Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical vega box @ presumed 5/8ths 36 spline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobby, Jan 2, 2017.

1. nobby

nobby

bought a 5/8ths 36 splined uj = too big 15.8750mm
    bought a 9/16ths 36 splined uj = too small 14.28750mm
    does borgeson or flaming river make a 19/32 36 splined u/j =15.08125mm
    as my guess is the repopped input splines are hobbed 15mm
    3rd time maybe the charm

2. Fordors

Fordors

There are Vega boxes and there are "Vega" boxes. GM Saginaw are 5/8-36, as are the Borgeson-Mullins. B-M's are produced on the original machines and tooling, it was purchased from GM. I'm not sure about the Flaming River boxes, don't know about their spline count but they are easy to spot by their heavier castings and also have a different look to the sector shaft cover.
    I believe the box you have might be a Chinese knockoff and from what I have read they may have adjustment shortcomings as well as reliability issues. I hate to be a wet blanket but think about the handling if it has no high spot resistance when in a straight line as some have mentioned online.
    Even worse, some say they have experienced broken components in low speed parking maneuvers.
    I feel for you but consider the conquences.

Montana1 likes this.
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I'd start over and step up to a Mullins/Borgeson Vega box. No place to cut corners. I used to sell the early FR boxes but they went out of adjustment and leaked so I started using the original Mullins Vega boxes many many 100's of chassis ago and my problems stopped. They're more money but much higher quality.

4. I also found sloppiness in fit varies between uni joint brands on the same (factory) spline, FR vs. Borg. Borgeson fits better.

Depending on who made the box, and who made the uni, this is where compounding variations in tolerance can add up.

5. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Things like this are so frustrating. I feel your pain.

6. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

I used a flaming river one time. It never stopped leaking. I only use factory now , I was able to use the larger Saginaw 525 . Beefier no problems bolting up to vega mount. I've used them several times

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. rt1976

rt1976
    from indy

8. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

9. nobby

nobby

can I swap in the guts of an oem vega one lhd - into a rhd one

are the 525 saginaws the same 'physical' size as their power assisted variants
    i.e. shaft length and girth - out put splines

jeep grand Cherokee pitmann arms..........................

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

If you swapped the lhd internals into a rhd box wouldn't it steer backwards?

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No.

12. I've that happen with other boxes.
    Are you asking about the physical size (dimensions) of the shaft and splines, or the whole box?

13. nobby

nobby

[​IMG] hello again
    [​IMG]

I take it the top one is a borgeson one - flat spot on the input shaft
    /\ what about a chevy truck steering box, fitted to the left hand side of the left had chassis rail for left hand drive......now I know when turning to the right at the wheel, looking down on the steering box, the pitman goes left /\ what abouty the truck box, come on peeps have a look
    is that a 525 steering box ? must be?

do you take it as read that all vega /525 steering boxes when turned clockwise on the input
    go anti-clock looking from above at the pitmann

I can 'just about ' get a rhd postal cj5 jeep rhd steering box - bit scarce

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  14. Fordors

Fordors

do you take it as read that all vega /525 steering boxes when turned clockwise on the input
    go anti-clock looking from above at the pitman

Your above statement is correct. Now, here's something to think about. If you reverse a Vega or 525, as used to be commonly done on the old Corvair steering boxes, and make a mount to suit will it be correct for RHD? I'm getting a headache trying to cypher this out, but I think it will work.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. RHD or LHD the pitman arm swings the same way.

The only difference is the case casting in regards to where the mounting ears are.

Whether the pitman arm is on the left, or the right, it is always parallel with the idler arm, and the steering linkage always moves the same way, given the same steering input.

You could take a RHD steering box designed to mount on the inside of the right frame rail, and put it on the outside of the left frame rail, in a different application, and make it work there.

No reversal required.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. You can swap the guts. It won't turn backwards.

17. 1pickup

1pickup

The old RHD mail jeeps(Kaiser, then AMC) were DJs not CJs. They do make new RHD Jeeps, so I'm sure you could get a new power box from a MoPar dealer. Just guessing that if you want a manual box, it would have to be an older one. If you do find a Kaiser, it probably has a Chevy II 4cyl/glide combo. The AMC version was 232/904. Jeep Cherokees, IH Scouts, & some Subarus also can be had with RHD. Not sure about manual steering on those. Maybe google.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything new Jeep is power steering, including RHD.

RHD manual boxes are available for $220 USD.

19. Australia has RHD 525 boxes. It's what people have been using on hot rods for decades. Ebay AU could help you?
    Here is a power one:
    [​IMG]
    A manual one:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were used in Holden (GM) in various models, but if you enter 'HQ Holden steering box,' they all come up.

edit: I grabbed these pics off ads on ebay right now.

20. nobby

nobby

Hi X38,
    I am having difficulties with internation shipping from aus - or I ask the sellers and they don't wish to ship!!!

could I ask If you 'could' send one to me in the UK?

p.s. I already bought the pas cherokee saginawjeep rhd steering box - its too big
    the rhd pas jeep box is actual a zf Mercedes unit - Chrysler/benz

oh, plus I have bought the manual rhd steering box new, can't get a joint to fit, am now worried that IF they can't cut the splines correctly, what inside - or just how good is the parabolic helical channel!!!!!!!!!

so, IDEALLY I want a rhd postal jeep box with SAGINAW cast into it!!!

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://m.buyautoparts.com/plabuynow...H4Ho1mvF5U4XohlAePCSCKpxp0hSiSV3VJBoCNBfw_wcB

22. nobby

nobby

oh, the worm, sector and recip blok appear to be used in main stream steering boxes
    Kubota tractors for example, would appear that the giblets are good,
    so, someone orders 100 sectors, rhd worms 'full length blank shafts I would assume!!!!!
    , recip blocks
    has veg bodys cast rhd, but alas machines the splines on Friday afternoon
    so it transpires the worms are handed, who'da thunkit

ttutch

all is not lost, on looking at that large hot rod sites 'you tube' presentation about vega boxes, it appears simple to remove the worm gear,
    also re assures you that they are indeed 'tight' @ dead ahead on the sector
    I shall simply remove it and have it re-cut 9/16 interference fit

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  23. bct

bct

I dont know if this will help but you can buy splined stub shafts from borg. In need one for my corvair box that had a steering joint spline rather than rag joint. They are cheap if you dont mind welded parts.

24. nobby

nobby

so kubota tractor 'for example ball screw pitch towards the steering wheel
    =rhd

left hand drive vega - ball screw pitched away from steering wheel
    =lhd

25. nobby

nobby

26. Do you have to use a Vega box? Surely there are steering boxes in England in some kind of car that can be used???

I know some guys have used Land Rover ones, I've seen rear wheel drive Toyota Corona ones used...get to a wrecking yard and have a look!

27. nobby

nobby

this is just for my ref
    rhd= anti-clock ball screw
    vega 140 lhd
    1'' splined sector shaft -
    clockwise ballscrew, vega length 5/8ths the pitch of the ball screw determins ratio

Saginaw 525 'size' steering box
    1 1/8'' sector shaft
    longer worm or ball screw
    as above lhd - rhb

ford 1'' steering box = 64 mustang
    1.1/8 1970 1971 72 = short 1 1/8 sector - looks similar to RHD Saginaw 525 postal jeep - but is actually reversed
    to use LHD stock!!

mopars use a shorter length for imput on theis ball screw shafts worm shafts - ,
    question - is a mopar 1 1/8 steering box using a anti clock ball screw, that will fit the 71 mustang core, flipped rhd

mopar input splines are slightly larger 'I reckon to not cause confusion' 5/8 = 36 MOPAR

chevy is 5/8 36
    ford = must be the same input shaft worm shaft ball screw shaft, but 3/4'' 36 or 30 splined

so, its all about the short stub mopar anticlock ball screw and ball nut - the beauty here is there were a few
    different thread pitches or ratios 20 and 26 I think - you want 20-1
    come in 1963 - 1985 passenger cars with manual steering
    1 1/8 sector
    -------------
    so take the ball screw and nut from the short stub mopar 20-1 - anti clock thread
    fit it to the 71 ford mustang core - leave the 1 1/8 sector in it
    fit new large screw cap without the hole
    find a ford pitman that's correct - as they open splines are 45 degrees of cheevy - so as not to confuse......
    simple

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  28. nobby

nobby

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/390435152116-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
    71 mustang box

hmm, here is the rub, I think its the truck box.......
    note its all flipped to lhd in the pic MIRRORED, cos that's where notch is for the steering column 1932 firewall - just for reference
    [​IMG]
    a dodge truck Saginaw 525 - short input 5/8ths 36 mopar borgeson joint

with the input on the other side of the sector, the input will move 4 inches further inboard
    'on a vega 1'' - maybe more on a 525 1 1/8

the steering shaft on a 32 is then bang on in line, in as much that you could probably use a 1970 mustang full length shaft
    upyo the firewall........

go UNDER the headers instead of around them,

Gain 4 inches of drag link for bump steer, the pitman will still swing into the hair pin.

yo don't then need to notch your motor mount leg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017