Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lighted Welding Helmet, cheapo !

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sloppy jalopies, Dec 6, 2016.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I had been messing with adding a small light to the gun of my mig welder... it was always in the way... i took an elastic mounted to your forehead, LED light... removed the elastic, [the plastic slots have a gap, you can manuver the elastics out without cutting them, in case you don't like / need it] then duct taped the flange that sat against your forehead [hinge up] to the chin of the auto darkening welding helmet... mine has has hi beam, low beam or both..
    WOW... i can see what i am about to weld better than looking at it without any helmet at all, it moves with me where ever i turn... i no longer weld shadows caused by there being more light coming in the garage door, shadowing the far side of the weld, looking to me like i missed the gap......
    It also works every bit as well for grinding...
    It is so easy and so cheap to do there is no money in it... so i chose to share with all the other grey / no hair rodders out there...
    If you don't like it, rip the tape off, replace the elastics and you are back to normal...
    I laugh every time i weld as i remember how much harder it was to see before....
    ... GO RODDERS GO !

Attached Files:

2. BJR

BJR

Great idea, seeing what I am welding has always been a problem for me also.

lawman likes this.
  3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I installed an LED on my welding helmet about a year ago. I can't believe how much easier it makes welding and how much better my welds turn out.

4. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Thanks for the great idea. At times I get so much glare from the overhead fluorescents on the inside of my lens that I've had to turn some of the garage lights off. This seems like it would be a good solution.

rpm56, RICH B and King ford like this.

5. williebill

williebill

Good idea. I built an outside workbench a few years ago, and found I could see much better to weld outside than with any lights inside. Funny thing, it could be starting to get dark outside, and I could still see better to weld there than in the garage.
    Most of my shitty looking welds are due to vision issues... Honest. I swear. I know how to weld, I promise.

62rebel, Hemi Joel, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  6. Those type of lights are often the freebies at harbor freight.

6-bangertim likes this.
  7. Stealing this, thanks!

8. What a great idea! My welding sucks, because I can't see what I'm doing. My eyes are 71 years old now so they don't work as well as they used to, especially in low light. Thanks a bunch.

Hemi Joel likes this.
  9. I bought a tiny super bright clip on light from the local welding supplier "Praxair" a few years back for like $8 works great, can be clipped anywhere, when I need extra light I just clip it to the edge of my helmet

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have seen info about attaching helmet led lights before, and the stick magnifiers have been around for a while. but, great stuff to bring back into the discussion. also, should include having quality welding helmet lenses. but, there are a lot of people that do "blink" welding, even on the TV shows. no protection for eyes, or skin.

11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I thought it was me that was blind when I welded,,,

12. Fastenal can order safety glasses with you script in them.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They said that I would go blind if I didn't stop...... I guess they meant welding :D:D:D

Turbo26T, Speedwrench and 302GMC like this.
  14. oldolds

oldolds

Enco/ MSC has safety glasses with bifocal magnifiers built in. About $8/pr

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Bi-focals are absolutely no good for welding. You will be tipping and moving your head all over the place trying to see through that little spot in the glasses.
    If you need assistance in that department , ( close up vision - focus help for welding ) then what will work best is a pair of single vision glasses made up to your close up prescription, that's the small magnification portion of your bi-focals.

That is the proper way, better for your eyes although some guys will get by with the "cheater" magnifying lenses they make for welding helmets.

stik70 likes this.
  16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Definitely deserves an "Atta Boy"!
    Great idea.
    KK

17. belair

belair

Thanks a million. Put a gold star by your name.

18. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

I was at a swapmeet and a guy was selling a bracket that fastened to your tip on the welder. It came with a small LED flashlight attached. What a difference it makes.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Went thru some 'changes' fastening a nice bright LED mini light to my welder. 'Genius move'.

Read this, attached a Harbor Freight LED box light to my hood. A BIG 'Bully' to the man from Auburn, Maine!
    Makes me feel like a 'piker'. (a piker with renewed vision!)

20. 4woody

4woody

I first put a similar light on my helmet some time ago, and liked it so well I kept upgrading to brighter, better lights.
    I now run this one: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/accessories/stix-comp-headlight/117249
    [​IMG]
    Yep, a bike light. I spent many years in the industry, and they take light output and light weight seriously!
    It goes 105 lumens (!), about 3" long, and weighs less than an ounce. It is durable, rechargeable and runs about $40.

I leave the handlebar mount off, and use adhesive-backed velcro to stick it to my welding helmet.

ls1yj likes this.
  21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Good idea. Better than my idea of a mag light and looking like a unicorn.

22. horace urrey

horace urrey

23. horace urrey

horace urrey

anashamedly stealing this hope it works as well with tig 73 year old eyes don't help makingreally nice welds

24. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

This is the only way to go ....... IMHO

LynnW

25. I credit getting flashed from welding for ruining my night vision. Forget about driving at night in the rain, I avoid it.

26. fuzzface

fuzzface

Walmart sells a little magnet light for $3.50 in the barbecue section made to attach to your grill for night cooking. I liked it so well, I brought 3 more of them. they twist and turn. Backyard grill magnetic tool light is the actual name on the package. works great to place in the engine compartment in different positions, beats that trouble light that doesn't fit in the right spot or in the way all the time. I also use one just like a regular flashlight when i'm going up and down from the shop in the dark

6-bangertim likes this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

28. aaggie

aaggie

I took my trifocal prescription to the local Walmart and they made me a pair of glasses with big lenses just to the bifocal strength. The frame is heavy duty with side shields and it really helps to see what you are welding. It was about $25 and worth it.

6-bangertim likes this.