Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 59 elco trim install help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erock805, Dec 18, 2016.

1. erock805

erock805

Can some one point me to what clip is needed to install my side trim on my 59 elco?

Don't want to screw up the trim on the other side trying to learn how it works. So I thought I'd ask the experienced. Thanks for your help

2. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

You talking about the 1/4 panel trim?? Ecklers has those parts if it helps any.

3. ELCO????????

4. erock805

erock805

5. erock805

erock805

6. El Camino

Kinda like a camEro but cooler

7. Mine has two types, in the middle are a couple cricket style that snap into the trim holes (Pic) and on the very front and very back is a wedge with a stud that locks into the taper of the trim and attach to the body with nuts accessed behind the fender.
    And I had terrible luck with the aftermarket stamped cricket fasteners, almost all of them broke, if you have any of the originals left, don't loose them.
    Good Luck.

[​IMG]
    SALE
    El Camino Body Molding Clip, Door & Quarter, 1959
    Part #: 55-195395-1
    Reg. Price: $3.99 ea.

Sale Price: $3.79 ea.

Add to Cart

8. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

The photo of the clip in the previous post is correct for many locations in the middle of each trim piece, there are different sizes as the trim tapers toward the rear.

The clips at the four larger ends (front of quarter panel, rear of door, front of door, rear of fender) are different. A +/- 1 1/2" x 2" piece of flat steel with a threaded stud or threaded hole at the center of one side. This is so the ends can be more securely attached.

The ones at the rear narrow end and the front of the font fender are kinda like the photo but also have a threaded stud.

I have a few of these and will try to get you a few fotos. Good luck.

9. Just as Flt-Blk showed, those are the main clips. Because of the taper, the clip is rotated to fit. The end clips can be made at home as 59Bones suggested.

10. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

When I had my '59 El Cam years ago,(that I regret selling it) I used these style clips pictured and just cut them down to size since the molding tapered on the quarter panel. They held better than the stock style pictured for me.

[​IMG]

11. erock805

erock805

Wow thanks soo much for all the direction. So stressed about losing the trim. Want to make sure it holds on. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

I found by boxes of clips. Do you need me to post some fotos?