Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Chevy Sport Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by drttrkcwby, Dec 17, 2016.

1. drttrkcwby

drttrkcwby

I bought this car through a friend of a friend. Dude wanted 1500 for it, I offered him 500 and he said sold! Car has been barn stored since 1977 until 3 years ago and has 84k original miles! I got the original purchase check as well as original receipt for $1897. Of course the heater and radio were added options!!

My plan for the build is to put another 216 in it, the one it rubs but block is cracked, install all new brakes, throw some new rubber on it and drive it!!! Also going to lower it and repair a few rust holes!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 'Mo

'Mo

302GMC likes this.
  3. drttrkcwby

drttrkcwby

Sweet thanks!!! This is my first 51 so it'll be a learning experience but happy to soak up knowledge :)

4. heritic88

heritic88

Good deal 51 sports coupes are the bees knees. It will be 9 years this May that I have had mine. You can get a lot of parts through nationalchevyassoc.com great people to work with all theybdwal with is 49-54 chevy cars. I have called them for stuff I don't think there is anything about early 50s chevy cars that they don't know. Good luck look forward to seeing progress pictures.

If at first you don't succeed get a bigger hammer, and if then you don't succeed, get a beer.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I recently sold my 51 Chevrolet Business Coupe; a mistake on my part, but something had to go as I had too many cars. 350 V-8 with a beefed aluminum Powerglide and 2500 stall converter, and a 56 4.88 geared Positraction rear end. Lifted, big and little Cragar S/S wheels and tires. A "Street Gasser" sort of build. It to had sat in barn from 1972-2009; paint was ruined by all the chickens roosting on it, so it became "The Chicken Coupe". Love those Coupes.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Nice project, Good luck with it.

7. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I grew up with 216 Chev's - put a 235 in it - they're easy to find and the conversion is simple (and I have one in my '49 so I know of what I speak).

8. drttrkcwby

drttrkcwby

I got another 216 from a buddy for free so that's what I'll run for now. Once I get it running and driving I'll start looking for a bigger six to put in it. Maybe even a hot little build on it, friend of mine had a supercharger setup he's been letting collect dust that he pulled off his six.

'Mo likes this.
  9. dave plmley

dave plmley

I'm with Dave, when I was a kid these things were given to us buy our families'. Mostly we hated them because they were gutless and we thought ugly back then. Blew up the 216 engine as soon as possible and Dad let me buy an old shoe box Ford for $25 that went like hell. Those were the days my friend!

10. Like you, I have sold cars in the past, deals I have since regretted.
    Certainly, I can sense your pain in parting with your Business Coupe.