Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Taking leaves out of model a front spring

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodsnwater, Dec 21, 2016.

1. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

I took a couple of leaves out to lower it and now my shackles are at the wrong angle. I want to notch the frame and lower it even more but I'm not sure what length (shorter) spring to buy or even how I would get it in the shackles before the weight is put on it. The spring I have now is 31" reverse eye on a 4" drop axle with a 36 & 3/8" perch bolt boss width.
    What has worked for ya'll?

2. Post some photos...no one wants to give "Blind" advice

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Yeah, especially if that blind advice results in "reverse spring-eye"

4. What engine weight and Do you know what your scrub height will be?

5. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

6. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Small block ford. 4-1/4" scrub line at the bottom of the shock mounts. 5-1/2" to oil pan.

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

How low do you want to go? (Looks like it could bottom out as is)
    What kind of clearances do you have - axle to ground, and bottom of frame to spring?
    Is there a motor in that frame? I see lower shock mounts---- More info needed.

8. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

The distances are listed above.
    Yes the motor and cab are on the frame.
    I plan to notch the frame for clearance to go as low as possible. At least another inch. I'm looking for spring type and length suggestions. Thanks

9. That shackle angle doesn't look to bad to me. It looks like you already pulled some leaves out of the spring. Is this the way it currently sits?

10. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Yes that's how it's sitting now. I took 2 leaves out already and I agree the shackle angle is ok right now but I want to go lower, so the way I see it I need a shorter and lower spring to keep a good angle. Mono leaf??

11. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

What do you think is wrong with shackle angle? There appears to be a large gap between the mainleaf and the second leaf - is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. if you want it lower, then try going with a mono leaf, and then you can play with spacers above and below the spring to get it where you want it, or look into a Posies spring that is the right width for you spring perches but with less arch. that will get it down, you will definitely need to notch the frame for spring clearance though if it goes any lower.

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Here's a pic showing how high the spindle is above the spring.. 4" dropped axle with a flattened monleaf spring.. The spring was flattened to 1" bow... **clic pic for a larger view** 100_3571.JPG

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Runnin shine likes this.
  14. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.