Register now to get rid of these ads!

harbor freight shrinker/stretcher.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Stick004

Stick004
    from Missouri

Check again. That Lazzie is listed at $3,499.00!! That's insane... even for a company that is going to use it 8hrs a day.

I plan to buy a HF set, then replace the jaws with quality replacements from Vansant or eastwood when the time is needed. they are the same basic design anyways. then I'm only $150 into a $2,000 set up.

BTW. My buddy just got his brand new east wood shrinker/stretcher set up and they don't function worth a shit. Sure the jaws will bite for years. but the geometry is all off and the handle sticks open everytime you you raise it. It is way out of tolorence and too short to in one area. And what did the tech line tell him. Sand more off till it works right.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    rytang and flypa38 like this.
  2. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I was at a thrash in Cincinnati where 4 guys were trying to take the Drivers front wheel off a 50's Olds. Took 30 minutes before someone suggested turning the lug nut the other way!

Happens to a LOT of guys.

3. luckykid

luckykid
    from Seattle,WA

HF has helped my economy. The first mechanic job I ever got I needed tools and was on unemployment at the time. Went down to the old HF filled that shopping cart with tools, dropped about $300 and was able to start work Monday morning.

I have since then slowly replaced all of those tools with Snap-On and Matco, but I would have never been able to take that job if it hadn't been for HF. Even Crapsman at Sears would have been to much for me at the time.

All of those HF tools are now in my shop at home and work just fine, I actually like some of the things better than the Craftsman equivalent.

As far as the specialty tools go I only buy HF or used. I don't do enough with them to make it worth sending the money on high quality tools. If I were to open a shop, then yes I would drop the $1200 for a stretcher, but since I might use it a few times a year, the HF is just fine for me.

As far as HF not being good for the economy, you know what's bad for the economy?
    Me buying expensive tools and not being able to afford my mortgage and getting my house foreclosed on, now that would hurt the economy even worse than the English Wheel I bought at HF.

Made in America also doesn't mean shit anymore, if you have bought anything from Sears lately you know exactly what I mean.

rytang and Tman like this.
  4. 41fastback

41fastback

In short, I have a HF shrinker/stretcher and works great.

5. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

I took the plunge and bought the 99 dollar one at Harbor Freight. I guess I will see what happens.

6. scotzz

scotzz

If you are only using it occassionally the HF shrinker/streacher is probably OK but I would be concerned about getting replacement parts.........the Eastwood unit offers replacement jaws.

7. tdoty

tdoty

The "Lancaster"-style dies sold by Eastwood and many others are a direct drop-in into the HF bodies. Simple "upgrade", if you want to call it that.

Tim D.

rytang likes this.
  8. RichG

RichG

Well, that settles it for me! I'm off to the cheap store to grab myself a tool!

rytang likes this.
  9. scotzz

scotzz

Thats good info to know..................hey Electrodude..........let us know how it works out:)

10. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Thats good to know. Thanks for the info.

11. banditomerc

banditomerc

So how goes it Pimpin,yes the merc was sold.Just got started on a new project...a 1948 ford coupe.We were sittin around today and decided to go out and chop the top! check out the thread i started"i want my chop".Later,David:cool: QUOTE=pimpin paint;3433341]Hey David,

The chinese ones don't hold up like the real-deal "Lancaster" ones. With heavy use, the jaws go to pot. For once or twice a year use, the commie ones "may" work for you. For ones that will work for years to come buy the Lancaster. Clean and oil as necessary, but not too much on the ramp areas of the jaws.
    I've jus' gotten by with the shrinker, body & stretcher jaws as I can stretch metal much easier than I can shrink it.
    Some of what these shrinker/stretchers can do, can be done with a hammer form, without all the tool marks.

Did you sell the '51 Merc?

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"[/QUOTE]

12. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I did not know that. Good info

rytang likes this.
  13. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

How well does that work with those cables?

14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Thread is from 2008 hopefully you get a answer, could try to PM the poster. Made me think how many are still using there Harbor Freight shrinker/stretcher?

rytang likes this.
  15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Probably quite a few...At 68 I don't need stuff that will last forever and with a fixed income also don't need the expense and there is a HF 2 miles from me..I do stick with Craftsman tools ...I have bought wrenches from HF when I needed to make something special that was going to get severely abused and to my surprise always hold up very well.....

rytang likes this.
  16. Abomb

Abomb

I bought a set about 4 years ago...wasn't planning on it, but they were on the clearance table for $29.00.
    I got home and found one single jaw missing from the package...I called Harbor Freight, gave them my receipt #, and they sent me a COMPLETE set of shrinking and stretching jaws for free. Frankly, I haven't used it much for anything, a few small pieces for rust repair, but it will do what it is supposed to do...I certainly can't complain about the cost...and I've got spare parts.

rytang likes this.