Register now to get rid of these ads!

History HAMBERS and Doo Wop !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobg1951chevy, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Thanks for posting. In the same vein, here's another uptempo harmony arrangement of an old standard. Ya know, unlike a lot of the contemporary music? you had to have some singing talent in order to make this kind of sound work.

Saxman, CowboyTed and LOU WELLS like this.
  2. Jacob helms

Jacob helms

Ive watched American graffiti probably 500 times haha but i have had many nights that remind me of the movie when i look back on it now.

Sent from my LGLS740 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

clunker and bobg1951chevy like this.
  3. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

That's OK, kid. Stick around here long enough and these oldsters will TELL you what is was like back in the day. I'm glad you're around, because its makes me feel less young. I just joked about feeling like I'm in diapers around this crowd, and I'm almost fifty.

All my life I've been around car clubs, and I've always been the youngest member of every local club I've found, until very recently. When I moved to Colorado, I found the president of the local hot rod club is my age, and his daughter (who is still in high school) manages the club's facebook page. She drives a Rambler wagon, the coolest car in the high school parking lot!

Now, back to the subject at hand, or at least not so far off topic. It's not quite Doo Wop, but good period music anyway:

4. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Not true 'Do-Wop' but one of the early pioneers of Rock - and if you spent any time in Uncle Sam's Army during the early 1960's you probably called cadence based on this song - -

5. Roommates again

2bubbas, dana barlow, bowie and 3 others like this.
  6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The East Side Sound:):):)

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I like practically all types of music except (c)rap and hip hop, I need a melody line. Doo Wop has it's special place for traditional car guys; heck a lot of the groups had names directly off the dealership lots, Imperials and the like.

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  9. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

10. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

11. Thanks to JCMARZ for that video....Now if he can find one of them doing "Dancing Partner".so you can close your eyes and think back to the hi-school prom.

jcmarz and bobg1951chevy like this.
  12. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Here ya go! Pleasant memories!

13. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Hell Yes....That was OUR song back in those days.THANK YOU TED

jcmarz and CowboyTed like this.
  14. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

What else was cool in those days was the clothes, and living in East L'A' and the Zoot suit guys from before the war had custom suits made to their ideas plus the pegged pants

So here in So-Cal A 1 made Pegger pants for us guys in all colors [ pink & black etc ] , so it was a fashion show each day at school trying to impress the girls in their Poodle skirts

So what we wore went hand in hand with times and the music

BTW have any of you seen a ' One Button Roll ' sport coat, as the bands would have their clothes made up special and that is what some of them had and very cool indeed

DND

bobg1951chevy likes this.
  15. D.N.D...I still have a pair of pegged pants hanging in the closet...Saved from 1951...don't fit me anymore either..LOL...Pegged,french side seam and tunnel top belt loop

16. oldie62

oldie62

Yes, a lot of you guys know good music, Yes, I recall Wolf Man Jack. I am 70 yrs. old and I remember seeing the Coasters, Rosie & the Originals in person. I miss those days, but I still have all my Doo Wop music collection. One of favorite was Etta James, My Dearest Darling, and the Vanguards Somebody , please. Wow, what memories in my old garage!

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you guys must be a bunch of old farts.... call me when the subject is cruising listening to Lynrd Skynrd and "Frampton Comes Alive"

18. How about Nazareth....April Wine?

19. BJR

BJR

How about the Jarmels, A Little Bit of Soap! Sorry but I have no idea how to link it to this post.

550Coupe and LOU WELLS like this.
  20. Hair of the Dog. Classic. "Now your messin' with....."

LOU WELLS likes this.
  21. If I were you I wouldn't wait by the phone.

LOU WELLS and bobg1951chevy like this.
  22. I've read where there are two types of car guys ...... old farts and young shit heads. :D

23. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

24. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I don't know how to post music videos:(.... I would be VERY appreciative if someone might post """PLEDGE OF A FOOL""" by "The Barons" ??? ......I have it on scratchy 45rpm only, and would be nice to hear it again! A terrific song with a great beat/backup to it.......anybody ever heard of the song?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  25. Cool ....... sounds like request night on the Wolfman Jack program. :cool:

LOU WELLS likes this.
  26. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

^^^ Those were the days....call in a great song, and have a celebrity mention your name....that was pretty heady stuff back in the day:cool:...simpler times with a dial phone....I still got the dial tone phone in operation, but no radio stations play my songs on the radio....it's a bummer:(

Bowtie Coupe and bobg1951chevy like this.
  27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

google "barons pledge of a fool"....Click on first on list which is usually u tube..Song will come up and play..Look to the right at list of songs; if the song has a block with 50+mix in the picture then 49 more songs will play one after the other, about two hrs worth..If no block then scroll down till you find a song [that you like] that has the 50+ and play away..I posted one of the songs I start with but when clicked on here only that song would play..

LOU WELLS and bobg1951chevy like this.
  28. BJR

BJR

I figured it out!!!

LOU WELLS and dana barlow like this.
  29. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Thank you!....I appreciate it;):D