Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Chassis Engineering inc. shipping rates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Dec 29, 2016.

1. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

There's a lot of people who think their time is way more valuable than others. There are also a bunch of people who don't have a flipping clue what actual employee costs (including all benefits)are and what shipping costs including boxes,tape,packing materials add up to.
    90 percent of posters have never run their own business or been successful doing it but will say they are underpaid at their job. Self employed folks are used to 12-14 hour days.
    Then there are those who will complain about costs without ever checking out options to get a better price. Most likely they say they dont have the time.
    End of rant. I have to get back to work dealing with maroons who think I shouldn't charge anything over actual shipping costs because everyone who sells stuff gets boxes,packing materials,tape for free. Later today I'll drive to the post office with the free gas I somehow get and then the time fairy will give me back the time I spent finding the parts,cleaning them, marketing them and packaging them to arrive safely. Then the guy working his 8 hour day can complain to his coworkers that he was overcharged for shipping .

2. roundvalley

roundvalley

Go to AMAZON. Trans Dapt 9314, $29. Spend another $20 and get free shipping.

3. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

partsdawg,I guess its time to go to work so I can get done in 8 hours,and go home to sit on the couch and eat bob-bon's.

I think this thread got out of hand somewhere, but there are a lot of good points in it. I am not afraid to pay a fair shipping price. My walker radiator wasn't cheep to ship but it was a fair price, same as my TKO5 spd, not cheap but fair, paid it no complaints. I cant be the first person on here to think that shipping charges are getting out of hand. My problem was with the size of the part and cost of shipping.

roundvalley likes this.
  4. Slopok

Slopok

I wonder if it will become cheaper when they start delivering with the Drones???o_O

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you are self employed. The minimum hourly rate should be 60 dollars an hour. This covers insurance, building rental, health insurance, taxes ex cetra. If you break this down, it`s a buck a minute. Now take a part. Put it in a box. Package it. Do the labeling. Figure the cheapest way to ship it. Take it to the Post office~shipper or have them pick it up. Notify the customer that it was shipped and the tell them the arrival date. How much time was spent. Now compile that to $1 a minute. It doesn't matter if it`s a $20 dollar part or a $5oo dollar part. There has to be a minimum. Now it`s off to my 13 hour day. And people wonder why I get so pissed off at people who text while they are working.

6. rooman

rooman

Welcome to the new world of UPS. Their charges vary tremendously for various reasons and there is a base charge no matter how small/light the package is. Sometimes I can ship to the west coast (from Indy) for almost the same as in state delivery for the same package. Also remember that UPS charge to come to your business and pick up packages and, as mentioned by others, there is some time involved in boxing and printing the labels etc. Flat rate boxes from USPS can be cheaper but again there are logistics involved. CE are not trying to bend you over, just making sure that they don't lose on the deal.

Roo

7. I can't wait till I see a drone dropping off a dropped axle or a crate motor.

8. 54vicky

54vicky

you have to ask yourself what would it cost drive to where the part is.if you find that is too costly then your other option will be to walk but this also entails a hidden cost.nikes or converse or what ever are not cheap.this is to say nothing of your time and blister salve.

9. Terrible80

Terrible80

Wow! If I think shipping cost is outrageous, then I buy elsewhere. If spending $100 gets me free shipping (and they have stuff I want/need) I'll bump up my purchase to $100 and buy there. Pretty simple.

mkebaird likes this.
  10. An awful lot of hoo-hah over what amounts to about six bucks....

partsdawg and mad mikey like this.
  11. the perception of value changes when it costs you money to take a crap during work hours........or you get paid to take a crap during work hours..........

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never order anything without checking several sources for both price and shipping costs. That is just standard procedure for me along with checking local prices at the parts houses that I deal with that have online pricing. Just as often as not the local price plus tax still matches the "good" online price plus shipping and now quite often sales tax.

A simple search for a part number on most items finds several vendors and usually several prices. Plus if you take a few minutes you can find several prices on shipping. And yes some outfits and especially some Ebay sellers charge a shitload for shipping and handling.
    On a similar note almost all of the Amazon orders that my daughter and I get used to come UPS and now many of them come via the post office. Mailman delivered a big box with a gift I had ordered last Friday and told me that the Post office had a better rate at the moment than UPS did and that is to one of the largest shippers in the country.
    Now I have to remember where the hell I bought that set of motor mounts from as I don't know if I got the good ones or the throw away ones.

13. kma4444

kma4444

I have been shipping carbon fiber wings for sports cars for about 10 years. I get charged "dimensional weight". I could ship them across the country for no more than $35 until a few years ago, then the prices started climbing. I recently shipped one to the next state over, $65. I get a volume discount from FedEx but it's nothing like the discount they give the Amazon sized companies. It's hard to explain to a customer that you are charging them double what it cost them a few years back. The only recourse I have is to get as much stuff from Amazon as I can using their "free" shipping.

14. scoop

scoop

I second these guys and see if they ship Speedee a lot cheaper.

15. rooman

rooman

I just put a hold on shipping a seat (for an altered) because of the "dimensional weight" deal. It is a bulky package that only weighs 27 lbs and the charge to ship it one state over (Illinois from Indy) was going to be $134.

Roo

kma4444 likes this.
  16. Put 2 seats in the box and a few cylinder heads to get your money's worth

17. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The two largest mail order companies in Nebraska are Cabela's and Speedway. Speedway actually ships more UPS tonnage than Cabela's. The last two items I ordered were small enough for a USPS priority mail box that ships at $6.45. They charged $6.99 and I got the stuff on Wednesday that was ordered on Monday of the same week.

I have several dumpster accounts in two different states and they raised the rates over 15% using environmental fees and the price of fuel to jack my rates.

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

You think you are paying too much for shipping, try living in Canada.

19. morac41

morac41

You guys have it good ...That same item to Australia would probally be $75 and if you convert it Aus dollars = $100

falcongeorge likes this.
  20. Yea, That's why you guys get together and fill containers of stuff, pack em tight and sort it out over there.

My friend works for a place that does that. He's had his hands on some incredible stuff that leaves the US.

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. Yeah, I used to blanche at shipping quotes to Canada when I was selling on eBay. When they still did parcel post it wasn't too bad, but once that went away it got crazy....

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The dealers can offer free shipping but the manufacture who is making more money on the part can not do it,something wrong there.

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Get this,I ordered a rear sliding window for my 66 F100 from LMC who up front said it would have a oversize charge but when it arrived the actual box the window was in was much smaller and could have been shipped just in that box and would have been much cheaper. The box it came in was at least 2 times bigger and I wonder if they do that just to get more money out of people.

24. Fordors

Fordors

If they do that they run the risk of undercutting their dealers and I'm sure they want to respect those guys. Wholesale to the dealer gives the dealer the margin to bargain for business, some are willing to sell for less and/or offer free shipping for your business. Capitalism, the American way, and the reason it pays to shop around.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

No sense in ordering from the manufacture if thats the case,I will have to remember to find a dealer instead of going directly to the manufacture the next time I need something.

26. Not necessarily. I can think of multiple scenarios/reasons why a manufacturer would be more expensive on shipping than a retailer. I suspect CE probably ships mostly truck freight to their dealers, the smaller mail order volume they have compared to their dealers could mean they don't get as good a price break on shipping. Maybe they don't particularly want to do mail order and aren't set up for it or don't have room for a dedicated mail order shipping department. Or they don't want to compete with their dealers; if dealer volume is a lot larger than their direct-order mail volume, the additional profit compared to possible loss of dealers needs to be weighed. Or a combination of some or all of these factors. Now, FWIW, when I ordered a rear shock kit from them I thought the shipping quote was a bit high but the charge to my credit card for shipping was adjusted down when it was actually shipped. The guy did ask where I was located (wondering about a more-local dealer) but concluded that it would probably be a wash on shipping for a stocking dealer nearest to me.

27. Slopok

Slopok

And Magazines to!

falcongeorge likes this.
  28. How do you live in a magazine???

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  29. ems customer service

ems customer service

just wait two more weeks large dim weight boxes over 3cu/ft goes up 19 % and that's after a dec 1st 4.9% increase, start crying now it could be $90 to ship a taipan to calif