Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rear 49-51 shoebox rear sway-bar

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ed Angel, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

I'm building a 1950 shoebox Tudor
    68 Torino 302
    65 comet 3-spd trans
    65 8" rear end

Front suspension
    Moog Aerostar coils
    Jamco steering
    Jamco heavy sway bar

Rear suspension
    Posies 3" springs
    3" lowering blocks
    1" rear shackles

My question is this what if any rear sway bar should I run . Has anybody retro fitted and other bar in ?
    I haven't driven this car yet so I have no real world experience on if it even needs one .
    What have you guys done to yours ?

Thanks Ed

IMG_1482834490.049818.jpg IMG_1482834586.867121.jpg IMG_1482834642.977336.jpg

Sent from the frozen North

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
  2. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Very nice car you have there.
    I have a bone stock 51 Ford that I have installed radial tires and aftermarket front / rear sway bars on . The bars came from Shoebox Central , the kits were very high quality and the handling improvement was well worth the investment.
    The rear bar should work fine with your 8" but you may want to check with Shoebox central to be sure.

3. Agree with @petew the size should be fine but you may have to fab up mounts for it on the rear end.

4. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

Thanks guys !
    I'll get ahold of Shoebox Central .
    PeteW I'm building a daily driver so thought since I was putting all new rear suspension in I might want a rear bar as well . It's always easier to make a decision when I can get input from someone who has tried it out . I know when this car is on the road I won't be want to do much except fine tuning .

This car has been a love hate relationship , floors where in good shape but the outer rockers where a mess . Had layers of sheet metal pop rivets and bondo on the lower 8" .

Went from what I thought was a solid car below
    IMG_1482886376.550792.jpg

To lots of metal work

IMG_1482886497.856492.jpg
    IMG_1482886748.600045.jpg

5. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Keep after it , you will love it when it's done. So far your work looks top notch.

Ed Angel likes this.
  6. never felt the need for a rear sway bar

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doubt that you will need one. My daily is set up for road race/autocross, and it does not have a rear bar.

8. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

You have a shoebox setup for road race ? Please post pics of that .

Ed

9. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Have an aftermarket rear bar on my 51. Great improvement when cornering. Have just installed a Jamco front sway bar. have not had a chance to drive the car since I installed it.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I don't run one on mine. But it also handles like a fat guy in the ocean.

Ed Angel likes this.
  11. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

This is good info. I think I'll go ahead an add one to the rear . Unless someone thinks it's a bad idea . We have lots of winding roads , I'm not trying to build a road race car , I have a well setup 65 Vette for that . I'm really wanting this car to drive better than the wife's 65 Mustang , so I can convince her to get rid of that cookie cutter car :) .

flatheadpete likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No. I was just pointing out that a properly set up chassis, with the same weight bias, and reasonably identical contact patch can go without a rear bar, even on a road race track.

If you the rest of the chassis isn't set up right, well....

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can make that Mustang out handle that 'Vette.

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Mine is lowered with cut Aerostar coils and V8 Monza shocks up front and 3" blocks in the rear. It rides pretty rough (not enough travel up ft) but doesn't handle too aweful bad. I was just perusing Shoebox Central's website and may spend some $$ on correcting some things. If I get my wife all upset I'll point her towards this thread!

Ed Angel likes this.
  15. My 51 has GM front legs and runs a 7/8" front sway bar. Rear springs are New, custom built for me from Oregon Spring and I have adjustable Gas shocks on all 4 corners. If I go north from my house I run into mountain roads that are in general Tons of Fun. Come spring I'm adding a rear sway bar because it Needs it! Right now it's a bit like ridding a Fat girl on a Water bed. It's OK but would be better if her Rear end would stay where you want it.
    The Wizzard
    20160624_160403.jpg

biggeorge, Dos Cincos and Ed Angel like this.
  16. flathead4d

flathead4d

Have the Jamco rear sway bar on my 50 with a Maverick 8 inch rear end. Love it. Especially if you are running skirts. Takes a little tweaking but nothing serious.

Ed Angel likes this.
  17. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

With enough money anything can be done , my Vette is setup pretty well with four wheel coil over suspension from Vansteel . I'd rather put the money into a shoebox then a mustang I consider to be the Toyota of muscle cars .

18. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

So the rear sway bar kept you from rubbing the skirts ? I know my rear tires are super close to my quarters , I have to jack the car and flatten the tires to get them off and on .

19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i've installed sway bars on a few of my vehicles, and it is worth doing. just make sure you get a matched set because you otherwise may experience understeer or oversteer.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$450+tax and labor.

21. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

Ha!
    Now that's funny

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bring it over. I'll give you 10% off on labor.

23. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

I've been building cars my whole life , and I'm just shocked that 450.00 can fix such a screwed up front end . The last mustang I built Fox body for the American iron series spec car , had more money in suspension than the car was worth . And my Vette kills it !
    My last race car a 77 911 running Elephant racing hardware still doesn't compare to my current 65 vette . But hey if 450.00 will beat my cars and my buddy's race cars , you will be a Rich man !

24. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

Agreed on a good balanced set , I am not sure there's many options out there . I've talked to Chriss at shoebox , very helpful . I'm thinking he's selling Jamco ? But I'm still researching .

25. flathead4d

flathead4d

I have to do the same thing and since the car is lowered 2 inches, I have to jack the spring down to get enough clearance to get the tire off. I'm running 205 75 R15 radials.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I can make that 911 beat the 'Vette too. I used to wrench/pilot a Kremer K5, before the ex took all of the toys.

27. Ed Angel

Ed Angel

I'm running 205s as well, I'm really dreading a real flat on the side of the road . If thought about cutting the lip off of the wheel well for added clearance .