Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hiwayman NEEDS a Y-Block!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-bangertim, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Are there any updates ? ? ?
    What, where, how ? ? ?

2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

A few posts back, it was stated that the better half of one of our thread posters was going to set up a go fund me this weekend and I think right now the best we can do is to wait till that happens and then jump onboard.

6-bangertim and bobg1951chevy like this.
  3. Just got back from delivering two donor engines to McTim64 and he's on it!
    Exactly. SDhighwayman and 6-bangertim have a meeting this weekend. Should have some info soon.

Stay tuned.

4. Core block looks good, Thanks Bryan.
    FedEx delivered the start up money from 6-bangertim right after Bryan left, Thank you. Then got a message from Racer James that the 312 crank is on its way. Things are moving now.

5. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Y-Block guy wondering Why? HAS-1v2.jpg

6. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

7. I'm enjoying seeing this come together.
    To all those who are making the effort, YOU GUYS ROCK!

8. [​IMG]

Looks like a 55 gallon drum of drain oil exploded here.....

9. Green oil? There was a little coolant spill, I think the flash makes it look worse than it is. Tear down area is dirty, just how it is. ;)

10. Reminds me of a Ford dealership I worked at in the '60's. Boss didn't believe in steam cleaners. Mechanics had to clean blocks in a concrete pit using white gas and a stiff brush.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  11. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

WE have a Go Fund Me page set-up for Thomas as of this afternoon! If you don't have PayPal and still want to donate with a check, PM me or Thomas - we'll respond with a mailing address for you.

THANKS to everyone for ALL the views and comments here... NOW, go help this most-worthy GENT continue his passion - especially you DAGO cats!!! :)

SanDiegoHighwayman and crminal like this.
  12. That's great news and thanks for doing it. Only problem is that guys like me have no idea where to go and find the "go fund me" thing.
    Help with that please?

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That's great, I'm glad Tim is involved in the build.
    This will be a quality Y Block for sure. :cool:

14. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

15. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

16. ken bogren

ken bogren

You don't need a PayPal account to donate via GoFundMe, a regular credit cards will work fine.

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have made the donation I said I would. To those guys actually doing the work to help Tom out, many thanks.
    Continue on Highwayman! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. Just checked the total! Whether you gave 5 or 5 hundy, thanks.
    If you're interested, check the link above.

20. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

on the road "to" Vegas
    As the "Highwayman" -- "playing" on the local freeways -- I had made several "assists" this day -- ONE of them was on the I-8 WB between 70th St - Lake Murray and the College Ave exchanges.
    I pulled up behind an older Datsun pickup on the RS and it was steaming. The gal had the hood up and had already located the problem - a small bypass hose had blown. Well, I carry bulk lengths of hose of that sort for situations like this so we proceeded to effect the repair together.
    The shoulder on the road was wide and unobstructed so I pulled the rig up beside her truck for better access to my tools. She mentioned she had called her husband prior to my arrival.
    As I got out from moving the rig, I glanced back up the road, and there, walking on the shoulder coming towards us, was a man who was a little shorter and a little stockier than I, with long hair, a mustache, dark complexion [ but not Hispanic ] and looked to be in his 40's, maybe.
    As he came up to us, I asked the gal if she knew him but she didn't. At this point her husband arrived and I went to talk with the walker.
    He asked me if I knew how to get to Las Vegas? I said, "Well, yes but I'm kinda busy right now. If you'll wait over there where it's safe, I'll talk to you in a couple of minutes."
    I went back to work completing the repair with the help of the woman's husband -- filled the radiator -- ran the engine for a bit to check for leaks or overheat damage [ none luckily ] and instructed them how to "launch" safely back into the traffic flow -- [ both did ].
    THEN -- I turned to the fellow who had waited patiently for my attention and noticed that he was carrying only a large, old fashioned, red Bible and a bottle of water and wore no jacket and only lightweight clothes.
    He again stated that he needed to get to Las Vegas and could I get him there? I said that I could give him a lift off the freeway and to the train station. He said that he didn't have any money and showed me a wallet that had a Nevada ID in it and nothing else [ and NO -- I don't remember the name on it, but it WAS his picture ].
    Well, to get him off the freeway and out of harm's way and a possible ticket from the CHP, I decided to give him a lift to a safer place.
    As he got in next to Shela [ my search dog and "shotgun" rider ] she GRINNED at him and moved over without my having to tell her to.
    He began to talk of his travels and having just come from Cuba as I "launched" back into traffic and tried to figure out what I was going to be able to do for him. I momentarily got the urge to TAKE him to Vegas before "sanity" returned and I figured to drop him at the Fairmont exit where he could walk safely.
    But no -- he pointed to the 15 North exchange and said, "That's the way to Vegas, please".
    So, I took the 15 North and swung off at Friar's Road and pulled to the curb where he could cross to the other side to catch a ride in the right direction safely.
    As he got out of the rig, I handed him a McDonald's $5 gift certificate book, some of my "survival rations" from the rig's stock, and, as the skies were looking threatening, one of my "trash bag" ponchos I carry for accident victims.
    As I turned to leave, he put down what he was carrying and reached out with both arms and hugged me and said, "Thank you, Thomas".
    I hadn't told him my name!
    I drove up the road to the first light [ short distance ] made a right to swing a u turn to come back and re-enter the freeway . He was GONE! He was only out of my sight for a moment as I turned.
    THEN, I thought back to when I'd first seen him approaching us on the freeway shoulder. He HADN'T come from the 70th St - Lake Murray exchange because I'd have SEEN him as I passed, before I stopped to help the little lady!!
    Got home, told the wife, she said "Tom, tomorrow's Easter."
    --- Copyright © 2005 Thomas T. Highwayman

The WHOLE story -- from then till now o_O

April 2, 1971
    Gentlemen:
    Earlier this week on the way home from work I had a flat tire on the freeway. I was having difficulty changing the tire because my jack was not working properly. A small truck stopped and the driver came out and volunteered to help. I accepted and he courtesly and efficiently changed the tire with the spare.

I was very pleasently surprised to find that he wouldn't accept payment when he finished but instead offered me his card. I thanked him and went about my business.

I just looked at the card and there is no name on it, so I don't know who to thank. Perhaps you will accept my thanks to your whole organization for the help you are rendering motorsts on the freeway.
    Sincerely,
    Joseph H. Byrnes
    Principal
    James Madison High School

[​IMG]
    Strange but TRUE
    Joseph Byrnes passed away last April, and a family member did a search of his name on the internet for rememberences of his life and his note of thanks to me posted on my then, weeks old, site came up. I was invited to attend the celebration of his life, and, while on my way to attend, had one of the most unusual experiences of MY life -- to wit --

on the road "to" Vegas

-- I had made several "assists" this day --
    ONE of them was on the I-8 WB between 70th St - Lake Murray and the College Ave exchanges.

I pulled up behind an older Datsun pickup on the RS and steaming -- gal had the hood up and had already located the problem -- a small bypass hose had blown -- well, I carry bulk lengths of hose of that sort for situations like this so we proceeded to effect the repair togeather -- shoulder was wide and unobstructed so I pulled the rig up beside her truck for better access to my tools -- she mentioned she had called her husband prior to my arrival -- as I got out from moving the rig, I glanced back up the road, and there,walking on the shoulder coming towards us, was a man, a little shorter then I and a little stockier, with long hair, a mustache, dark complected [ but not Hispanic ] looked to be in his 40s maybe.

As he came up to us, I asked the gal if she knew him but she didn't. At this point her husband arrived and I went to talk with the walker. He asked me if I knew how to get to Las Vegas? I said "well, yes but I'm kinda busy right now if you'll wait over there where it's safe I'll talk to you in a couple of minutes." -- went back to work completing the repair with the help of the woman's husband -- filled the radiator -- ran the engine for a bit to check for leaks or overheat damage [ none luckily ] and instructed them how to "launch" safely back into the traffic flow -- [ both did ]

THEN -- I turned to the fellow who had waited patiently for my attention and noticed that he was carrying only a large, old fashioned, red Bible and a bottle of water and wore no jacket and only lightweight clothes.

He again stated that he needed to get to Las Vegas and could I get him there? -- I said that I could give him a lift off the freeway and to the train station. He said that he didn't have any money and showed me a wallet that had a Nevada ID in it and nothing else [ and NO -- I don't remember the name on it, but it WAS his picture ]

Well, to get him off the freeway, and out of harm's way and a possible ticket from the CHP I decided to give him a lift to a safer place.

As he got in next to Shela [ my search dog and "shotgun" rider ] she GRINNED at him and moved over without my having to tell her to.

He began to talk of his travels, and having just come from Cuba as I "launched" back into traffic and tried to figure out what I was going to be able to do for him -- I momentarialy got the urge to TAKE him to Vegas before "sanity" returned and I figured to drop him at the Fairmont exit where he could walk safely.

But no -- he pointed to the 15 north exchange and said "that's the way to Vegas please"

So, I took the 15 north and swung off at Friar's Road and pulled to the curb where he could cross to the other side to catch a ride in the right direction safely.

As he got out of the rig, I handed him a McDonald's $5 gift cert book, some of my "survival rations" from the rig's stock, and, as the skys were looking threatening, one of my "trash bag" ponchos I carry for accident victims. As I turned to leave, he put down what he was carrying and reached out with both arms and hugged me and said "thank you Thomas"

I hadn't told him my name!

I drove up the road to the first light [ short distance ] made a right to swing a u turn to come back and reenter the freeway -- He was GONE -- He was only out of my sight for a moment as I turned.

THEN -- I thought back to when I'd first seen him approaching us on the freeway shoulder -- he HADN'T come from the 70th St - Lake Murray exchange because I'd have SEEN him as I passed before I stopped to help the little lady!!

Got home, told the wife, she said "Tom , tomorrow's Easter."

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
    catdad49 and 6-bangertim like this.
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Just sent links to the San Diego newspapers and to Fox 5 news....

22. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Sounds like a good plan for The Highwayman!
    Good things being done in a lot of good ways.
    I kinda was thinking Tim McMasters would show up for the task. : )

23. Got a pretty good looking 312 crank today, I think we can do something with it.
    Thank you Racer James.

20161213_173013 (1).jpeg

24. RacerJames

RacerJames

Glad to be able to help. It was just sittin' there anyway... :) How did you like the "Hokey Ass" packaging?

SanDiegoHighwayman, pat59 and mctim64 like this.
  25. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

THANK YOU Butch for coming through! PM sent.

THANK YOU 'Racer James' for the crank! KOOL, looks like we might have a 312 a brewin'... :)

THANK YOU 'Blue One' for sending the links to our local media! I haven't had much luck with my contacts... :(

MAN... I really NEEDED some good news tonight, as my new android has become a FLAMING hemmroid... about 3 secs away from making it a frisbee. MISS my flip phone, NO ISSUES until it died... adroid has been ALL issues. I'll give it ONE more try to figure it out...

Again, THANK YOU for everybody's support here! Gotta go bump the GFM link...

26. Moving along on the build. The .060" over 292 block all clean and ready to assemble. With the 312 crank it will yield 313ci.
    15439835_1200404016692379_7404483570253127604_n.jpg
    My donation of an old set of ECZ-G heads that had been ported already. They will get hard ex seats, stainless swirl polished "SI" valves and "RV" valve springs with chromoly retainers, 10* locks and lash caps.
    15590071_1200405943358853_6897534075348530627_n.jpg
    15621669_1200405953358852_9029652132752908174_n.jpg

C2AE HD truck rods along with the 312 crank will give a "zero" deck height for good quench.
    15420782_1200405013358946_3929751375590870644_n.jpg
    Rebuilt and pressurized ECG "high ratio" rockers and a mild "street" cam that will give a good low end and work well with an auto trans. 260* adv. dur (226* @ .050") 106* LSA and .460" lift. Camshaft will be turned via HD double roller timing set.
    15590459_1200408336691947_1779301419789577850_n.jpg

All good stuff to make a powerful, long lasting Y-Block that should be seen on the San Diego freeways for years to come. ;)

27. Gonna be sweet!

28. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

WOW Tim - I'm blown AWAY!!! As if machine and assembly work wasn't enough, you donated a set of ported heads!

MAD RESPECT Sir... THANK YOU!!!

29. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.