Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ** Ho, Ho, Ho, Friday Art Show 12/23/16 **

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Corvette ~ Bob, Dec 23, 2016.

1. [​IMG]
    Merry Christmas from Seattle...

2. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SKMBT_C284e16122308380.jpg SKMBT_C284e16122308381.jpg IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1643.JPG What I learned this week;
    If you rotate your pencil often, you don't have to sharpen nearly as often.
    Long flowing curves are easier to make if you hold the pencil closer to the eraser end than the lead end.
    Crosshatching for shading is much more difficult to pull off than it looks...but Im gonna keep trying...Merry Christmas everyone.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Ron Brown your mid tones have noticeably improved! I always enjoy seeing your progress.

Some times I watch you tube videos, even time lapse works, of people painting and drawing. You'll start noticing things that they move their hand and entire arms different to do. All part of the muscle memory training that will make this easier as time goes on :)

Another tip to try this week, when drawing a line after you start it try to look not at the tip of your pencil but at where you'd like the line to go.

This works even if your tracing something and will/ should give you a smoother line. When you look at point B you see the arc of the line almost in your peripheral vision and your years of hand eye coordination lets you pull the line threw it and connect the dot. If you look right at the tip of the pencil you can't really see enough of the arc of the line to follow it as well so you end up with more little breaks and segments to your line.

It also takes longer to do it staring at then tip Of the pencil

Mark A, Cruisin', biggeorge and 3 others like this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

IMG_4800.JPG Only car related painting I got done this week was some mock up cardboard headlights for our model A project. I just had to see it with lights!

5. Tim^^^I agree with this info,...when doing a long line, you should look to where you want the line to go, not at the end of the pencil;...it's difficult at first but after awhile it's rather easily done;...I always draw everything with pencil first, then go over it with a marker/ink.
    ... it's a bit like some guys are taught to ride a motorcycle;...going into a curve, you pick a point on the curve ahead of you with your eye where you'd like to go, and most likely that's where you will go thru the curve.
    ..I've recently tried this while riding my motorcycle and my bicycle, and it really does work.

6. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You and Rusty are right on about looking where you want to go instead and the motorcycle analogy is perfect. Its one of the things I tell new riders about entering and exiting a turn on a bike...look where you are going not at the ground in front of the bike or if you see an obstacle in the road, looking straight at it is a sure fire way to hit it, look at a path that misses it. Your mind will make your body go where your eyes are looking. On another note...I am having trouble getting my pics to copy nicely to this site. Right now I am taking pictures of the work, but that has a tendency to cause unwanted shadows and kinda washes the drawing out. If I scan them they look a lot nicer, but cant figure out how to install a scanned picture into this site...how do you guys do this Thanks to all Ron

biggeorge and Speedys Garage like this.
  7. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dec Coffee Table Car Show.jpg

Happy Holidays to all here. A small coffee table car show featuring Studebakers with a holiday theme.

ct1932ford, Animal, Mark A and 16 others like this.
  8. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

Way cool work Ken .........Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

biggeorge and Speedys Garage like this.
  9. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

Great job Bill ............Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

10. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

I appreciate it, thank you ...........

Thank you Ken.........

Thank you Wanda, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

Jigger and Cruisin' like this.
  11. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

bomonster-christmas-rat-rod.jpg

Christmas is here already? Man, I got work to do...

12. gene-koning

gene-koning

Merry Christmas everyone.
    Just got done with another all steel little car. This roadster is number 127! its about 7" long, 3" high, and about 4" wide.
    Had to scramble for the Christmas backdrop, sorry for the poor showing, but my heart is in the right place. Gene

Attached Files:

• 014.JPG
      014.JPG
      File size:
      85.1 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      74.3 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      77 KB
      Views:
  13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

our pic`s 110.jpg our pic`s 112.jpg our pic`s 111.jpg our pic`s 200.jpg our pic`s 201.jpg our pic`s 202.jpg our pic`s 204.jpg

SAM3 Customs, Animal, Mark A and 10 others like this.
  14. Michael Murder

Michael Murder
    from Wyoming

Merry Christmas!

Attached Files:

Animal, Cruisin', biggeorge and 6 others like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Ron Brown I would assume a scanned photo should post just the same as a photo file? Whats it doing when you try? ~ hopefully this isn't off topic, figure it may be helpful to others so they can post on the art threads as well.

Taking photos of your work is always going to be hard, I try to use natural indirect lighting and no flash. I take probably a dozen photos and hope for one that's not terrible. Try holding it while you take the photo and you'll find that they might photo better with the light in a different spot. It's all just kind of experimenting

biggeorge likes this.
  16. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When scanned it saves it as a PDF and if I attach it here it just shows a page with no picture.....I will try to save it as another type file R

17. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Update...I figured out how to convert from PDF to JPEG and all is good. I edited my post to see the difference. Thanks Tim

Tim likes this.
  18. tinsled

tinsled

19. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Santa's sleigh. Merry Christmas.

red1web.jpg

20. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

Thanks Bob. And, I always enjoy your holiday offerings!

georgeg and 57 Corvette ~ Bob like this.
  21. Wild Willy

Wild Willy

Try saving it as a JPEG file.
    Oops! Sorry Ron, I didn't see that you already have solved the photo scan problem.

Ron Brown and georgeg like this.
  22. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

That's great!.....love the 'subtle' gnome peekin' outta the grille!;)..... "brrrrrrrrr!!!"

georgeg and Speedys Garage like this.
  23. My Goddaughter who is an artist was looking at all the art work posted here and was really amazed. She saw this one from earlier and committed even Santa and his reindeer are in a bubble ? LOL Great show , and if her art wasn't so risqué I would post some . MERRY CHRISTMAS, Blue IMG_1324.JPG

slack, ct1932ford, Jokem59 and 22 others like this.
  24. I’m going to pile on the Christmas oldies here. Hopefully something for everyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m redoing this one...

[​IMG]

And this also, soon...

[​IMG]

25. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Post it anyway. The worst that can happen is the moderator will take it down.

Animal likes this.
  26. They are all sexy and some are almost satanic. All OT but I will pm one to you xhotrodder . PM sent , and she is a sick pup .

Animal likes this.
  27. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Bomonster
    Glad to see you back on the HAMB all ways enjoy your work..

BOMONSTER and Jigger like this.
  28. IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1338.JPG Ok , I've had some pm's so here's one that not to sic . And a picture of her . The tats , except chest , are not real . She does mixed media from glass to ink design. Went to Ringling school of art .

chriseakin, Animal, Cruisin' and 6 others like this.
  29. Lil32

Lil32

unknown.jpg Merry Xmas to all from Aussieland

quick85, chriseakin, Animal and 15 others like this.