Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Christmas at a gas station

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SanDiegoHighwayman, Dec 24, 2016.

1. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

2. Merry Christmas to you, as well.
    Can't imagine that new V8 tumbling down your chimney !
    Be happy, be safe.

3. moonman29

moonman29

4. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

GREAT story Thomas... MERRY CHRISTMAS!

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.

5. Yes, a Merry Christmas to all of my H.A.M.B. brothers, hoping 2017 is a great year for all.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the story. Merry Christmas!

7. Merry CHRISTmas to you all as well. May we never forget what it's all about.

Sent from my A520L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Montana1 and SanDiegoHighwayman like this.
  8. You embody the Christmas spirit, brother, you are a good example to the rest of us. Rock on.

9. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Story. The meaning of Christmas.

10. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Beautiful story. Thanks and Merry Xmas.

11. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

some of my *OWN* Christmas stories here -- from the past --

Wellll -- I went out on a "loop" this afternoon and "strayed" some from my usual haunts [ got that "go this way" feelin and followed it several times ] -- each time coming upon someone havin troubles and bein able to help them on their way -- untill -- the final incident -- comin around the curve on E-B I-8 near Spring I noticed quite a bit of rubber in the one lane that I had to dodge -- I had just moved over TO the one lane from the four as I approached the curve because I got one of my "feelins"

Ahead - in the CD - I noticed a small car w it's hazards on and LF down w 2 figures between the Jersey wall and the car -- "lit up" to "land" behind them then switched to hazards only to mitigate the probable "lookielou" effect on traffic.

LF had blown and thrown it's tread - beating the fender - popping the headlight - and damaging the driver's side door as well Female driver VERY shook and male passenger a little excited as well

They're workin on changin the tire and he says they're ok - but - my "feelin" says go check anyways spare FLAT totally [ just stuck a thumb in the sidewall to verify ] Soooooo -- out w the air tank and presto -- servicable spare now the gal's cryin BUT it's a happy cry.

Merry Christmas exchanged and away I launched to be home w family and friends for our evenin celebration. [ we do ours Christmas Eve ] sure put me in the spirit for it

A Christmas Story
    Christmas morning, 1997, my birthday, I was headed up to the mountains pulling my HEAVY work trailer. Suddenly a trailer tire violently blew out and shredded. As I struggled to the shoulder the trailer's hubcap came sailing past like a frizbee. I came to a smoking-grinding halt and hiked up the road to retrieve the hubcap. I had just returned to the vehicle, [all the while contemplating the hour or more it was going to take me to change the tire due to the trailers weight and access to the spare], when an older model Chevy pickup pulled up behind me. The driver got out and introduced himself, seems I had stopped to help HIM 9 years previously when he had run out of gas on the mountain in a snowstorm. With his help, the chore of changing the tire was MUCH lighter. When I asked what I owed him he just laughed. What are the odds of this being random? "Pay it Foward"

Wellll -- I went out on a "loop" this afternoon and "strayed" some from my usual haunts [ got that "go this way" feelin and followed it several times ] -- each time coming upon someone havin troubles and bein able to help them on their way -- untill -- the final incident -- comin around the curve on E-B I-8 near Spring I noticed quite a bit of rubber in the one lane that I had to dodge -- I had just moved over TO the one lane from the four as I approached the curve because I got one of my "feelins"
    Ahead - in the CD - I noticed a small car w it's hazards on and LF down w 2 figures between the Jersey wall and the car -- "lit up" to "land" behind them then switched to hazards only to mitigate the probable "lookielou" effect on traffic.
    LF had blown and thrown it's tread - beating the fender - popping the headlight - and damaging the driver's side door as well Female driver VERY shook and male passenger a little excited as well
    They're workin on changin the tire and he says they're ok - but - my "feelin" says go check anyways spare FLAT totally [ just stuck a thumb in the sidewall to verify ] Soooooo -- out w the air tank and presto -- servicable spare now the gal's cryin BUT it's a happy cry.
    Merry Christmas exchanged and away I launched to be home w family and friends for our evenin celebration. [ we do ours Christmas Eve ] sure put me in the spirit for it

nother Christmas story
    One Christmas eve, while enroute to a party I'd been invited to attend, I noticed on the other side of the freeway, a disabled vehicle that was occupied. Returning from the party, several hours later, after nightfall, the vehicle was still there. I stopped and inquired as to the problem. The young couple, with their small child in the back seat, were traveling to visit relatives in Arizona for Christmas. Their car was in poor shape and their tires were worse. They'd had a flat in San Diego and then had another at the spot where I found them. Without sufficent funds to remedy their situation, they were destitute and desolate and rapidly growing colder. With the help of a friendly CHP officer running interference for us we hobbled their crippled car off the freeway to a safe well-lighted area where I removed the flat tire and with the flat spare also, proceded to my shop where I mounted up 2 tires from my stock, and returned to install them on the couples car. When they protested that they could not pay for the tires, I handed them one of my cards that I keep for just such an occasion. It says "Assisting you has been my pleasure. I ask for no payment other than for you to pass on the favor by helping someone in distress that you may encounter". I wished them a "Merry Christmas" and sent them on their way. I had more fun doing this than I'd had at the party. The Highwayman

did I mention my birthday's Christmas? [​IMG];)

A *different* Christmas run this year --

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:43 am

Well --

This is the first Christmas Eve in neigh onto 40 years that wasn't spent here on the "ranch"

My kids have grown up & have their own kids -- both have GREAT familys & hectic productive lives --

My daughter's in Virginny w her's & my son's up in Rancho Bernardo w his --

Due to the "production" of gittin his family down here, the "witch" & I decided to "carry it to em" & cruised up to RB in 4RESQ 3 [ my 56 Mercury Amblewagon ]

Had to leave Shela home as m boy's family has a small dog, cat & bunny & it mightent do to interject a larger, type A girl-angel into the mix -- TRUST Shela, I do but theirs have never met her --

anyways --

Had a real nice, albiet NOISY [​IMG];) dinner [ my daughterin law's a GREAT cook & my son grilled me a steak to perfection ]

the kid's gifts were a HIT -- thanke to a leetil collusion tween my son & my witch bout what they was wishin for

annnnd

on the way "back to the ranch"

I got to make anuther familys Christmas eve better as they were stranded on the EB I-8, JWO the 125, on the RS w an overheated, older SUV -- the water pump was leakin slowly [ unbenownst to them ] and they had run outta coolant

first questions I asked were "did it die? or did you turn it off?" she gave the *right* answer -- she'd turned it off BEFORE it died [ she'd noticed the temp climbing ]

it took ALL the water I had, but that was just enuf to fill the radiator and the OF resovouir -- so -- they were good to go to GIT home fer Christmas

Made ours that much better as well

Shela was right happy to have us home agin

Felize Navidad to one and ALL!

6-bangertim likes this.
  12. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thomas Weller added 2 new photos.
    December 24, 2014 ·
    my Christmas Eve *day* ride today -- headin out to PB to git some apple-cinnimon-walnut bread from Charlie's Best for Christmas presents -- I happened upon this young fella -- doesn't speak english - doesn't *have* a spare [​IMG]:(

I take off his tread-thrown tire -- [ remember then "treadgators" I've been mentionin lately? ] and convince him to let me TAKE it away with me --

I take it back to my "ranch" where I select a comparable replacement from those I have to do JUST this kinda thing with for folks in his situation -- mount it up and take it back TO him and install it and wish him Feliz Navidad [​IMG]:)

He got kinda emotional [​IMG]:) [​IMG]:) Via Con Dios my friend --
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lKLW8FUrt8

13. A very Merry Christmas to you highwayman. You are a hero to many of us. God Bless you, and a Happy New Year. Mike.

14. Hope the help keeps that Mercury humming for a few more years !

15. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

NO Christmas run for *me* this year :(
    SO
    I've shared a memory of Christmas past.

6 hrs ·
    [​IMG]:)

2 Years Ago
    See Your Memories

[​IMG]

Thomas Weller
    December 25, 2014 ·
    toDAY's BEST [ out of nine incidents ] had a GREAT day out "Playin on the Freeway"

family was stranded in a BAD place w no "juice" -- alternator bad, so they'd been runnin on their battery till it gave up the ghost where I found em --- NOT a good place to BE on Christmas day! [​IMG]:(

SOOOOO on their promise to return it to me -- after they git their alternator replaced -- I installed *MY* booster battery to enable em to drive away and git home safely -- hope they keep their word [​IMG];) most I help in this fashion DO [​IMG]:)

the few that haven't, well, *that* costs ME [​IMG]:(

I've done this same rescue scenerio dozens of times and only hadta buy a few batteries over the years -- MOST folks KEEP their word --

after they left, I checked the black SUV to see if I'd be able to perform a "Coyote" trick on it for it's absent owner -- it had blown it's LR tire and tread whipped the whole side -- inCLUDING ripping the LR door handle OFF the door - went to git out my camera to take a pic of the damage and discovered I'd left it at home [​IMG]:(

anyways, the spare lowerin device had a key lock and w-out the key I was stymied
    [​IMG]:( HAD I some way to lo circumvent the lock, I'd have changed out the blown tire, installed the spare, and driven away chuckling [​IMG]:)

"Coyote Tricks" like these [​IMG]:)
    http://snowchains.tripod.com/coyotequottricksterquotstrike…/

Made MY day helpin this family!

16. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

New Year's eve -- after a hard day slingin chains for them that are travelin TO snow country for the holiday -- Patti took a gift cert her sister had given us for Christmas and called in a "to go" dinner order to our favorite Mexican Resturant @ Grossmont Center -- drove over and picked it up - and we HAD it by candlelight here @ Goose Creek Ranch [​IMG]:) MMMMMMMM

Nice fire in the airtite wood stove -- cuppa joe in my hand -- Shela curled up between us on the loveseat -- NetFlix videos to watch [ NO commercials [​IMG]:p ] all the Christmas lights LIT outside -- [ the 50 ft tree of lights will stay ON till midnight ] Don't know *IF* I'll - we'll BE awake to see it go off but --- [​IMG];)

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL and to ALL a GOOD nite!