMan
    from CT

I don't know why my post was deleted, but I'll try again and try to be a little more mellow.

What about the guy with almost 8,000 posts that wrote this:

I understand why Ryan ignored him. I just don't understand how. It's like a guy coming into your house, taking a dump on your living room floor, and then staying around for dinner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.