Register now to get rid of these ads!

History TRADITIONAL GASSERS, Gas Class cars and modern TRADITIONAL cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Most of their cars are OK, but I see a lot of Nova's, some Mustangs etc. It's true that there were a FEW such cars in pre 65 gas classes, but not very many at all!
    So I'll say OK, but pre-60 body styles only, otherwise we get 97 65 Novas, try to stick with that. NO Centerlines, NO CAMAROS, etc, the term musclecar hadn't even been invented yet! If I allow the Novas etc, I'll get some guys 64 Caddy, 63 Comet STREET FREAKS or something.
    Sound OK???

kiwijeff and Red71 like this.
  2. elgringo71

elgringo71

Airoso Brothers from Tulare California in taken in 1961. They started racing it in 1960

IMG_6354.JPG

mad mikey, Hombre, mgtstumpy and 6 others like this.
  3. Well , your 65 cutoff kills Many of the Anglia's, especially since they weren't NHRA legal until 63 but only with unblown small blocks and most of the famous ones were of course the A/GS cars which they didn't allow until 1968. AHRA did allow blown Anglia's starting, I think, in 65.
    65 is also when Skip Hess dropped the Blown BBC in Skipper's Critter and the Jack Burr coined the nickname "Rat Motor"
    Here is one from 63 though
    Wilson & Wilson 1963.jpg

EVL401, mad mikey, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Gary, I only remember Parham & Doane being painted black. I could contact Gary and find out. Gary and Steve 1.jpg

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

6. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

carlsbad raceway the TOW cars older than the RACE car ...
    55 chevy
    carlsbad drags here we come.JPG
    DDD ebay's full of them
    76 balls
    76balls.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    kiwijeff, loudbang and Special Ed like this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

I wouldn't name any race car the "Golden Greek" in deference to Chris Karamesines, but that's just me. I wonder if that car owner was even born when Chris started racing?

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great thread, Gary, thanks for posting...

9. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

10. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are several ways to tell if a Gasser was really one of the "original" Gasser cars. Does it have license plates? Surprisingly enough, many did, which tells us that they at one time were used on the street, or had been converted from street cars to race cars. The Gasser (Gas coupe & Sedan) class was originally conceived as a class for street cars with non-stock engines.

Here are a few examples. "Back in the day", you could pretty much drive anything on the street, provided it had license plates... G.jpg

G1.jpg

G2.jpg

G3.jpg

G6.jpg

G8.jpg
    Yes, even Stone Woods & Cook...

G9.png

G12.jpg

G7.jpg

mgtstumpy, kiwijeff, 41 coupe and 6 others like this.
  11. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. What happened to the other thread? HRP

13. I'm sure you are correct then marty, there was a red 55 at Woodburn, VERY nice car, maybe sponsored by Baxter Auto Parts, with yellow lettering. I must be conflating the two.I DO remember them though.

14. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Had to have plates if ya FLAT TOWED

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No no, these were daily drivers. :rolleyes:Right? Is that where this is going now? No tale too tall...sweet Jesus.

henryj1951 likes this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They got no soul, I like the ones that look like they've been in a mud puddle for a while.

henryj1951 likes this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Gary
    Don't want to derail here but do you remember seeing a red 66 SS/D Belvedere two door sedan race at Woodburn?
    I helped a friend with it about 1970, it was sponsored by Baxter Auto Parts.

18. I do not, but did it have Baxter painted on it? In yellow? Lot's of things I do not recall, that was 46 years ago!
    Some cool gassers though, maybe Marty will post some. MARTY???????

19. I want a 65 cutoff to exclude the late models, the Mustangs, Darts, Camaros, Opels etc. PLus the flip top Willys etc. It was around 66 that guys started building tube chassis cars.I'm looking for the old school 10% setback, usually homebuilt gassers.

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Like!