Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Ford River Rouge Footage 1928 - 1934

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Ford River Rouge Footage 1928 - 1934

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Chucky, thommoina33, 63fdsnr and 3 others like this.
  2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Neat to see this old film thanks for sharing. I liked the headlight alignment fixture. Frank

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Could you imagine the dine of all that equipment and men working in one large building?
    Also interesting to see the order of assembly, how many of us 'builders' use the same build order? The man crawling backwards to install the A fuel tank and cowl, the 32 frame with the firewall then the body dropped down.
    And I am one of those guys that look for refection's to find the crew documenting the event, they were shooting with hand crank 16mm movie cameras, and the poor photographer riding the overhead crane,, no drones then.
    A great piece.

HEMI32 likes this.
  4. Assembly order, that's a good point. I had trouble (as most do) lining up the sheet metal on my 40 Ford. I saw some old photographs of assembly. In 1940, (and probably other years around that time,) the front fenders and grille and running boards were attached to the chassis first, then the body came down from above with full interior and rear fenders. The hoods went on last. The hoods didn't fit great from the factory, I wonder if that's why.

5. Enjoyed it, kinda got extra happy when the '32 cabriolet rolled out of the building.

Jive-Bomber likes this.
  6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice video! In the FYI department, Ford had some customized diesel engines with new hoods that resemble late 30's Ford cars. Here is one photo. I've only see a few of these loco in photographs, none in color yet or on film / video. I think there were more than one of these and who knows if any were saved - perhaps at the Ford Museum? Anywho, hot rodders should like rodded trains, eh? Gary
    [​IMG]

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I like the continuous fender bead roller. Also didn't know they had Flo. lights back then?

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thanks Bomber. Awesome clip !

9. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Ford25TON.jpg 20131025204939_image.jpg

thommoina33 and 63fdsnr like this.
  10. catdad49

catdad49

Great to see this, back when people worked at their jobs. I bet that place could tell some stories. Thanks Bomber.

11. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Wait. They actually built a million V-8 cars by July 11th, 1934?

That's rather impressive, I think, considering the first ones were built for the 1932 model year.

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Really amazing place. My grandfather on my fathers side worked there after immigrating from Ireland until he retired. He worked in maintenance. When I asked him how he got in maintenance he told me that since he was a pretty big guy (6'4" about 280lbs) they chose him and a group of other pretty large guys to act as kind of human forklifts (for lack of a better term). My grandfather always appreciated the chance to work there and support his family.

My other grandfather had a construction business/trucking firm and he laid most of the roadbeds for the many miles of railroad at the Rouge. Then Ford tried to stiff him and they were anything but friends even though they knew each other for years. My grandfather was a large car collector in Henry Ford's backyard and my grandfather was one of the collectors responsible for the fall car festival at Ford's Greenfield Village.

I worked summers for the Wayne County Road Commission while in college and one of my jobs was cleaning the drawbridge leading into the Rouge complex. Watched daily the Ford freighters bringing in ore and other raw supplies weighted down to the water line almost and leaving high in the water.

Went on tour there a couple of times including once recently to the truck plant. Amazing place.

63fdsnr likes this.
  13. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Thanks for posting the footage. :). I posted a link to it over on the Fordbarn in the Model A section.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

15. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Amazing ! even he machinery, no CAD or computer back then

16. No train like that at the museum..although they do have an Allegehny Engine...looks like a Goth Steampunk Industrial Goliath

As for the Rouge...I love the old footage, especially the Ford letters on the stacks. Amazing to see what was done pre robot. I am still in awe when I drive past it....let's not forget the work that went on there during WW2...a symbol of American greatness if you ask me

17. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Great little film, the sheer size of the complex and labour force is amazing, in essence all from one mans vision. Quite an engineering feat in the production line let alone the cars.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2016-12-14_4-41-59.png
    Hello,

Having visited the old Ford Plant in Terminal Island near our house in Westside Long Beach during the early 50’s (grammar school) gives meaning to how massive this Ford Rouge plant was in this movie. I can’t imagine touring this old place. Watching the 50’s cars being made was impressive, but watching the Model A and then a 32 Vicky being built from scratch? Wow, that would have been something. Maybe instead of a fake wood siding sample, they would have given us a head nut from the v8…ha! Wouldn’t that be something? (besides us being 92 years old... today)

So, jump ahead about 40 years… was this 32 Vicky built here and what was the history of owners before it got to the final stage of the hot rod build? upload_2016-12-14_4-45-59.png
    upload_2016-12-14_4-46-43.png upload_2016-12-14_4-47-1.png upload_2016-12-14_4-47-17.png
    Talk about a mean looking 32 Ford Vicky… this sedan was built to drive in comfort and did it well. The owner back in those days was a guy that ran one of the only true hot rod, used car lots in So Cal. True American Mags, highly sought after, today… and that rear ¾ low shot makes it look like the sedan is ready for the starting line at the drags. But, it was usually going to and from all of those car shows, club picnics and hot rod events in So Cal. Miles and miles of fun, fun, fun…until “Daddy put the T-Bird away”…on the lot of course.

Jnaki
    But, what about the long history of the origins and travels of this car since that old Ford plant?

19. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber