Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TIG welder question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check this out:
    http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/
    Jody Collier is very knowledgeable, an exceptionally good welder. and his "everyday joe" delivery in his videos is great.
    Lots to learn there. And get yourself one of his tig fingers, I use mine quite a bit.

HiHelix likes this.
  2. HiHelix

HiHelix

I,m not sure about other Syncrowave Miller machines but the 210 has SD cards for pulse and other options you will have to buy separately. I guess yo may be able to bootleg them from some good soul if you are not using the machine commercially.....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  3. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I believe the SD cards are for saving your setting when used for different materials and thicknesses.

4. okiewelder

okiewelder
    from central Ok

I have had a lincoln ideal arc for over 25 years and it was used when l got it. I did contract welding for a HVAC Company for a few years welding stainless vent hoods. I now work for the air force as a welder and we have the latest and greatest tig machines money can buy. I still prefer my old ideal arc and l see them on Craigslist from time to time pretty cheap.
    Good luck on your purchase it is a hard decision to make.

saltflats likes this.
  5. HiHelix

HiHelix

Not on the 210 they are not... they are for machine features... I have one of two available for the 210 to give the machine pulse option,,,, the other is to enhance the already present ac tig features

6. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I have a older Cyber-Tig 300 that I traded a Miller Econo-tig to guy I worked with.You can really do thick stuff with 300 amps.It was built in the 70's.Use the water cooled but have the air one also on it.

7. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

What size breaker and wire do you have to use for that 300 anp machine Flatmotor 40?

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Mine is hooked up with 2 awg and a 150 amp breaker.

9. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

80amp and #2 wire.The Econotig just wasn't hot enough for transmission cases.Had to heat with torch to get it to weld thick stuff.Traded it welder for welder even.Guy was suppose to move back to Tenn but never did.He didn't want to move the mountain machine.Way too big

10. Sinister Sleds

Sinister Sleds
    from Gloucester

I have used several on a daily basis for the past several years.
    Late 1990s era Miller Syncrowave water cooled

Lincoln 225 min 2000s

Eastwood about 2 years old.

I find the miller to be the best. Only problems I have had are the lead on the resistor in the foot pedal came off a couple times and the lead in the torch broke causing failure to arc. 20$ repair. Best / most stable arc.

Lincoln is not water cooled so with prolonged use the torch gets hot occasionally almost too hot to touch with a bare hand. There is a delay in the on / off with the pedal so if you want to fuse tack panels it is tricky.
    The foot pedal has been replaced 2x and the on off switch has been teplaced 2-3x.

Eastwood machine is decent but the finger switch is an on/off switch. Same problems as the lincoln as it is not water cooled. The 110/220 plug option is nice as well.

I have also used a Miller diversion 180 and I thought it was great but don't have any time behind it to have a real opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk