Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welding torch advise needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol'stinky, Dec 28, 2016.

1. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

So my New Years resolution is to do more oxy acetylene welding. I want to do mainly sheet metal work, so I went digging around at work and came up with two old Marquette Aero Jet torches. I am not sure if they can be rebuilt, so I was hoping somebody might be able to point me in the right direction here. IMG_1482976410.187096.jpg

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. >>>> to your nearest welding supply store.....they will know who can rebuild them....

loudbang likes this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

Yes, and get an estimate before having it done! It might be less expensive to buy a high quality complete new set then having the old torches rebuilt. Been there, done that! Sticker shock is not a pleasant surprise. Gene

loudbang likes this.
  4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, old stuff looks cool, but I won't use it if the risk is exploding and killing me.

shawnsauto1 likes this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any good welding supply should have a source for equipment repair.
    And don't listen to the Nay Sayers saying that the old stuff isn't worth fixing.
    The old equipment like that was actually made with real quality and precision.
    When repaired well and treated right will last a life time.
    Not something you can say about the current crop of throw away offshore crap.

loudbang and Drunk Man like this.
  6. budd

budd

try them out before sending them anywhere, if they have O-rings make sure they are good or replace them.

7. aaggie

aaggie

No experience with that brand but I have welded lots of sheet metal and exhaust tubing with gas torches. I would suggest either a Harris or Victor small size rig. The smaller torches are easier to get up into tight places and the lighter weight is nice. Pay extra and get two stage regulators so you don't have to keep stopping to adjust pressure.

loudbang and falcongeorge like this.
  8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    loudbang and 6inarow like this.
  9. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Absolutely. Same with regulators. I got a "Free" set of Victors with bad diaphragms and all of the 4 gauges were cracked. Cost me $250 to have them restored and flow calibrated. Could have bought new for the same or less $.

10. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

I think i might just look for a brand new one. From what I can find there arnt rebuild kits for them. Im not going to try to use the one of them because it was submerged in rusty water at one paint (in the tray of a welding cart left outdoors), and the other one had jb weld and duct tape all over it when i found it. I think ill just keep my eyes out for a small Victor or Harris. Ive heard about guys using jewelers torches too. I need to find another welding supply to ask about rebuilds though, they guy near me is a rip off on everything.

11. ElBurro

ElBurro

6inarow likes this.
  12. ol'stinky

ol'stinky
    from New Jersey

So I finally got a chance to go out in the garage and find my torch. I hadn't used in quit a while and I remember it being a real big unit. It turns out it's a small torch with a foot long giant rosebud tip on it. So I think I'm just going to go buy some nice small tips for it. It didn't have a brand name on it, but I looked up the number on it and it was WH26FC which I guess its an Airgas 'victor style' torch. Does that seem like a good setup for sheet Metal? And thanks for all your input guys.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. ironrodder

ironrodder

I too found welding with the cobra/henrob like trying to weld with a ball bat. I found a small torch called a Meco " midget" a lot hander. Small, light and comfortable. And a lot cheaper.

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

If its in good shape, and has small welding tips, nearly any torch is good for welding sheet metal. The difference between the expensive ones and the cheap ones is how long it will last, and how long parts will be available for it. The reality is, even with the cheap sets, if you take care of it, keep the hoses and gauges in good shape, and use it properly, will last for years. Gene

loudbang likes this.