Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1930 Pickup Wood Kit

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pipelinepilot, Dec 13, 2016.

1. pipelinepilot

pipelinepilot
    from Ohio

I tried searching ( must not be doing that right?), but I bought a '30 disassembled pickup, which came with a real nice wood kit, but zero instructions. I have figured out the major parts, but metal top sides don't seem to fit right, and a few other areas. Is there a video out there showing how to do that??
    Thanks in advance.

2. Reds 29

Reds 29

I did about the same thing. I have a 31 and it came with a wood kit too. Here are a couple pictures of it together but without the metal above the door, and with the metal above the door. Does that help? DSCN1490.JPG DSCN1500.JPG

pipelinepilot likes this.
  3. pipelinepilot likes this.
  4. pipelinepilot

pipelinepilot
    from Ohio

Thanks Just Gary, your drawing shows where 3 mystery boards go! And Reds 29, great pictures. My metal sides are different. Brand new, but made in Denmark. They seem short, unless I trim the side wood about 1/2 inch? Also, what is the purpose of the two large holes in the metal pieces, mine has those too.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Just Gary likes this.

5. pipelinepilot

pipelinepilot
    from Ohio

my metal does not have the tack holes on the side or front? I guess I can drill though. I have these heavy duty rain gutters, that are straight and do not bend, while the truck's sides curves. Not sure how to handle that either, but that's a problem for later.

Attached Files:

Just Gary likes this.
  6. Reds 29

Reds 29

One of my pieces above the door is new and I put the slotted holes in it so the driprails and vinyl will attach properly. Screws went in the large holes to hold the pieces together. I have the same drip rails, and with caution they will bend. Just go slow and don't try to bend it all at once. Your pieces are not short, notice that mine do not go all the way to the edge of the wood, your visor will fit up to the metal piece and you tack it on using the wood under the visor.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  7. pipelinepilot

pipelinepilot
    from Ohio

I made some progress, but am not sure how these wood parts go in the back of the cab?? One flat board with two notches, and three small boards with tapered ends. Do the three screw to the flat board?

Attached Files:

8. kb cookout

kb cookout

HI; you have the board in the back of the cab in the wrong place, it mounts just below the back window and above the seat spring mounting clip that are welded to the cab

The 3 boards uses those bolt holes, taper end bolt to the back of the cab, taper at the top and the bottom gets mounted to the back of the metal seat base, the other board you have is a support board that fits across the seat base to support the seat springs

later kb

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  9. pipelinepilot

pipelinepilot
    from Ohio

Bob - THANK YOU! I love this site. Wish I started using it earlier. John

10. pipelinepilot

pipelinepilot
    from Ohio

kb - Is this about where this board goes?? There are no holes in my cab for it, and if I install this board, I would like to have carriage bolts (square holes). So how does one make square holes ??

Attached Files:

11. Square holes in sheet metal? Just drill hole and file to square.

12. pipelinepilot

pipelinepilot
    from Ohio

46IH, yes, I know I could do that for these few holes, but I was wondering if anyone made a neat set of dies or something for future needs. This keeps coming up with me every once in a while.
    PS: this is going to be Pinto powered with a C-4 automatic. The cab is bolted down and you can see the custom transmission cross members.

Attached Files:

13. pipelinepilot

pipelinepilot
    from Ohio

after a search, I find GREENLEE SQUARE HOLE PUNCH sets, pricy, so I will be filing, if I even use the board. It seems to have gone the last 87 years ok without one, since there are no holes??

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  14. pipelinepilot

pipelinepilot
    from Ohio

This weeks work. Gas tank and location still being studied. Does anyone know if switching to the Weber Carb and manifold set up is worth $485 for the Pinto engine? If all the pollution tubes got eliminated, that alone might be worth it?? 30 model A 1 17 001.JPG 30 model A 1 17 005.JPG 30 model A 1 17 007.JPG 30 model A 1 17 002.JPG